Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 months post op and ended up with dehydration. I got up this am and my SIL called and asked if I could go to the hospital and stay with FIL because he was extremely agitated after his surgery. So I said yes, got up ate Breakfast and went to the hospital. I was standing there next too him and he was agitated, scared, wanting me to take him home, he felt trapped. I remember standing next to his bed and I got so dizzy like a vortex was coming down upon me. Everything started getting dark and heavy. I told FIL I needed to sit down because I was feeling dizzy. I don't think he understood me. Sitting there I felt embarrassed and finally said something to his nurse. I didn't know what was going on with me. I started getting clamy on my back and chest. I got really pale and I had to go to the bathroom really bad. I had someone walk with me to the bathroom. When I got back to the room I was doing a little better. So I decided to call my son and have him pick me up. He did and then took me to Kaiser urgent care walk. At Kaiser they did 3 EKG's, sitting, standing, laying and my blood pressure was low. The doctor ordered some blood work, did a neurological test, and administered some IV fluids. I started to feel much better.

Apparently, I really need to make sure that I get enough Water every day! the nurse reminded me that caffeine causes dehydration too. the good news is, I don't drink anything with caffeine, but I have been eating a little more chocolate lately. However, I can not tolerate crashing from dehydration. So I will be focusing more on fluids than food. My hunger is probably from not getting enough fluids. This was a big giant lesson. ;)

Have you experienced any dehydration? If so what was it like for you and how did you cope with it?

I'm glad you are ok!!! Valuable lesson on the fluids too.. It is sometimes hard to remember to get it all in!

Despite feeling I was drinking sufficient fluids, I dehydrated the week following surgery and it made me feel so weak I could barely stand. My whole body was shaky and the best I could do was to shuffle instead of walk. Awful, helpless feeling. I got a liter of saline solution infused the next day and it was like spinach to Popeye. Two hours later I was a changed man. Lesson learned. Dangerous, dangerous situation so it should be a lesson to everyone. About 6 years ago I got the flu and got dehydrated. Before I knew it I was in the ER with a blood pressure of 57/50 (yep, that's right) and blood so thick they could hardly draw it. My kidneys started to fail and in the next 5 days they went to less than 10% functionality before they came back. I was hours away from being put on dialysis. My closest call.

That is a very scary feeling. He other day when I was teaching, I had just a tad of the feeling that you are talking about, and I just started to drink continuously and it went away gradually. But I thought I might pass out. My doctor warned me that most of the problems where patients come back to the hospital are related to dehydration. Glad you are better.

It happened to me about 6 weeks ago, I passed out in the kitchen and my daughter was the only one home. My husband rushed home and took me to hospital and they said I was severely dehydrated and I spent the day hooked up to Ivs, think I ended up getting 3 bags of Fluid. I still struggle with my fluids sometimes. Dunno I just never feel that thirsty.

Oh, I'm so sorry you ended up on iv fluids! This is definitely something we all must be totally aware of...drinking. We must drink our Water and literally make it a priority in our day, each and every day. I'm so glad you didn't have any permanent damage from this!

Glad you're ok! I was 2 weeks out and my stomach hurt and every time I ate or drink it hurt worse. So I just ate and drank as little as possible and felt so weak and sick. I had my check up w my surgeon and they sent me straight to the hospital overnight. 3 bags of Fluid later I felt much better and had more energy. I was even able to eat! I was so dehydrated my skin wouldn't go back into place if you pinched it. The surgeon said I was probably slightly dehydrated and then when I stopped eating and drinking it dehydrated me to the point that I'd have to have fluids. Lesson learned!

Hey Dorrie...

what an awful situation... but I am pleased to hear that you are ok, and yea, lesson learnt eh?

I haven't been dehydrated to that degree but I know when I am getting there as I start to get a headache. This is a great warning sign for me and after a few decent gulps and 10-20 mins the headache subsides. If it is still there I just keep on drinking.

I really do struggle with my Water intake and have done from the beginning... not the actual physical drinking of Water but remembering to drink it between meals. After a meal and for over an hour I am too full to drink! It is something that I am working on now though...

Sip, sip, sip my lovely...

Wow...how scary for you. Glad you're doing okay. I was slightly deydrated a few weeks after surgery. Not fun. Had to go to the ER to get an IV. I try to get in my fluids but I must admit I'm not always that good at it.

Another symptom is cramps in your calves. Hope you are felling much better Dorrie!! :D

Thank you for all your replies. I am doing much better today. A little cramping in my calves. I am increasing my Fluid intake. This is a life time change. Let us Rock our sleeves to the max. LOL. ;)

What are the symptoms of dehydration in sleeve patients? I've actually put weight back on after starting the pureed food stage and I feel like I am retaining Water something fierce (I can see it again in my face too) but I'm not sure if I'm slightly dehydrated or getting too much sodium in something! Something has to change though! Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

What are the symptoms of dehydration in sleeve patients? I've actually put weight back on after starting the pureed food stage and I feel like I am retaining Water something fierce (I can see it again in my face too) but I'm not sure if I'm slightly dehydrated or getting too much sodium in something! Something has to change though! Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

I don't think Fluid retention would be a sign of dehydration. You should probably look at sodium content esp if you are eating anything canned, or it could be hormonal fluctuation. Near your time of month?

I was sleeved on April 4th and has been dehydrated for 2 days till I finally called my sister and she came got the bottle of Water and stated till I drank half of it. Them my daughter would remind me every 5 minutes to take a sip. The nausea, dizyness and headache went away and now I KNOW that I NEVER want to feel that way again. Sip sip sip

Have you experienced any dehydration? If so what was it like for you and how did you cope with it?

Dorri

Two months (valentines day) post op i had to go to the ER to get IV fluids. I was dehydrated ,at home i couldn't get any food or liquid down. I have important meds that i must take 2x a day - and the weren't staying down, so it was imperative that i get hydrated. i was vomitting and also had the dry heaves , no fun.

I had to spend the night in the hospital, that was a bummer. They continued the IV fluids.

When i was home the next day i felt better and was able to drink slowly , sip sip. As far as "coping" i just drank and sipped til things improved. But I was not a happy camper felt better in a couple of days.

I also have trouble getting my required Water in daily, but i sure try harder now that i know what dehydration is, so i guess i learned my lesson too.

By now, hopefully you are feeling better.

stay well

kathy