Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Fat Trap: Is Vsg An Escape?

Protein, calories, carbs and maintaining an active lifestyle for the rest of my life? I don't want to fail.

I had these thoughts after reading the fat trap. However, what is the alternative? Giving VSG a shot seems like a better choice than staying on the yoyo train. Also, the Autralain researchers said the dieters metabolism has a lower set point which does not reset for six years....if ever. To me that speaks to the VSG being an especially meaningful tool in this unique circumstance. My metabolism is very low, thanks to multiple VLCDiets over the years, hence I need to consume very little to lose and tiny bit more to maintain. I am so unlikely to be able to do this without VSG or having my jaw wired shut. Hey, why don't doctors do that anymore?

That is what I was thinking also. I already have the VSG, can I beat the odds? It might just be I am feeling a down today, but regain statistics are at least helping me keep a logical positive note. The average weight loss for VSG is at least 60% of excess weight, and I will always be better off for that.

With wiring the jaw shut, I think it is because as soon as you remove that contraption you start eating and putting the weight back on.

I think the regain stats look promising. I was looking at a cluster of studies yesterday that included folks five years out. I also think that for me struggling with regain is an evevidibility I simply must accept. However, without surgery I may go from 240 to oh....perhaps 190, if I really sacrifice and never cheat(?). Then (40 pound from goal) I can begin my battle with regain, without the restriction of the sleeve....by that point I will be worn out by the diet and ever so easily discouraged by any regain....I know the drill all too well. So, I do think the durability, the sheer tenacity of the sleeve will be instrumental in maintaining at goal. It seems to me there are many on this forum that maintain within 5-10 of their goal.

Hey, btw, how are things going with the sleeve? How long ago were u sleeved? Has the adjustment gone well? How has adjusting to so little food been? Have you engaged socially yet? How did that go? Have you had a glass of vino yet? Did your body respond differently than previously? I am scheduled for next week and I am wigging out a bit (understatement). I worry about the weirdest stuff too. Where will my thoughts go, the thoughts that spend so much time thinking about food? How will I fill that time? How will I stay engaged at social or family events that ,as always, revolve around cooking, eating and appreciating copious amounts of food? Will I be able to hit a wine/ tapas joint with my hubby? Will I be hammered after one glass of vino, dancing on the table with lamp shade on head? Will I still be able to cook for my large family, or will this become even a greater chore than it is presently, actually, not sure that is possible.

How are things going with the sleeve? Things are great now. Some days I don't even think about my smaller portions. I just made sloppy joes two nights ago, portioned out my 2.5 oz and topped with a serving of mexican blend cheese. The day before that? I made crockpot honey garlic chicken. I ate one thigh. It really isn't anything special. I just make my boyfriend's plate right along side mine, but I get the cuter plate, lol. It is just a way of life now making sure I get enough Protein and keep my carbs down. I use myfitnesspal religiously to make sure I am getting the nutrients I need.

How long ago were u sleeved? I was sleeved 7 months ago.

Has the adjustment gone well? Yeah, I was doing low carb six months prior to being sleeved. Soon as you get past the Fluid and mushy stages, I really think life perks up. Before that though, you gotta remember you are healing and relearning to eat with a totally new stomach. And sometimes there are hiccups, I didn't get any Protein in my first two weeks. I had a really hard time with anything not a vitaminwater, but it gets better. Don't rush the stages, sometimes you have to linger a little.

How has adjusting to so little food been? It was a mind trip at first. I really liked my big portions. Before VSG, I could eat an entire hot-and-ready pizza by myself in about 15 minutes. Now? I eat about 3/4 of a slice. I just tear off the crust. You get used to it. You sigh, you cry, you have a little fit where your SO laughs at you, and you move on. This is life.

Side note, I really hate leftovers now though. I didn't before surgery, but post-op I really can't stand dried out chicken or even one of my favorite foods ever, pulled pork. I loathe eating reheated stuff. My boyfriend laughs and says, I got picky post-op. It is okay though. I just make a smaller meal that night and remake it in a couple of days so the meal is hot and fresh.

Have you engaged socially yet? Haha, yes, and that is where I go a little carb happy. I may not be able to eat like I used to, but I sure can still get down my fluids. I am really only limited by how much I feel like. I can drink 2 large unsweet iced teas from McDonald's in about an hour if I tried, and 3 or 4 of my low carb daiquiris like it is nobody's business. I have no problems getting down fluids. I like to keep a decaffeinated beverage in my hand now because I almost passed out on campus once when I forgot a Water bottle all day. I definitely learned that lesson well.

When I go out with my friends, I order things without bread, and I just don't eat Pasta. At Chipotle? I get my burrito bowl without rice and Beans, lots of veggies, double meat, and pile on that cheese and sour cream please! I eat about a third of the meat, cover it and bring it home. Okay, I will always eat Chipotle leftovers. I lied, lol. If I go to Buffalo Wild Wings or an Ale House? I get wings. If I go to my favorite Mediterranean place? I get the fried jibneh or kabobs. Indian? Paneer or Tandoori chicken. Vietnamese? Pho with extra beef. If I go for BBQ, I always get my ribs and just refrain from smothering everything in the sauce. I get the things I want, try to stay on plan, and just try to keep my protein up and be happy.

I can eat whatever I want, but I feel better when I am not eating bready things. They just don't sit well for me. I get really uncomfortable. At parties, I take a beer and chat. Carbonation doesn't bother me too much anymore.

Have you had a glass of vino yet? Err... lol, I guess I got ahead of this one. I will have to say yes. I have had wine, beer, vodka, tequila, bourbon, rum... Can I use my college student excuse? I admit I like going to parties and the club. What can I say?

Just talk to your surgeon about when it is right for you, and definitely wait until your stomach is healed.

Did your body respond differently than previously? At first, yes. I definitely could get tipsy off of a few sips of Riesling. Now? Tequila shot, you say? Don't mind if I do. Alcohol hit me hard and fast at first and it tapered off just as quickly. Eventually, you will definitely be able to hit the tapas and restaurants with your hubby again, but it might take two or three months. Again, talk to your surgeon about his or her recommendations.

Don't worry, life goes back to normal. Just follow your plan though for the most part and the weight will come off.

How will I stay engaged at social or family events that ,as always, revolve around cooking, eating and appreciating copious amounts of food? Well, for me, I just do what I normally do, chat up a storm. I carry my unsweet iced tea (blashphemy in the south, I know), grab a deviled egg, and play with my cousins. Same old, same old. I am just not carrying a huge plate anymore.

When I have friends over for a meal, everyone knows I eat low carb, so I just grab a little meat and a couple of veggies and do the same song and dance. I eat slower. I enjoy my company more. If I go out, I like not having to worry about eating an appetizer, entree, and dessert all by myself. I enjoy a little of everything in moderation and take the rest home along with my shrinking waist line. :)

Hope I answered all your questions and didn't come off as an alcoholic, lol. I really don't drink that often. VSG is just life now, and I really am happy with my decision. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Great article, I hadn't seen this before. It made me angry too, because I've always known that my metabolism is not normal, that I need far more exercise and less calories to maintain a much higher weight. I can't count the number of times I brought my failures to my doctors, begging for an answer, praying for a thyroid problem, anything to be a reason... and they just accused me of cheating, lying.... said to eat less and exercise more when I was already eating 1000 calories a day and not losing. It all makes alot of sense. The thing that gets me is if these things are known, why do the doctors still preach the "calories in, calories out" mantra and deny that some people may have a legitimate metabolic issue? GRRRRRRRR!!!

Thanks for posting this, I have never heard of this article either. I have struggled with my weight since childhood and always did diets with my mom, while she took Water pills. I also wanted to know what was wrong with me and why I couldn't lose weight like a normal person. Hoping I had hypothyroidism or something as well. Like I needed a logical explanation! You would think that after the 4th time doing weight watchers, I would know it doesn't work for me, but I still signed up that 5th time. smh. So happy to be sleeved!

Great article, I hadn't seen this before. It made me angry too, because I've always known that my metabolism is not normal, that I need far more exercise and less calories to maintain a much higher weight. I can't count the number of times I brought my failures to my doctors, begging for an answer, praying for a thyroid problem, anything to be a reason... and they just accused me of cheating, lying.... said to eat less and exercise more when I was already eating 1000 calories a day and not losing. It all makes alot of sense. The thing that gets me is if these things are known, why do the doctors still preach the "calories in, calories out" mantra and deny that some people may have a legitimate metabolic issue? GRRRRRRRR!!!

The medial profession reminds me of someone trying to steer a 3,000 ft. ocean liner; takes a long time to turn. They don't want to get out of what they consider the main stream. That, coupled with their ties to the pharmaceutical industry, and just plain laziness in research keeps them stuck to the status quo.

Exactly, it isn't losing the weight... it is keeping it off. Congrats on your sleeves! I am really glad to have this forum to share my worries with. Sometimes, self-doubt can be a mean beast. Thank you.

Wishes, thank you for the comprehensive response. Sounds as though sleeved life is really agreeing with you.

With regards to the medical industry. Correct me if I am wrong, I think the pharm industry is pouring money into weight loss research, although the FDA pipeline is very slow, thanks to negative outcomes like with phen-phen and redux. Anyhow, there is so much cash to be had for any company that can create an effective treatment for obesity. I heard a story on NPR about the latest in the FDA pipeline, Q-nexa. However, in clinical trials the weight loss was quite slow. How about introducing nano-bots that would enter the bloodstream and attack the ghrelin? Joking aside, I think the industry is working on a med to reduce ghrelin or perhaps receptors for the hormone. Hope it works out. As the earlier poster stated, going to the doc to ask for weight loss help has always meant, at least for me, listening to a lesson about exercise and portions. I have left the office so discouraged soooo many times, disheartening. However, guess the docs really had nothing else to offer up.

Great article. It just makes me so much more thankful that I got the sleeve. The women in my family are genetically predisposed to getting VERY large. Before surgery I already exercised regularly and ate like a nutritionist (with the occasional not so healthy food). Yet, every time I worked hard to lose weight it would come back and THEN some. I was told by many doctors that I was misrepresenting my actual intake when I showed them that I was journaling everything that passed my lips and still managed to be gaining weight. It seems my ideal intake for weight loss is 1000-1200 calories a day because I am so very active already. Any less and I stop losing weight, any more and the same happens. I learned a long time ago the doctors obviously didn't know enough to understand me and had to learn what my body was telling me. I know genetics plays a BIG factor for me, but I'm not going to let them win! The surgery is a major help to make it permanent.