Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a small contained leak. My body has built a wall containing the leak from my stomach. I now have one small leak. The radiologist says that this may be the best I can get it and will have a permanent leak for the rest of my life. He was the second doctor to tell me that. Has anyone that has had a leak been told that by their doctor?

The leak has been going on for 15 weeks.

How can you function normally with a leak in your stomach?

something about this does not sound right.... if you are leaking stomach contents into your abdomen that is dangerous and can lead to multiple problems, including infection in your abdomen

I agree with fitforlife. The stomach acid will cause an infection and that has to be taken care of. Something is not right about the information your getting. Is this your surgeon telling you this? If it is I would find a new doctor and get another opinion.

This doesnt seem right to me. I thought all leaks had to stopped or there is pain and infection. If your surgeon said that you may want to consult another.

Well is the wall containing the leak made of stomach material? If so, theoretically is would hold and be fine. The "wall" they are referring to would separate the acid from your organs. I have heard of such a thing with intestines, almost like a hernia, where part of the intestine gets stretched out into an offshoot but is fine. Like this ____[]___

Make sense? lol

I don't know how that would work with a "leak" though.

The leak is not going into my abdomen, it just pools into this small area. My surgeon has not told me this, it was the radiologists performing the upper GI that told me about this.

Ignore radiology. Treatment is not their job. Call your surgeon. There is no reason for you to have a "lifelong" leak.

my gf went in for a sleeve in January, she was supposed to be home 2 days later. She came home a month later after almost dying. This surgery was her choice. It's now 3 plus months after and she's been in the hospital again for almost 2 weeks. I've lost all vacation time that I really need, all of my savings are gone.

This surgery isn't just about you. I will take care of her. Just think though, Who takes care of those who take care of you?

Wow! I am so sorry to hear that. It has to be very awful for you and your gf. This is not the way it goes for the majority of people though. The complication rate for this surgery is

only 1%.

I will be very interested to read what your surgeon tells you about your leak that the anesthesiologist told you maybe

permanent. Your surgeon will know the next course of action.

This is really stressful to have a leak for ever. I'd talk to your surgeon. He/she will need to repair it. Hang in there ;)

Maggi would you mind sharing what happened?

My gf had her sleeve done on January 10th. She developed a 'leak'. She was rushed back into surgery on Jan 11th at 3 am when they discovered the leak. She became septic and was in the ICU with a 50/50 chance for life for 3+ weeks. It seemed like forever for her organs to start working well. She still has troubles with one of her lungs.

After another week out of the ICU they sent her home. She was home for almost 3 hours when I rushed her back in with a 104 degree fever and was vomiting. During that stay 2 abscesses were discovered.

She went in to her doctors three weeks ago for IV fluids and called two weeks ago for more fluids and a reported increase in pain in her abdomen. I took her in two weeks ago Tuesday. They put another drainage tube in another abscess that had grown up under her ribcage. The original drainage tube had failed and flushed itself out during one of the Friday surgeon visits so there's now a new one in and a PICC line in her left arm to come home with also so we can give her fluids, fats, carbs, Vitamins directly via her own IV line.

She's a trouper. I hate seeing her go through this. But, she used to have horrible Migraines and the surgery has helped with those. She also doesn't snore at all anymore. I trust that this will all come to an end. I'm guessing it will be another 6 months at least though. For now, it's just keeping on top of her symptoms and health.

We have a standing Friday appointment with the surgeon every week when she's out. I have his cell number and is a good guy with fantastic credentials and history. He's the guy people go to when they get leaks from other surgeons.

I realize that this is an extreme case and while leaks do happen they can be sealed relatively soon (weeks). I wish everyone well. I hope you all have safe and speedy recoveries. Thanks for listening. I was mostly feeling sorry for myself yesterday.

Maggi ~ Wow your GF has gone through a lot with her sleeve. Hope she gets better really soon. She must be horridly scared right now. ;)

Mind if I ask who the original surgeons name is?

Your Girlfriend's stories sounds like mine,except I had no abscess and my PICC line is on my right arm on my inner elbow. I have been on IV fluids for almost 17 weeks now. I have been on short term disability for the last 17 weeks and is currently working part time only. Let her know that she is not alone! It may feel that you are the only person that goes through a massive leak but there are people here that have been through the same thing and can definitely relate. If she would like to send me an email, my email address is Candice1222@yahoo.com!