Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Week Post Op....fuzzy Tongue?

I am one week post op today. I've been on Clear liquids and Protein Shakes for 1 week pre op, and then this week,

Anyway, I've had a funny metallic taste in my mouth for a couple of days, found out today that's caused by not getting enough Protein. That's not surprising, I've been struggling in that area.

Besides the funny taste, I just looked in the mirror, and my tongue is totally white. Furthermore, I have this weird feeling like there is something stuck at the back of my throat. Like I ate a piece of paper and it's stuck on the very back of my tongue. When I just looked, and saw the fuzzy tongue, it looks like I also have lots of bumps on the back of my tongue.

Any ideas?

Yup, possibly thrush or such...with the protien drinks you have to be sooooo on top of brushing your tongue and rinsing out your mouth.

It may be a Vitamin deficiency or even getting too much of something. Keep in mind if your Vitamins are out of whack on the amount of an ingredient tht could be an issue too - there was a case of too much selenium in a Vitamin supplement that killed people.

If I were not at work I would research it more for you. :(

Are you on any meds?? It could be a reaction... I once woke up to a fuzzy tongue (years ago - no WLS) and it freaked me out!! Call your doctor and get their opinion!

Yep. I was prescribed Hydrocodone for pain, but I haven't taken that in about 14 hours, and I'm probably done with it.

I'm also on a PPI.

Other than that, I haven't started my Vitamins yet, they recommended waiting two weeks before I started those.

Could it be from keitosis (sp?)? I was reading something online that mentioned dieter's breath, especially from high Protein diets.

If it is thrush, it could be from the antibiotics during surgery. Have you called your surgeon's office? They'll probably have a good answer for you.

Hey everyone, I did call my doc's office. They think it's possible that it might be leftover dehydration issues, even though I've been doing well on my Water. The nurse that I talked to today is going to check with the surgeon and call me back tomorrow. She did mention that it may be thrush.

I have autoimmune problems so I've heard alot of terms,,have you ever heard of leukoplakia? It can be caused by low Vit A, B-12, C & folic acid among alot of other conditions or bad habits such as smoking or drinking (not that you do..just saying). I've had this condition before due to prednisone. It's also called,,don't laugh.."hairy tongue"...yours may be something different but just sounds similar the way you describe it.

Peace Queen...all good to know. I don't smoke, nor do I drink (literally, I have about 1 adult beverage every six months), so that can't be it. I read online that it might be dehydration, which is sort of legit, as I was decently dehydrated at my surgery time. BUT, I also saw that if it's dehydration, you should be able to scrap of the white, and I can't. I might have to ask about the Vitamin problems....

Sounds like thrush to me, yes, from all the antibiotics...Call your Dr.

I have a similar problem and it's not thrush. My tongue has this permanent white fuzzy coating that is most likely due it ketosis.

Peace Queen...all good to know. I don't smoke, nor do I drink (literally, I have about 1 adult beverage every six months), so that can't be it. I read online that it might be dehydration, which is sort of legit, as I was decently dehydrated at my surgery time. BUT, I also saw that if it's dehydration, you should be able to scrap of the white, and I can't. I might have to ask about the Vitamin problems....

I'm so sorry, I hope you didn't think I was insuating that you smoke or drink. Leukoplakia can be due to several different reasons. Please let us know how you are doing..hope all is well. If it's ketosis, i read upping your carbs will help.

@Peacequeen...absolutely not! I'm not offended in any way, I'll take any suggestions you can come up with!

And, I still don't have an answer. I talked to the PA at my surgeon's office earlier this week, and she said she would ask around and get back to me. She didn't, so I finally called her back today. She said none of them had any idea what it was. She said I could come in (an hour away) or I could go by my PCPs office to have them check it out. For the exact time, I've chosen to do nothing, as I don't want to drive the hour to see my surgeon's staff, and I don't want to try to get into my PCPs office on a Friday afternoon.

PLUS, the white patch is slowing shrinking over the last couple of days. I still have some pretty extensive bumps on the back of my tongue, but the white patch is getting smaller. Furthermore, I have my 2 week appt with my surgeon on Monday, so I'll be seeing them soon anyway.

Sorry I don't have any answers for you guys, but I'm not getting any either. It is less gross feeling, though, so it's not as bothersome was it was when I first posted this.

This really sounds to me like your body detoxing to be honest. It kind of sounds like what I would get after being on a master cleanse (which is just liquids) for a couple of days.

I am 2 months out from being sleeved. The first couple of weeks I felt like I had something at the back of my throat. It was very irratating if I thought about it to much. I also would wake up and feel like I had hair in my throat. It was a weird sensation more than a feeling. It annoyed me so bad. It went away after a few weeks, I actaully forgot all about it and can't recall when it stopped. I just recall looking in the back of my throat and almost gagging trying to brush back there with my toothbrush. My tongue was never white though.