Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Colonoscopy - Horrendous & Terrifying

Today I had my scheduled colonoscopy which did not go well at all. This is my story, I am 13 months post op sleeve surgery. All is going great, l05 lbs down. Off of meds. Diabetes, cholesterol, sleep apnea, gout, prostate, and blood pressure are gone or under control.

Now for today, the colon doctor prescribed an bowel cleaning medicine call MoviPrep. The instructions states at 4 p.m. drink 64 ounces the mix liquid (8 ounces every 15 minutes) then at 8 p.m. repeat follow by 16 ounces of an liquid of my choice.

It was very difficult to digest all of the medication, but I did except for the last 8 ounces. As a matter of fact, a few times I felt it wanted to come back up. What's more, I was put on a clear liquid diet all that day. Only food was chicken broth I had that day. After a few hours my stomach began to make funny noises, and started feeling very uncomfortable. But the cleansing solution was not working. At about 1 a.m. I had my first movement and the next at 5 a.m.

After arriving at the hospital, being sedated, and having that tube inserted in my a-hole, I was advised the colonoscopy did not go well for the reason that the colon was not completely cleansed. The doctor said I would have to return for another procedure, and this time prep for 48 hours instead of 24.

It's now been about 8 hours and I am still feeling discomfort and stomach growling very loudly.

I do not want to go through 2 days of forced liquids that don't work.

My questions: Have any one else had similar situation. What's your opinion. Should I contact my sleeve doctor. Maybe suggest another type of cleansing medicine.

Your suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Lash

Sounds awful. If it makes you feel better, back where I'm from, these procedures are done without sedation.

They have come a long way in the prep area. Is this the only doctor in your area that does the colonoscopy. I had to drink and 8 oz bottle of magnesium citrate around 8pm the night before. Then around 10 I took 3 little pills but do not recall the name of them. I was on a clear liquid diet that day before but could have anything as long as it did not have red food color in it. I would check around. Magnesium citrate can be purchased over the counter at Walgreens or a local drug store.

Oh dear. That's worrisome. I'm still only 42, but i fear for the future. :wacko: I have a hard time pushing the liquids. Yikes!

They have come a long way in the prep area. Is this the only doctor in your area that does the colonoscopy. I had to drink and 8 oz bottle of magnesium citrate around 8pm the night before. Then around 10 I took 3 little pills but do not recall the name of them. I was on a clear liquid diet that day before but could have anything as long as it did not have red food color in it. I would check around. Magnesium citrate can be purchased over the counter at Walgreens or a local drug store.

Now THAT sounds more like it!!

I had to have a colonoscopy about 6 months after the sleeve surgery. Because one of my big issues was cronic Constipation, I had to do 48 hours of nothing but Clear Liquids & do the same prep that you described having to do for yours. I don't know if it was the extra day of no food that made the difference, but I was flushed out by the time of my procedure. I really feel for you because that MoviPrep is sheer hell to get down. Good luck!

I, too, am very resistant to laxatives. Any time I have to do any kind of bowel prep - ancluding my recent VSG - I supplement the bowel pre-op with an enema (or 2). I also start everything earlier - like 2 days or so - to ensure I don't have to go thru the procedure again.

I have ulcerative colitis and at age 37, have already had 4 colonoscopies (my first without sedation when I was 6 months pregnant!).

The prep I've had the past few times is the Miralax prep. You use a 238 gram bottle of Miralax, 2 32-oz bottles of gatorade (not red or purple), and 2 dulcolax tablets. You take the dulcolax tabs early in the day before your procedure, and then half the Miralax with one bottle of gatorade early evening. Then you do the other bottle of gatorade later in the evening. I found that because of my sleeve (I had my last scope in November, when I was 4 months post-op) I couldn't drink the Miralax/gatorade very quickly, so I ended up sipping it constantly from start to finish - both bottles and the whole container of Miralax.

The Miralax prep, in general, is very tolerable. While the stomach doesn't love ingesting that much gatorade in such a short period of time, there is virtually no taste. The worst part is when your body starts "working" so to speak. Plan for a long evening in or near the bathroom!!

Sorry you had a bad experience - you might ask your provider about the Miralax prep option, I've never had issues with it and have done it the past couple times.

Oh dear. That's worrisome. I'm still only 42, but i fear for the future. :wacko: I have a hard time pushing the liquids. Yikes!

OMOGOSH DOOTER! You took the words right out of my MOUTH LOL!!!! I'm dreading the day I have to do this...I shouldn't have read this LOL!

Would anyone recommend having a colonic before surgery?

Maybe try a virtual colonoscopy? Supposed to be less of a pain in the butt, literally.

Is this mandatory if you are sleeved?

No a colonic is not mandatory but thought it would be helpful to start fresh with my liquid diet

Would anyone recommend having a colonic before surgery?

Colonics in general are a terrible idea.

Colonics in general are a terrible idea.

Really, why?