Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications - Things Are Not Going Well.

Hi Everyone,

Feeling down and out. 6 dpo - finally got out of the hospital last night. My surgery was on 3/21 @ 7:30 am. I experienced extreme nausea as soon as I woke up from surgery. It was debilitating. I don't even remember the first three days after surgery. I wasn't drinking anything at all. All the liquids I received were just from the potassium IV that you normally get. My surgeon said some people just experience bad nausea after the surgery and that the swelling/restriction may just take a little longer than normal to go down but it would improve each day. Things weren't really improving so Saturday afternoon the performed an upper GI. That was a miserable experience in itself. The radiologist, she was a complete jerk and wasn't understanding at all. She wasn't sure if I was supposed to get just a barium swallow or something else too. So she had me swollen this granulated stuff that foams. Vomited that up immediately. All over myself and the floor. Then she proceeded to turn the table backward so I went from standing to laying on my back. Then she asked me to continually swollen the barium. I could only swallow a tiny sip or two. Not a good experience for someone fitting extreme nausea. She was so mean to her staff and was barking orders at them. I told them I could never work with such a mean woman. I disgress...

My doctor's partner (Dr. M) was on call over the weekend. He reviewed the upper GI images. He said he understood why I was having so much nausea because there is a large amount of swelling and inflammation. It should resolve itself within a few days. Sunday comes, Dr M., stops by and I told him I'm feeling al ittle better today. He sets my Fluid intake goal to 20-30 oz for the day. If I don't meet it he and my doctor have decided that I need a stint. That scared the crap out of me. Saturday, I only drank 2 oz all day. Sunday, I managed to barely get the 20 oz down. The whole time I was in the hospital I vomited ocassaionaly, especially at night.

Yesterday my doc finally came to talk to me. He said while doing my surgery, he noticed I have some scar tissue at the end on my stomach. The area was trying to fold over on itself so he feels like I am likely experience extra tightness and restriction due to the scar tissue. He said she was really worried about me but doesn't want to do the stint. He said I made enough progress on Sunday and Monday to release me. So, I finally got released from the hospital 6 days after surgery.

Last night was really bad. I started vomiting after lying down. I ended up vomiting several times. Mostly Water and foamy stuff. I would start coughing and it ending in vomiting. I couldn't get myself at the right angle so I ended up laying on the cough mostly sitting up all night. I was totally miserable. Doc doesn't want me trying any extra pills at this time with all the sensitivity my sleeve has so no Vitamins or potassium pills for now. He did prescribe Xanax - 3 times a day to help "relax" my digestive system. I'm also taking liquid Lortab every 6 hours for pain (luckily, I'm not experiencing much). I'm taking Pepcid once a day and Zofran for nausea every 6 hours and finally and Synthroid (for hypothroidism).

I've only drank 12 oz so far today. 3 oz of that powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup.

I'm just feeling alone and at a loss. Not sure what to do or how to get more fluids/protein in. I feel so full all the time. I did call the doc's office this morning to fill them in on last night. They told me to call again if I have more problems. I'm supposed to be taking in 60 oz of fluid at a minimum. I don't know what else to do.

I'm praying for you that you will heal up as you should. I'm very sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Best you can do is relax, take care to keep close watch on your Water, perhaps even space the Ozs throughout the day (this is how I do it).

For example, perhaps drink 2 Oz (about a sip) every 15 minutes or so. It would take you about 8 hours a day to hit the 64 Oz.

If you continue to feel bad, contact your medical staff.

Hugs!!

I am so sorry to hear you are having so many difficulties. I am sending lots of prayers and positive vibes that it gets easier.

Sounds as if you are having a terrible time. So sorry! Praying for a speedy recovery and that you will better soon.

Sorry about all the complications. Just sip slowly. Get a little oz. sized shot glass container and drink it every 5 minutes. Do not get dehydrated.

My heartfelf prayers and best wishes go out to you..

I am so sorry you are having so many issues. Hang in there, it will get better. Dont hesistate to call your Dr or go to the E.R. if needed. Prayers your way!

So sorry to hear about all of your difficulties after your surgery. I thank my lucky stars that my surgery went well and I did not have any problems other than a little acid reflux. I hope and pray that you improve each day and that you are able to get in more and more fluids. I can completely understand that you feel down and out as I know that I would be going crazy wondering what I had done to myself.

Keep taking those small sips every few minutes and see if you can get that Fluid in. If not I would suggest that you call your doctor back and that they admit you and start you on an IV as you will become dehydrated rapidly if you do not get fluids.

I shall be keeping you in my thoughts. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

God bless you Wanna! Praying for your speedy recovery and that you will start to feel normal again soon! The shot glass idea sounds great and every time you finish one you see you have accomplished intaking fluids!! As IowaAndy said though, if you aren't getting enough be sure to ask to be put back on an IV. Dehydration sucks!

I hope that you r feeling better. I am sorry u r going thru this. My prayers r with u.

I am soo sorry you are having a rough time! just remember each day you will get slowly better. It may feel really, really slow.. but you will get better!

don't despair.. although it is hard not to at times!!! But look to the goal!!

Rhonda

I feel for you, hon. I didn't have scar tissue that I know of, but I had very bad nausea and pain post op. It caused my BP (which I'd never had problems with prior) to skyrocket. After released from hospital, I slept sitting up in a recliner for the first 3 wks, then propped up with tons of pillows in the bed for the following 3 wks. I took the same liquid meds you are on like clockwork and my full time job was to sip. Sip, walk (I could only walk a few steps inside my house the first three wks), pee, repeat. I took an anti-anxiety med for a few weeks as well because I was having panic attacks, which I had never experienced pre-surgery either. I had strange, deep pains in my belly and felt like I'd been hit by a mack truck for the longest.

It will get better. It just takes time. Live for now, don't worry abt the future right now. Sip Clear liquids SLOWLY and constantly. Try sf popsicles. I got a brace that cinched my stomach in and that helped some. Also, kept a small pillow on hand to help me take deep breaths or cough, pressing it against my tummy.

Some people's surgery and recovery is a walk in the park, some, well, not so much. Hang in there and be sure to call your dr as needed. You don't want to get dehydrated.

Healing hugs,

Leah

Wannabb08. I have had similar trouble to you. Ended up back in hospital 24 hours after release. Been here three days. Have an awesome doc who assures me everything is fine. That for the selected few of us our stomachs seem to go into shock and it can take alot longer to adjust to the surgery. I am sipping every few mins and have discovered dairy really upsets me.

First night last night since surgery I actually slept almost normal and have woken feeling pretty well.

Keep me posted how you travel. It's weird but good to know I am not the only one who is feeling so miserable after surgery.

I know the light is at the end of the tunnel. Just have to keep walking in that direction

Best of luck and support.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the encouragement. It is a strange comfort knowing that I'm not alone right now with all these complications. I'm till only getting in half of the fluids required. I got in about 35 ozs today.

Louise - I tried making some frozen Protein pops with milk. Big mistake! I only ate about one or two bites that had melted in my mouth. I got a weird hot feeling then my tummy started churning. In and out of the bathroom for several hours. Not sure if it's the beginning of lactose intolerance or the Protein powder.

I feel for you, hon. I didn't have scar tissue that I know of, but I had very bad nausea and pain post op. It caused my BP (which I'd never had problems with prior) to skyrocket. After released from hospital, I slept sitting up in a recliner for the first 3 wks, then propped up with tons of pillows in the bed for the following 3 wks. I took the same liquid meds you are on like clockwork and my full time job was to sip. Sip, walk (I could only walk a few steps inside my house the first three wks), pee, repeat. I took an anti-anxiety med for a few weeks as well because I was having panic attacks, which I had never experienced pre-surgery either. I had strange, deep pains in my belly and felt like I'd been hit by a mack truck for the longest.

It will get better. It just takes time. Live for now, don't worry abt the future right now. Sip Clear Liquids SLOWLY and constantly. Try sf popsicles. I got a brace that cinched my stomach in and that helped some. Also, kept a small pillow on hand to help me take deep breaths or cough, pressing it against my tummy.

Some people's surgery and recovery is a walk in the park, some, well, not so much. Hang in there and be sure to call your dr as needed. You don't want to get dehydrated.

Healing hugs,

Leah

Leah - Thanks for responding. I guess we are part of the unlucky group but thanks for the encouragement. Luckily, I haven't had much pain but the nausea has more than made up for that.

Dairy did me in today too. Not sure if it was dairy or the Protein or both but my tummy was not happy.

When was you surgery date? Mine was 3/21.

I hope we both feel better very soon. Remember to walk and sip...