Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Give Me Your Best Pre-Op Liquid Diet Tips..

liquid diet starts tomorrow for an April 10 surgery date!!! I am stressing a little about the liquid diet part! If you have any tips that helped you through this time, please share them!!

liquid diet starts tomorrow for an April 10 surgery date!!! I am stressing a little about the liquid diet part! If you have any tips that helped you through this time, please share them!!

Angie-- I started mine on Friday ( my surgery is Apr 11). I started early ( was supposed to start on Wed because my husband was going out of town for the weekend and I thought being by myself would help the first few days. I didn't know what kind of emotional roller coaster I would be on. I don't know if I was crabby or not.. I wasn't to myself...LOL The first 2 days were hard but it does get easier. Tip.. dont watch TV... there are a bazillion food commercials!!

oh and to add.. I did lose 5.5 # over the weekend!!!

Best most honest tip I have to offer is this; sleep much. If you keep really busy during the day then make your bed time early as you can, you will do better (or at least it helped me). When you wake up, you will be so hungry that the liquid diet will taste awesome and fill you up.

Oh yea...those TV commercials...I had my sleeve done 12/26/11 and JUST NOW am I not hypersensitive to the massive amount of food ads, cooking shows, and related things on the TV. I stopped watching so much and just used the DVR so I can fast forward thru most of them.

I can offer this.. slowly get off caffeine. If you just abruptly stop the headache lasts for days and is just awful. I wish I had went to half caff coffee and then Decaf before I just quit cold turkey. I agree with the above poster. Have ready made Protein Drinks ready for your drive into work or whatever and keep crystal light or Water with you always, stay busy as you can and go to bed early. The going to bed early helped me when I quit smoking too. That way you dont have to sit around being hungry. My surgeons diet allowed me to have a small protion of lean meat and one non starchy veggie for dinner. I ate it like a hostage when I got home from work, waited till about 8pm and went to bed. It worked for me. HTH.

sugar free Popsicles are my savior! They are the only things that will quench my thirst right now! Good luck :)

I started my pre-op liquid diet on Thursday, March 22nd with the surgery date of March 29th. I would say that the first two days are the hardest, especially since this weekend my family had a lot of celebration from marriage to Goddaughter birthday. I was good with the exception that I had four bite of my cousin's lasanga on Friday at the reheasal dinner and very small piece of carrot cake on Saturday at the wedding reception. But nothing at my Goddaughter birthday. The lasanga made me sick to my stomache so it did not stay and the carrot made me a lttle bit nausa. Over all I feel I am doing all right. The one tip I can give you is try to fill yourself up before going to any event with the right stuff. If you are full prior you want be so tempted to indulge in all of the wrong foods. Get someone to hold you accountable for what you eat, my husband watch me like a hawk. He is the reason why I only ate four spoonful of the lasanga and a small amount of cake and not the whole bowl or a larger piece of cake. Keep thinking to yourself what you are doing is preparing for your future. Do not let food control you, you control the food.

I had some sugar free hard candies around. It kept me sane.

At first you will feel like you want to kill the first person that says the wrong thing to you. Please resist this urge. After a certain point, you just won't care that you can't eat anymore.

And by all means, if they say you can have 5 shakes, drink AALLL 5!! I don't care how hard it is. If your body has full nutrition from these, it will help immensely!! You will feel satisfied (assuming you can tell your head you DON'T want a cheeseburger!;). You'll do great!

I'm starting my pre op diet today and I'm very nervous but excited. My surgery date is April 17th

I found this a perfect time to clean out the refrigerator. I got rid of many things that I knew that I would not be eating or able to eat after the surgery. Since I live alone it was easy as I did not need to keep things for others. I also cleaned out my cupboard and sent a bunch of food off to the food pantry. Now after surgery I just do not buy things at the store that I can not eat or are bad for me......example: Cookies or candy bars. This has worked great for me.

My question is...If you get hunger can you drink another Protein Drink?

Duncan Donuts Decaf brewed strong was my best friend, I switched cold turkey with no headaches and I am 99% sure my hunger all the time pains went away within a day of the switch.