Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my mom thinks my weight loss surgery will be complete over a weekend and i will have lost almost 100lbs. i tried to explain to her about the surgery, how the weight doesn't fall off overnight, and we have to work at keeping the weight off forever.

She still doesn't understand and thinks i will be thin forever, no problems or working at it, to succeed. keeping the weight loss. She said "i've only lost 40 lbs" I never should have told her. i told my dh and daughter, they are fine about the whole process and understand

anyone else have similar situations?

kathy

my mom thought that in one month after surgery i was going to be "skinny" lol n i told her i wish it were like that, but it takes 1-2 years to lose atleast 70% of my body weight..

My grandmother was similar in some ways... I would report back with "i'm down 40, i'm down 50" and she'd be like "oh, that's all? well thats great i guess"... I'm like really! I'm only 2months out! (I lost a bit before surgery). AND two of her closest friends had the bypass two years ago, she was always ranting about how wonderful they look, but she only saw them once a year lol.

It's hard when people have such a blase attitude about it. Hopefully with time she'll begin to understand that it is a process. Because seriously, if it was that easy, people would never hesitate to get surgery! We'd all be cured! LOL.

My best friend asked on the day of surgery, "how soon will you see results?" lol. I told her as soon as my big butt starts eating right and exercising!

Maybe remind her that is didn't take a day to put it on & it won't take a day to take it off. Maybe print out some information for her to give her some realistic expectations so she can cheer you on! And if she doesn't then just come back here & we will!! :)

Well, I don't know what's wrong with you all - I for one had IMMEDIATE results after surgery, I think I lost at least a full pound, between not eating, Water loss and the weight of the part of the stomach they cut out :)

It's funny the ideas some people get stuck in their head.

, I empathize with how you feel. My dad had the gastric bypass 10 years ago and every time I talk to him on the phone, he asks me how much weight I have lost a few times during the conversation and makes a comment on how i would have lost more if I had the GB. Whatever! Parents just have a way of losing their filter when they talk to their kids and I am sure she doesn't mean to hurt your feelings intentionally.

My boyfriend was out of the country for 2 weeks when I was having WLS. He kept telling me he was worried he wouldn't recognize me at the airport when I came to pick him up. It's like, how much weight do you think one can lose in 2 weeks? LOL men.

My mother in law said the same thing. I will be seeing them next weekend and I had surgery 10 days ago. She says, "oh you'll be so thin when we see you" lol yeah right!

It is crazy. And the companion thought that goes along with that its easy to lose weight...grr. I encounter this more from some than others.

WIth my mom though, she wants me to stop losing weight. I got this same reaction from someone who had bypass, for crying out loud. I told both of them i had about 60 lbs more to go to get to the topof the normal BMI range, and they both very disapprovingly shook their head and said that I would be way too thin.

LoserMom, I know all to well about that. My sister told me that my weight goal was not going to be attractive because "you're not built to be that small"! Lol

Same here, LoserMama. I told a friend of mine that my goal weight is 150. She said I'd be too thin if I got to that weight. I had to inform her that 150 would be at the top of normal BMI range for someone my height, not the middle, not the bottom... the top. We've been friends for 7 years and she's only known me as big. We went to Walmart so I could buy some basketball-type shorts for working out and she insisted I get a size bigger than I actually needed. As I was trying them on (had to wear them over my jeans because the fitting room wasn't open), she said I shouldn't be discouraged if they were a bit tight because I was wearing jeans under them. Well, they were a little loose even over jeans and she said they looked good. I ended up buying them, but then returned them the next day because when I tried them on without jeans at home, they were way too big.

A year before my surgery, my dad lost about 100 pounds. He did it by just cutting out fast food. He still drinks coke all the time, eats ice cream, and can't do much working out because of his job. Before I had the surgery, he said I could lose weight like him if I was more disciplined. What he didn't understand is that I didn't drink soda or eat fast food, I DID work out, and while I didn't eat the best food, I didn't gorge myself all the time. I have PCOS and he didn't understand that I just COULDN'T lose the weight as easily as him.

After surgery, while he does say I'm doing well when I tell him how much I've lost, he goes on to say that I could be doing more if I was working out (which I am, 4-5 days a week) and ate better (which I am, at least better than him). He'll say keep going because I still got a ways to go. It's disheartening.

These posts are cracking me up!! I know I am a week out and wish I were a size 4 already, but since u had a revision to sleeve I might lose slower, but some people are so silly thin after ten days lOl.. I needed a good laugh. I am laid up in the hospital bed with fever and elevated enzymes. Blah

My grandmother actually told me the same with losing weight as far as my goal. She said and I quote "just be careful you don't want to lose much more weight" and that is at the point that I was 30-40 pounds above healthy bmi.

I just came to the conclusion that nobody else's opinion on where my weight loss should start or stop truly matters, my body will tell me when its happy.