Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiences After Immediately Waking Up? Comment Please..

Hi.. im being sleeved April 25,2012 ... Im excited but i'm also having jitters.. Please share your experiences from your surgery...pain nausea, all of that .. thanks :)

I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm interested in hearing responses too! I'm nervous and excited and would love feed back as well.

I was talking to the OR staff and next thing I know I was waking up in my room. 4 hours had passed. My wife said I was talking gibberish in recovery and I have no recollection of it.

I had very little pain and the pain I had was easily taken care of by the pump. I had mild nausea but nothing bad (the worse was the foul tasting stuff they make you drink for a leak test....now THAT was nauseating....ask for some drugs before doing that if necessary).

I couldn't pee for about 24 hours post op.....I had no catheter and I had the urge....but my lower body was not functioning right and it took awhile to wake everything back up (this is normal).

Ummm what else.....I walked a BUNCH and it helped. I think I had a very very easy recovery.

As you know, everyone is different.. For me the pain wasnt that bad. When I woke up in recovery I wanted to get up and the nurses helped me to get out of bed( my butt was hurtin from laying in bed so long) I only used my pump once and the next day I went home. Now when I got home I stayed sick for the next 24 hours. Even a sip of Water mad me sick. But by the third day I was fine. It hurt to cough but the hospital gave my a pillow to hold against my stomach when I coughed and that helped alot. All and all it wasnt that bad. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck to you.

Best wishes to the pre-opers! I don't really remember the first few hours. My kids and darlin' hubby were there in the room and they said I was trying to make conversation but would push my pain pump and immediate drift off to sleep. I remember being awake and more coherent several hours later. I felt fine internally but had soreness on the outside (incision pain). Moving was a little tricky at first. No nausea at all. I was thirsty and wanted to ice chips offered. I wasn't allowed to take sips till the next morning. It all seems like a dream at this point.

Like doggz109 I was talking to the anesthesiologist and he must have been bored with what I was saying because he put my lights out pretty quickly. It seemed I woke up immediately in the recovery room. I asked the nurse if it was a boy and a girl which I thought was funny but she obviously had heard that one a lot. She kept encouraging me to breathe more, they have you hooked up to some oxygen in the blood sensor. After a while they wheeled me up to my room where my wife was waiting and ready to baby me.

The pain was not a factor, the drugs they have nowadays are far superior to what I experienced in my childhood operations. My recovery from apendicitus and tonsils in those days was much more distressing.

They have a machine to measure your breathe strength that you are supposed to do regularly. It was a challenge to get the first few sips of Water down. I have quite overcome that at 2 months out. I have to consciously slow myself down now when I am thirsty.

Taking the drainage tube out was weird but not painful. I hate catheters, I had one during cancer treatment. When it came out I must say it wasn't so bad. All in all, it was a piece of cake compared to what I've been through.

When the surgeon came in I asked him if he found anything in the belly portion he dragged out of me, I'm missing some car keys. He said he had someone else do that, he didn't hear anything. :angry::D

I'll be honest with you. I woke up and panicked and began screaming for help. I didn't get any pain medication until I was moved from the recovery room to my private room. I disturbed everyone who came into contact with me. I was like " why won't you help me. Please help me." lol...But come to realize it I really wasnt in pain. The most painful thing was a catheter that they gave me in surgery. A surprise one at that. I asked them to take it out and I got the go ahead to walk to and from the restroom. I was getting pain meds pumped through my IV and I didn't need to take any the next day when I was discharged. I felt great.

When I've hard surgery two other times before and I woke up calm and sedated. I guess if your drugged you will be ok and maybe begging for a glass of Water. Lol

Thank you all so much for your honesty .. I appreciate it.. I have another .. what's the check list of things I'll need when I get home post op

I remember waking up and was a bit woozy, the first thing I did was throw up blood, which luckily I was able to let the nurse know was coming, somehow, not sure, I just kept saying throw up throw up and then the blood came out. Not much but that cleared it out. I was the first patient my doctor had had throw up as they give you quite (or he did) a bit of anti-nausea medication.

The rest is a bit of whirl I was worried whether it was done, as my doctor was adamant that if the liver wasnt properly shrunk he would not perform the surgery, I was so worried about that, that was pretty much all I asked about.

They showed me where the pain medication was. However pain wasnt bad for me at any point, like having cramps, or after doing too many crunches stiffness. The pain medication did help me rest tho. I slept most of the night, except when they got me up at one point to go to the bathroom. But really it was much of a blur.

I was nil by mouth for 2 or 3 days, so was in hospital that whole time, but really once I was out the ICU (the morning after) I was up and about wheeling my bag around. Only took t he pain meds when I slept.

But as others have mentioned, everyone is different.

I remember waking up and was a bit woozy' date=' the first thing I did was throw up blood, which luckily I was able to let the nurse know was coming, somehow, not sure, I just kept saying throw up throw up and then the blood came out. Not much but that cleared it out. I was the first patient my doctor had had throw up as they give you quite (or he did) a bit of anti-nausea medication.

The rest is a bit of whirl I was worried whether it was done, as my doctor was adamant that if the liver wasnt properly shrunk he would not perform the surgery, I was so worried about that, that was pretty much all I asked about.

They showed me where the pain medication was. However pain wasnt bad for me at any point, like having cramps, or after doing too many crunches stiffness. The pain medication did help me rest tho. I slept most of the night, except when they got me up at one point to go to the bathroom. But really it was much of a blur.

I was nil by mouth for 2 or 3 days, so was in hospital that whole time, but really once I was out the ICU (the morning after) I was up and about wheeling my bag around. Only took t he pain meds when I slept.

But as others have mentioned, everyone is different.[/quote']

Good for you! I hope mine goes as smoothly! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Aussiegirl, you were in the ICU? I haven't had my surgery yet but I didn't know they put you in ICU after surgery. I'm really scared. So glad you guys are here. Reading these post really help alot. :)

Thank you all so much for your honesty .. I appreciate it.. I have another .. what's the check list of things I'll need when I get home post op

I wouldn't say I had an easy go of things. I won't lie to you, I was quite bad off - though not as bad as some. I did have bad nausea and even vomitted one time. It was like coffee grounds and the nurse checked on me, said I was fine. I was quite sedated so the nausea and vomitting felt more like a dream state however I do remember it.

Exactly like Doggz I too had lower body numbness and actually had to go pee so bad the nurse ended up having to help me by putting a catheter in for me. It sucked, but hey - I had to go... what are ya gonna do right? After that initial time, I was able to go on my own from there.

My pain actually wasn't that bad. The worst parts were what I already mentioned. I'm pretty tough and when I'm sick of laying in bed I force myself up and will myself to get better... lol.. kinda like right now (recovering from the flu).

I got through it, and so will you. Jitters are normal, don't worry - what you're feeling is common. I had them too... but yet here I am a year and a half later at goal and thanking GOD daily for my sleeve!!!

Here is a thread to help you figure out what you need to take to the hospital: Click this Link

Aussiegirl, you were in the ICU? I haven't had my surgery yet but I didn't know they put you in ICU after surgery. I'm really scared. So glad you guys are here. Reading these post really help alot. :)

Sorry I did not mean to scare you with the ICU comment.

I was sleeved in Australia, and this is normal for my surgeon. He books us in for the first night in the ICU then they move you to the wards. Funnily I was moved to the cardiac ward next, which just confused the nursing staff, as I had no cardiac issues, it was just the only free ward. I was t he youngest by over 3 decades.

Being scared is part of the process, I was ok up to the day of surgery (felt it was the right decision for me), then as soon as I headed to the hospital I had some serious panic kick in. It sent my BP through the roof, the only thing that calmed me down was this really cute male nurse, he was cute but had such s soothing in his tone, held my hand, kept me calm.

I had woke up, like others worried about my liver. I was also really worried that something would go wrong and they would switch from laproscopic to open surgery. So, those were my first questions. Evidently, everything was textbook perfect.

I woke with a catherter that stayed for 24 hours. That was, literally, the most inconvenient part of my hospital recovery. I never had any nausea. I wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink until after the leak test the following morning.

I did wake with a pain pump. I felt morally obligated to use it as much as I could. I was raised not to waste things. ;) I remember getting some of the best sleep of my life in the 24 hours that followed surgery. I did make myself walk often between naps.

I hope that your procedure was as easy as mine. I could tell I had surgery but truly was not in pain or nauseous.

Burning extreme stomach pain! I was screaming when I awoke! They told me to be quiet because I would frighten the other patients...it didn't last long thanks to the morphine, and the good news is that I haven't heard of anyone else with this type of pain.

Also, remember everyone is different. I personally know some people that did not experience any pain what so ever. I do think it's better to expect the worse and that way it won't be as bad. All I had read prior to surgery is how everyone LOVED their sleeve and went shopping right after surgery. I was not prepared mentally.