Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1200-1500 Calories...really?

My doc told me not to worry about the calories as long as stuck to "the plan". He said I would be floored with how few calories I eat in the beginning. He did say that once I got to a weight that I wanted to maintain then that is when I should be def. counting calories. He said just add a "0" to whatever weight you want to maintain. For example, if you are weighing 130 and want to stay there then you should consume around 1300 calories per day. Not counting calories and staying within my food plan is working for me, especially since I absolutely hate counting calories. I am 10 weeks post op and I have lost 42 pounds (all post op, no preop diet), 8 inches from my waist, 3 inches from my neck (crazy), 9 inches from my chest, and 11 inches from my hips....I would say worry amount your Water intake, Protein intake and limiting starches and you should do fine. I also find the weeks I'm serious about working out I really do see a difference in the scale......Goodluck to you.

its an issue of finding that perfect balance range of cals for your body. First try 800-1000 for a week and two and monitor weight loss...then try 1000-1200 for a few weeks. See which range worked best

Like was said: get your Protein in and your fluids and the weight loss will follow. Honestly, I was told to not even count calories, but I was curious and so entered them on fitday.

Things have not been this simple for me. I lost 38 lbs during the 1st month after surgery. Then I pretty much stalled almost the entire 2nd month. I NEVER reached Protein and Water goals during the first month. It seemed like the moment I began getting in 60-70 grams of protein from solid food, the weight loss stopped. I was highly frustrated because I was doing everything I was instructed to do food wise. I also started with a high BMI so I didn't expect the weight loss to slow down so soon. I was getting in between 500-700 calories per day.

Last week, my stall finally broke. I lost 4 pounds. I went to the gym 3 times last week, walking about 2.5 miles each time. This was the first week that I had the energy to do any physical activity. I also ate some things I shouldn't last week and still managed to drop weight (I attended a baby shower and had chips, fattening dips, and cake).

I am so confused. Stay within a recommended calorie range - no weight loss for weeks. Splurge and go over recommended calorie and sugar ranges - lose weight. I am certain that the exercise helped with the weight loss, but why wasn't reducing calories enough for my body to use up all this lucious reserve I've packed on for years? UGH! :angry:

H

THANK YOU so much for posting this. This really helps me. I'm about 6wks out and I often question my foods and this really helps give me a range and guide that I've desperately been searching for. I have been hitting between 500-800. I think that comes naturally when you follow the "rules" of Protein first. I was also told by the hospital to eat 2 oz meat and 2 oz of veggiesor fruit and if any room left to have carbs. I try to avoid all simple carbs because it helps cut down my cravings. I've really been wondering about carb ranges and fat ranges. Tiff how many fat grams did you range per day????

This is a great topic. I don't think I'm in starvation mode but, I do think after so many years of yo-yo dieting that my metabolism is messed up. Since most days I get closer to 500/600 cals when I do get close to 800 cals then I usually gain. I try not to let it bother me and keep waiting for my body kick in. It has to eventually. It's a mathematical certainty.

I never count fat grams and never will. I ate and continue to eat full fat foods. The limited capacity I have limits my fat intake on it's own. I eat real butter, full fat dressings, miracle whip etc. The only thing I eat that is fat free is Greek yogurt and that's because it cooks better in casserole/crock pot meals and that way I can add stuff to it. And, my cholesterol was never an issue, and dropped even lower during my losing stage and my "good" cholesterol improved.

I just did what worked for me. I truly believe we only have one chance to lose the weight, work on our food issues, and then tweak what we can manage in maintenance. Losing was not difficult for me, keeping it off is and will always be my battle. It's the same issue I had from dieting attempts in the past. I could lose like a champ, but then it'd come back with a vengeance plus some. I do not diet in maintenance by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have to watch junk food, carby foods and alcohol consumption or I will surely see a gain.

I am two months post op and have been eating clean NET calories of 1500-1750 since about week three. I have list 40 pounds since surgery (over 50 total), and average a three pound loss per week. I eat small amounts frequently (every two hours), but eat VERY CLEAN. My macros are 40c/40p/20f and I track everything on MFP.

So, you can eat high call and still lose, for those who are wondering.

If you can eat 1200 to 1500 calories of Protein foods at two weeks out, then something has to be wrong. Lean protein is not that high in calories. If you eat protein first, I dont see how you can hold any veggies or carbs at that early out. I was still on liquids at this point. I am surprised you dont have a leak if you are able to eat whole foods like that at this early point. Sure, you could drink your calories but what was the point of having surgery if you are just going to get the calories in any way you can? I understand that at a bigger BMI you might need more to sustain your energy but how to get it? Your sleeve is the same size no matter how much you weigh! How can you be expected to hold more than the rest of us? I say just eat lean protein until you are full and dont worry about the calories. Supplement with a Protein Shake or two so you have some energy and just do your best.

I am getting all my protien in with one Protein Shake (42 grams each) and then some food. i haven't been able to hit the 1200 goal yet...and I am careful what I eat...the dr has no concerns of a leak...i show no signs of one and he is confident that I am healing very well. my incisions are all healed.

I don't really eat low and non-fat foods either except for milk, cottage cheese and yogurt because they taste just fine without the fat. Low fat cheese on the other hand is just plain gross to me. During lent, cheese and fish have been life savers :-)

Eat the fat, but try to make it good fat like avocado, nuts, olive oil, seafood and lean meat.

I substitute other things for mayo like low-fat Greek yogurt blended with herbs and spices or onions. Mayo has 100 calories per tbs. I'd hate to waste 100 calories on a condiment. I'd rather have a juicy piece of steak or chicken or just about anything else.

Yes, Protein first, but I do recommend veggies and fruit (just a little will do you) because eating pure Protein causes horrible Constipation. You could take laxatives, but they have a side effect that make you dependent on them. Your body like natural solutions. :-) There are also protein rich carbs available. The Barilla whole wheat Pasta I use has 10 gr a serving. Quinoa is also a protein rich grain. I'm also hooked on these crackers that have whole grains and sunflower seeds in them.

It turn out that I eat what I want and still come in under 800 calories. I eat smart and I can't eat much. I also stand by my tiny piece of dark chocolate every once in a while. Low in sugar dark chocolate (at least 70%) and unsweetened cocoa are full of anti-oxidants.

I'm 3 weeks out now and I passed out today. I called the doc and they said its cuz I'm not getting enough calories. I'm at about 500 cal but I still get in at least 90 g Protein plus all my liquids. In still 70 lbs above goal they say I should be at 800-1000 calories a day now.

I have been at 1000 cals min since about 3-4 weeks post-op, and then it was mostly between 1000-1200 during the first nine months post-op, when I wasn't working out yet. Once I added in three workouts per week (in addition to walking to/from work), I have averaged 1500 cals per day easily. My hunger never went away, but I still was able to do this. I am not a fan of super-low-cal approaches for my own reasons, so 1000 cals was a minimum for me. For a 5'6 woman, I would say 1200-1400 cals per day has been my average throughout the first year post-op. I'm not 'at goal' but I'm a normal BMI and have about 5kg more to lose. I also have always eaten three meals and three planned Snacks per day to keep my blood sugar stable throughout the day, just recently I have cut two of the snacks cos I no longer really need them. I have never had a liquid diet or Protein Shakes.< /p>

If you can eat 1200 to 1500 calories of Protein foods at two weeks out, then something has to be wrong. Lean Protein is not that high in calories. If you eat protein first, I dont see how you can hold any veggies or carbs at that early out. I was still on liquids at this point. I am surprised you dont have a leak if you are able to eat whole foods like that at this early point. Sure, you could drink your calories but what was the point of having surgery if you are just going to get the calories in any way you can? I understand that at a bigger BMI you might need more to sustain your energy but how to get it? Your sleeve is the same size no matter how much you weigh! How can you be expected to hold more than the rest of us? I say just eat lean protein until you are full and dont worry about the calories. Supplement with a Protein shake or two so you have some energy and just do your best.

Sorry, but this post is just full of assumption and misinformation. No, not all sleeves are the same size. Yes, some people can eat whole foods after two weeks. Yes, you can eat 1000+ cals with at least 40% of that as protein after two weeks, with nothing being wrong with you.

Just because it went one way for you, does not mean that's a constant for everyone.

There is no misinformation in my post and I am stating my opinion based on the information I received from the OP and I was responding to the original poster. We all have a right to post responses based on our experience that we think might help the person. Many of the responders share my experience as well. The diversity of this board is what keeps it interesting. Not everyone has the same experience as you had either. You dont have to agree with my opinion but it would be nice if you respected it.

I am getting all my protien in with one Protein shake (42 grams each) and then some food. i haven't been able to hit the 1200 goal yet...and I am careful what I eat...the dr has no concerns of a leak...i show no signs of one and he is confident that I am healing very well. my incisions are all healed.

Which shake are you drinking??

This is why you are in a stall. It's normal and expected. Your body will never go into a stall as long as you have body fat to burn:

Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

A weight loss stall or plateau is an extended period of time during reducing efforts where is there is no weight loss according to the scale and no loss of inches according to the tape measure. This is why it is so important to take your body measurements before surgery, so you'll have a reference as your weight loss progresses post-op. We suggest you take measurements of your chest, waist and hip, neck, upper arm, thigh and calf.

Be aware it is very common for your weight loss to "stall" shortly after surgery. Diana explains the reason for this below.

The Inevitable Stall

diana-after.jpg

By Diana C.

A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of Water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of Water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Breathe, and fuggedaboudit for a few days.

What You Can Do About a Stall or Plateau

woman-on-scale-unhappy.jpg

If you are experiencing a post-op weight loss stall or plateau further out there are a few possible causes. First, check that are you really in a stall. If the scale has stopped moving you may be losing inches, so check your measurements.

Too Many Carbs?

Carbohydrates can start sneaking into your foods without you being aware of how quickly they are adding up. For more information on carbs, see our section on Carbohydrates. If you are struggling with your weight loss you may want to examine your daily carb count. You can try to keep your carbs under 50g a day and see if that makes a difference in your weight loss. Do not eat carbs before bedtime as it triggers insulin and initiates fat storage. There are some great web site resources you can use to keep track of what you are eating.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU......FOR POSTING THIS!

Which shake are you drinking??

EAS Myoplex...they taste pretty good and there are 42 grams of Protein...so that really helps me hit my 64 gram goal every day.