Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin Question - Need Help Please

Hi,

Can you tell me what Vitamins you take and when you take them? With food, without food, what vitamins can't you take together? I did a search and read a couple of pages worth of posts but thought it would be easier to just ask. I'm not a regular poster - just a reader. Thanks for your help in advance.

Right now I take:

calcium citrate at 8:30am

Muti-Vitamin with D3 at lunch

B-12 at the same time (lunch)

Calcium citrate at 10:00pm

I need to add a addition D3 but not sure when I should include it. I'm 16 months post-op so I should no this stuff but I still get confused. Thanks!

Sure- right when I wake up I take my PPI and gall bladder prevention meds (I pill each)

Breakfast is Multivitamin, Biotin, fish oil

b1,d3 and B12 and Gummy Fiber chew for lunch

After a few hours calcium citrate chew

evening Multivitamin with PPI and GB

Thanks for asking this question! The Vitamin thing has been kinda confusing to me :( I'm about to get sleeved on the 26th and just want to thank anyone who helps us out :)

I really only take a chewable multivitamin, Centrum Silver, twice a day. I used to take a B12 supplement, but one multivitamin has at least 400% of your daily recommended B12, so my surgeon told me to stop taking the B12. I also take one 50,000 IU of Vitamin D a week since my levels are atrocious.

Getting all the pills in is a challenge for me. I take my thyroid pill when I get up. Actigall after Breakfast, flinstone chewable and B12 at lunch, oh and two calcium chews if I remember. If I was really good, I got a couple Calcium chews mid-morning too. After dinner is Actigall again and more calcium. Omperizole before bed. I'm trying to wean off the PPI. I joked with the nurse that they should hand out an "every 15 minute do this..." schedule and she said if people would follow it, they would!

Upon awakening, my Synthroid (I am hypothyroid)

1/2 Centrum multi with breakfast

500 mg calcium citrate chewable and 1000 IU Vitamin D midmorning

1/2 Centrum multi with lunch

500 mg calcium citrate chewable midafternoon

Carbonyl Iron and 500 mg Vitamin C before bed (I am anemic).

Tuesdays and Thursdays I add 2500 mcg of sublingual B-12 at breakfast.

Mondays and Thursdays I have 25,000 IU of Vitamin A

You can't take Iron and Calcium within 4 hours of each other.

PPIs will cause malabsorption of calcium due to reduced acid production in the stomach, so you might need to take more calcium than you think. PPIs will also cause reduced uptake of levothyroxine (Synthroid) so you may not need a reduction in dose as you get smaller.

This is just what has been working for me--my labs are great except for the iron, but I was anemic before surgery too.

Good question.....

Here is the list of what I should be taking daily from the Dr.

multi Vitamins -chewable (2 per day)

calcium citrate w/ vit D (1500 mg per day)

B-12 sublingual (2 x week, goes under tongue)

Vitamin D 1000u

Vitamin C 1000mg

flaxseed oil 2000 mg gel

selenium 200 mg

be sure to look at the lables, sometimes you may need to take 2 or 3 to reach the required dosage per day.

Thanks for everyone's answers!

Upon awakening' date=' my Synthroid (I am hypothyroid)

1/2 Centrum multi with breakfast

500 mg calcium citrate chewable and 1000 IU Vitamin D midmorning

1/2 Centrum multi with lunch

500 mg calcium citrate chewable midafternoon

Carbonyl Iron and 500 mg Vitamin C before bed (I am anemic).

Tuesdays and Thursdays I add 2500 mcg of sublingual B-12 at breakfast.

Mondays and Thursdays I have 25,000 IU of Vitamin A

You can't take Iron and Calcium within 4 hours of each other.

PPIs will cause malabsorption of calcium due to reduced acid production in the stomach, so you might need to take more calcium than you think. PPIs will also cause reduced uptake of levothyroxine (Synthroid) so you may not need a reduction in dose as you get smaller.

This is just what has been working for me--my labs are great except for the iron, but I was anemic before surgery too.[/quote']

My endocrinologist said you have to wait 4 hours after taking synthroid to take any other meds, it has to be completely dissolved through your system before taking anything else. I am hypo as well, I take 100 mcg of synthroid and my THS T4 and 5 were low my first set of bloodwork after surgery but I was still taking everything regularly only waiting an hour to take multi Vitamin with breakfast. Dunno if that is a cardinal rule of just what she suggests.

I am over a year and a half out I take a multi, Calcium, B super complex and D3 everyday. You are suppose to take them with food I still drink a Protein Shake every morning and take mine with it. You are not suppose to take a multi and calcium together. I also take a B12 three times a week.

I am supposed to be taking a multi, B12, Iron, vit D. Kinda strange on the variations from people. I am just waiting till I hit 3 months out before I start eating pills