Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

During my pre op blood work, my D level was 21.

I live in New England so not outside in sun much in winter.

Just wondering what others were told to do for treatment.

Thanks!

I found out several months ago after having my vsg 7 years ago that I am extremely deficient in Vitamin D which causes Hair loss and my hair had been thinning. I was told to take a prescription dose of D3 but opted for taking about 5000mg per day. As far as sun, at the time, I was getting plenty living in Louisiana so don't know how that happened...

Mine was 17 even lower and I live in NC. I was given some pretty high doses of Vitamin D by my primary doctor to take the weeks before surgery. My doc said must people today have low levels.

Mine was 4!! My doc told me to do 5000 IU sublingually everyday!!!.. I think I'm getting blood work done today... so, we'll see!

My Vitamin D level was 12. TWELVE. I live in a fairly sunny area, too. Mine is mainly genetics though, both my mom and uncle (her brother) have low vitamin D levels. I'm not sure how mine is doing now as I haven't had blood work done in a while. I take a weekly supplement that has something like 50,000 units of vitamin D.

Vitamin D deficiency is VERY common in obese individuals. It's because it's a fat soluble Vitamin and stored in fat cells. It has been in the news much recently as it's true many people are deficient, not just overweight people. It has recently been discovered that we need a lot more Vitamin D than previously thought and it's much more important to more body systems and functions than previously thought. Most of us don't even know we're vitamin D deficient until we get tested either before or after the weight loss surgery, but that is now changing too, as most doctors are starting to routinely test their patients, especially their 'larger' ones :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, it would be almost impossible for us to get as much vitamin D as we need from just the sun. I was reading an article (have to find it) that stated we would basically need to sit out in the full sun for 6 hours a day almost nude for our skin to soak up/convert as much vitamin D as we need.

I have been Vitamin D deficient for years and have to take two 2,000 IU capsules a day (or one 5,000 IU cap) to maintain a normal level. At first, you may need to double that to get UP to normal, then cut back to maintain.

There used to be concern, that since it is a fat soluble vitamin like Vitamin A and E, that if you take too much, it could be toxic (as excess is stored, not released through waste). But they have also released research that states up to 10,000 IU a day is safe (note I am NOT a doctor, so please ask yours or do your own research!)

There is a wealth of info out there on this topic now since there have been so many new studies done. I would listen to what your doctor told you to take for your deficiency and then have them monitor it every so often so you know how much to take for a maintenance dose.

Good luck!!

I suffer from severe malabsorption of Vitamin D, B12, potassium, and Iron. I see the physician regularly for prescriptions of the said Vitamins. Blood work is drawn every 3 - 4 months to make sure it's not getting worse. I also try to get outside often, but that is only on weekends cause I work 8 - 5 pm everyday. . .so sunshine doesn't do it for me. .

Luck...you're 7 years out from VSG? I think you're the 'oldest' sleeve I've ever come accross.

Can you give us an update on how you're doing? What you think if the sleeve this far out?

I have low Vit D too and I was told to take 5000u per day.

During my pre op blood work' date=' my D level was 21.

I live in New England so not outside in sun much in winter.

Just wondering what others were told to do for treatment.

Thanks![/quote']

I am currently talking 50,000 units per week.

I was taking about 25,000 IU per week but my levels were borderline, so now I've bumped it up to 35,000 IU per week. If it's still borderline when I have my panels checked again in Six months I'll go up to 42K IU p/w.

I use GNC brand which seems to be rather good. I also use them for my Biotin.

I was taking about 25,000 IU per week but my levels were borderline, so now I've bumped it up to 35,000 IU per week. If it's still borderline when I have my panels checked again in Six months I'll go up to 42K IU p/w.

I use GNC brand which seems to be rather good. I also use them for my Biotin.

Did having a low Vit D level postpone the surgery date? Just wondering if will cause a delay?

Did having a low Vit D level postpone the surgery date? Just wondering if will cause a delay?

As far as myself I wasn't given a print of what my levels were pre-surgery so I'm not sure if they were low or not. No matter though my surgery went along as scheduled. I also have not heard of anyone's surgery being cancelled due to too low Vitamin D. That's not to say it can't happen. Hopefully someone who knows for sure they had low D pre-surgery can chime in.

As far as myself I wasn't given a print of what my levels were pre-surgery so I'm not sure if they were low or not. No matter though my surgery went along as scheduled. I also have not heard of anyone's surgery being cancelled due to too low Vitamin D. That's not to say it can't happen. Hopefully someone who knows for sure they had low D pre-surgery can chime in.

I knew what my Vitamin D levels were before surgery. We had to have a full blood work panel done. My surgeon was the one who prescribed the supplement to me pre-op. After that, he didn't check my levels again, and we went ahead with the surgery. I'm guessing if it's not too much of an issue, (such as maybe having extreme osteoporosis and severely low Vitamin D levels?) it doesn't really affect surgery. Can't say for sure though, I just know it didn't affect whether or not I got the surgery.

I had to start TX for low Vit D about 18 months ago, at the same time I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. My level was 4. Two months of weekly 50,000 iu doses and it got up to 45, so I've been on a daily 5,000 iu dose since.

Sent from my iPad using VST