Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Scale Is Broken! A Story About Stalls...

I wanted to take a moment to share my experience with stalls, because I see a lot of people getting discouraged because of them and that's simply not necessary and really bad for your self esteem.

I was sleeved 1/20 - over the first 4 weeks I lost 40-freaking-pounds! Amazing! I was so excited and thought to myself "At this rate I'll be at goal by Easter!" And then, about half way through my 4th week something sad happened. My scale broke! I mean, it must have been broken because it kept saying 237 every-single-time I stepped on it, so SURELY it must have been broken, right? Wrong. I was stalled. I'd read the posts, I'd done my research, I knew it was possible but like most I thought "HA! Not me!"

For the next 2 1/2 weeks I analyzed every bite I put in my mouth, I doubled up my sessions with my trainer, I increased my Protein and fluids, to no avail! A week after my stall started, the scale still would not budge! Seriously, it's digital, how could it be broken? Maybe I somehow saved my last weigh in and it was just showing me that # every time I stepped on. Maybe? No. Maybe this was it. Maybe 40lbs was all I was meant to lose? No. Maybe I'm just built differently and the sleeve isn't going to work for me? No! It was a stall! A point at which the weight temporarily stops coming off and the scale stops moving. A time for my body to try and play catch up after the havoc wreaked on it for the previous 4 weeks.

Two 1/2 weeks after my stupid stall started, I noticed something - I was getting a LOT of compliments! I mean, sure people had been commenting before my stall but now, now people I NEVER talked to were commenting how good I was looking and what a great job I was doing. Surely they must be mistaken, I haven't lost ANY weight in the last 2 1/2 weeks. They're crazy. To prove it, I took a picture.

As I sat at my computer making my little collage so I could show them just how crazy they were, a gasp escaped my mouth when I added the last picture. Could it be? Surely it wasn't possible! I am the EXACT same weight that I was in picture #2, a fact that I was painfully aware of, but something was different. I actually LOOK thinner! Amazing! And to think I spent the previous 2 1/2 weeks silently stressing because the scale wasn't budging! The whole time while my weight wasn't shrinking, my waist was!

So to all of you out there stressing over stalls my message is this - Just because your weight isn't shrinking, doesn't mean your waist isn't. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will be successful - don't sabotage your success just because your scale is temporarily broken ;-)

7weeksPostOp-1.jpg

So true! I was sleeved 1/31 and I wish I would've taken people's advise to measure myself and not to focus on the scale. You look great!

thank you ! What a timely post. I thought my scale was somehow not working correctly too. You can see by my signature that I have actually gained 2 lbs in the past 10 days (could be water). So... deep breath.... this will work, this HAS to work, it is physically impossible to NOT work !

It is kind of interesting though because when I have dieted in the past and come to a stall like this I would just give up. This time I CAN'T give up. Thank you Mr. Sleeve !

Congrats Lilee, you look great!!!

How timely indeed!! I am now 5 weeks out and have been stalled for a week and a half....boy is it frustrating!! Unfortunately I don't have a good "before" picture to compare myself to and even with the huge wt loss I have had, I have only changed 1 size so far. But I know it will come, its just going to take some time! :)

Well yo are looking fantastic lady!!! Congrats!!!

I was sleeved on December 28th and I just overcame my first stall, which lasted FIVE WEEKS! Like most of you, I lost 33 pounds right off the bat, but that fast and furious weight loss soon came to an abrupt stop. I was convinced that the sleeve just wasnt going to work for me or that the battery in my new scale was just not working. However, I was loosing inches during the five week stall, as I actually went down a pant size during that time. It is just mentally draining to step on the scale and see the same number everyday for 5 weeks.

Atlast, I am happy to say that I have lost 7 pounds in the last 1.5 weeks. I hope that the "stall" doesnt show his ugly face for a while!! :P

This is such an inspiring transformation for us all. We are forced to look at our anxieties and fears of not being able to lose our fat. It will happen whether you watch you scale or not. It's time to enjoy the day and enjoy our transformations.

CONGRATS to everyone for our successes! We are looking good! ;)

Thanks for the post. I really needed the encouragement.

Ok, I know this post will be helpful to many, but I'm positive you wrote it just for me!! I'm one month out and I've lost 40 pounds total, and I've been stalled for a week and a half. Every time I step on the scale it says 300. I'm waiting with baited breath to see that number drop into the 200's, and it just NOT HAPPENING!!! I'm getting 6 to 700 calories a day, drinking, and walking. What else can I do! I keep taking pictures every couple of days, and I have my measurements to go by, so i'm hoping that will be my encouragement during this stall- or as I like to call it- 'plateau.' I knew this would happen, and I know everything you are saying is true. I just didn't know I'd freak out so much about it. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll come back and read this when I need to.. :)

So to all of you out there stressing over stalls my message is this - Just because your weight isn't shrinking, doesn't mean your waist isn't. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will be successful - don't sabotage your success just because your scale is temporarily broken ;-)

Good timing for me as well - I had one stall at 231.8 for two weeks; then started to loose once again; now three weeks later I am at a stall at 221.8 ! But the compliments just keep coming and the clothes just keep getting falling off. Today I had to move the seat of my car up closer to the steering wheel.

Just came back from a work sponsored health fair - my cholestral is way down; blood pressure is perfect and BMI is down 12%. I am thrilled with all the good news.

I am halfway to where I want to be; and happy with the results.

I wanted to take a moment to share my experience with stalls' date=' because I see a lot of people getting discouraged because of them and that's simply not necessary and really bad for your self esteem.

I was sleeved 1/20 - over the first 4 weeks I lost 40-freaking-pounds! Amazing! I was so excited and thought to myself "At this rate I'll be at goal by Easter!" And then, about half way through my 4th week something sad happened. My scale broke! I mean, it must have been broken because it kept saying 237 every-single-time I stepped on it, so SURELY it must have been broken, right? Wrong. I was stalled. I'd read the posts, I'd done my research, I knew it was possible but like most I thought "HA! Not me!"

For the next 2 1/2 weeks I analyzed every bite I put in my mouth, I doubled up my sessions with my trainer, I increased my Protein and fluids, to no avail! A week after my stall started, the scale still would not budge! Seriously, it's digital, how could it be broken? Maybe I somehow saved my last weigh in and it was just showing me that # every time I stepped on. Maybe? No. Maybe this was it. Maybe 40lbs was all I was meant to lose? No. Maybe I'm just built differently and the sleeve isn't going to work for me? No! It was a stall! A point at which the weight temporarily stops coming off and the scale stops moving. A time for my body to try and play catch up after the havoc wreaked on it for the previous 4 weeks.

Two 1/2 weeks after my stupid stall started, I noticed something - I was getting a LOT of compliments! I mean, sure people had been commenting before my stall but now, now people I NEVER talked to were commenting how good I was looking and what a great job I was doing. Surely they must be mistaken, I haven't lost ANY weight in the last 2 1/2 weeks. They're crazy. To prove it, I took a picture.

As I sat at my computer making my little collage so I could show them just how crazy they were, a gasp escaped my mouth when I added the last picture. Could it be? Surely it wasn't possible! I am the EXACT same weight that I was in picture #2, a fact that I was painfully aware of, but something was different. I actually LOOK thinner! Amazing! And to think I spent the previous 2 1/2 weeks silently stressing because the scale wasn't budging! The whole time while my weight wasn't shrinking, my waist was!

[/quote']

Omg !!!!!! U know what is going into my 4r week and I stop loosin weight for neally 2 weeks now!!

:( I was So so scared ! I didint even wanna eat anything thinking maybe im eating to much ! :( I was really scared !!!!

Not thanks to you I understand ! And I feel a bit better now!!!! Thank u !!! X

I too am at a bit of a stall but I feel ok about it after all your posts...thanks!!

I wanted to take a moment to share my experience with stalls, because I see a lot of people getting discouraged because of them and that's simply not necessary and really bad for your self esteem.

7weeksPostOp-1.jpg

Good! I honestly don't know how many times I've stressed this to others myself... ;)

There is so much more to the journey than that little scale... so very much more.