Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the sleeve done feb 8 and it's been a rough experience for me. I'm having a really tough time with the Protein everyone I tried so far makes me so sick and a few times made me vomit. Now I'm having a tough time with my chewable vitamins the after taste is making me nauseous. I spoke to my doc and he basically told me to suck it up and deal with it. Lol does anyone have any advice? Please!

I wish I had advice, but all I can say is it will get better. For the first 2 months I never made my Protein goals, I couldn't tolerate a single Protein Drink. Then I went back to one I had discounted but I was able to tolerate it all of a sudden. I now easily get 70 gm protein, today will be between 80-90 gms. Also have you discussed just taking the Vitamins with your surgeon? I was swallowing pills at about a month post op.

I was swallowing pills after week one - I take a Multivitamin that is a softgel (Nature Made brand) and I used to take the Citracal petites (I had to take a lot per day, but I couldn't stand any of the liquid or chewables). I take a regular Calcium tablet now (2 tabs 2xday) and the softgel multivites (1 softgel 2xday).

As for the Protein, just keep trying different options. I had the best luck with the unflavored Protein mixed with Decaf coffee, a little 1% milk and splenda.

Have you tried Gummy bear Vitamins. I also went to Muscle Max and bought Protein drink that was wild berry flavor so it is more like a soda than a shake of choc, vanilla or some other flavor

When I told him everything was making me sick including smells and I have occasionally vomited from it he basically told me 2 keep pushing the Protein in because it's very important for healing and if i didn't I would start losing my hair so I'm so paranoid about that. I spent so much money on so many different Proteins and it's the same out come I can NOT tolerate any of them it's horrible. My taste buds and my smells are so off it's crazy. I still can't even get the 64oz of water/ Fluid in that he recommends daily. I'm so scared at this point that I even regret my decision on having the sleeve done :( . My doc is very hardcore it's his way or no way that's what made me look for a site like this so I could speak to people who have been through it already.

When I told him everything was making me sick including smells and I have occasionally vomited from it he basically told me 2 keep pushing the Protein in because it's very important for healing and if i didn't I would start losing my hair so I'm so paranoid about that. I spent so much money on so many different Proteins and it's the same out come I can NOT tolerate any of them it's horrible. My taste buds and my smells are so off it's crazy. I still can't even get the 64oz of water/ Fluid in that he recommends daily. I'm so scared at this point that I even regret my decision on having the sleeve done :( . My doc is very hardcore it's his way or no way that's what made me look for a site like this so I could speak to people who have been through it already.

Honestly I did not meet my requirements for a fair while after surgery, however today I am down 70 lbs and pretty healthy. Just do your best, there is nothing more you can do but that.

I had the same problems and when I talked to my doctor about it he said to keep trying and yes how important it was, but also that it would be hard for the first few weeks. Actually, it wasn't until I was able to start eating "regular" food again that I am able to meet my requirements. I still can't stand any Protein Drinks and have tons here. Good luck and just try not to stress too much. You will start to meet the requirements soon.

Early post-op, it's more important to get in the liquids than the Protein. Work on the liquids and do the best you can on protein. It does get easier once you're back on solid food again.

maybe switch up to a Gummy Vitamin? I can't even think about chewable Vitamins - the thought makes me blech!

Most important in the first week or two is liquids. Sounds like you should be on full liquids by now? Perhaps try either powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or the premiere Protein shakes? I've found them to go down quite easily.

I hope you find your answer!

Sad to hear how much you are struggling. Remember you are just a month out with a Feb 4th surgery date.

Agreeing with other posters, I did not get my Protein in that first month. Those thick overly sweet shakes make me sick to my stomach. So - what worked for me was Isopure 40gm clear Protein from GNC in apple melon. Sort of like a jolly rancher green melon. You can purchase for around $4 a bottle. Grab 2 or 3 flavors. Now, I was not sucking these down easily but I could get at least one in a day, which went a LONG way to meet my protien goals.

Also, I use a Protein shake cuppacino which I still use today occasionally when traveling. 15 gm of protein. Can barely even tell it is Protein Shake. You can pick those up on the internet for 7 a box @ $10 or under. Sounds like a lot of money but so much less than what we were probably spending on meals out prior to surgery. I hear the Hot Cocoa is good. Trick to using these is NOT to use boiling Water but very hot tap Water. If water is too hot, the protien lumps. Google barriatric protien Cappuccino Lastly on this, I had a 4 month lactose intolerance so make with water. Now I use hot milk and even up the protien count more.

Vitamins. Hmm, I used flinstone complete the first few months, crushed with a spoon in cottage cheese. If this does not work, you can google "liquid vitamins" or go visit your local health food store for some liquid.< /p>

Stick in there. Promise that things will get better slowly. At six months it was almost as if I never had surgery. Most of us "oldies" agree that around the 5 to 6 month mark, life dramatically changed overall for the better.

HUGS to you.

I had the sleeve done feb 8 and it's been a rough experience for me. I'm having a really tough time with the Protein everyone I tried so far makes me so sick and a few times made me vomit. Now I'm having a tough time with my chewable Vitamins the after taste is making me nauseous. I spoke to my doc and he basically told me to suck it up and deal with it. Lol does anyone have any advice? Please!

Kim, I am having the same issues. Sleeved on 2/20... Protein and Vitamins are killing me! Bleh.... it is the texture of the chewables that makes me gag! So, today I found a Gummy Vitamin that is actually kinda yummy :) As for protein, I have made it my mission to not eat anything that is not protein of some sort. I know its not enough right now, but until I find a flavorless one I can't do it right now...

Omg!!! It's horrible and I know at this point Protein is very important but they all make me so sick and I know a lot has 2 do with my taste buds and smells being all screwed up but it really sucks I'm having such a hard time even with my liquid intake :(. I bought the Premier Protein from costco and I'm going 2 try one tonight ( fingers crossed) a lot of people on this site recommend that one and also the injury protein as this point I'll try anything because im still not really able 2 eat my doc says its because I'm still really swollen besides the sleeve I had a hernia repair and a lot of scar tissue removed But I will let u know how the Protein Shake taste. Good luck