Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Allowed To Post If I Haven't Seen The Surgeon Yet?

Hi, I'm Barb and I've been lurking for awhile and even posted a couple of times.

I'm in the very beginning stages of the process. I had my psych eval and "passed". I have my last pre- surgical consult NUT meeting next week- been 3 times and have actually gained 7 lbs since I have been eating everything in sight (well, not my dog or anything...) and am a little disappointed in myself. I also have been avoiding even the smallest amount of exercise- and the ironic thing is that I really love to exercise but now I am so heavy and it hurts so I don't do it. I am sure a lot of you know the cycle I'm in...

I have a lot more to say about myself, but I know that this should be a short intro.

I see the surgeon and the bariatric NUT on April 12. I am assuming that I will be given a strict regimen to follow. I'm okay with that- I mean I am doing this so I can learn to eat less. I was wondering, though, did any of you have overeating phases between when you were deciding whether to have surgery anfmd when you axmctually had a consult ir sm inthe onky one with this behavior.

BTW, I am 55 and about 320- been 260-355 on and off for the past 15 years.

Hey, thanks, all of you, for being here. What a great place to get info on this life-affirming decision!

I am in that same in-between/ before surgery phase, and I've been gaining weight in anticipation of the surgery, I think it's my nervousness! I know how you feel! :)

I was sleeved a little less than 5 weeks ago. I did the same thing is so many others on here. Someone said to me it is like having a funeral with food. Kind of like having a last meal, (everything ) before surgery.

P.S. Post away!!! Congrats on your decision. :)

Definatly "allowed" to post! Ask as many questions as you can think of and get your self ready for this new life you will be living.

I honestly didnt have that happen to me BUT that is becuase my surgeon required I loss 10% of excess weight before they would even let me see the surgeon (after first visit) for two reasons 1. to shrink my liver and 2. to weed out people not committed to changing their eating habits. A majority of their patients start the process and dont finish. There is no way the could preform the number of surgeries as they have consults. I lost over 20lbs cause I didnt want to mess that up. I did go out for a "last meal" at outback but by that time my tummy couldnt take that much food anyway.

I am sure others will chime in and have similar experiences.

heck yeah! post away! Hopefully some of us can give you some tips and maybe answer any questions you might have! Glad you're on your way! :) let me know if I can help!

I'm about 5 weeks post -op and I've lost 46 lbs since 2 weeks before surgery

Of course :)...welcome and congrats!!!!!!!

You're not alone. I gained about 25 lbs during my 6 month supervised "diet". I wasn't trying to lose though. I had a BMI of 38 and no co-morbidities. My insurance requires 35 or higher with co-morbidities or BMI >40 with no additional co-morbidities. So I got my BMI up to 43. Welcome to the board!

Hi,

I've been in the "pre-op" stage since the end of December and I'm having a tough time with eating as well lately. I joined WW with a couple of friends in January (they were planning to do it anyway) and I thought it would be good for me (I've done it countless times before with varying degrees of success only to end up gaining it all back plus more). It went well for a few weeks, and then I gained a couple of pounds and got discouraged once again. So, I've been more piggy lately and rather resistant to exercise. I'm not sure what's going on, but I think it might be nerves. My surgery should be sometime at the end of May.

Thanks for posting. I was beginning to think that I was the only one having this problem!!

Good luck!

I wasn't required to loose weight for surgery.....it was suggested but Nott mandatory. I did however east less and my weight would fluxuate towards the end when I felt like I needed to get in that last sushi roll with dessert and a soda. I drank sodas until the last three days pre op and the funny thing is I am not addicted to soda like some people I know I just thought I needed to have a Pepsi since it was going to be my last. Congratulations on your way to a new life but I think it's okay to enjoy your old life while you can too (the little devil on my shoulder agrees too).

Whew. Looks like I'm not such a freak after all ( shhh, don't tell any of my friends!)

Thanks for welcoming me- this place looks like its filled with supportive people- though I'm sure, like any board, itchas it's days!

I've been on every diet known to modern man, and have lost on every one of them. Then, the "click" in my head either thinks, "well, 50 lbs isn't bad- I can stay at this weight for a bit" or " it's just not fair that everyone else can eat what they want and I can't" and BOOM, I'm back where I was.

I've been dealing with the issues of why I am obese for so long! Now I'm ready to deal with, " what does it matter, get rid of that "Testudo" ( that's my word for my fat- it's a formation Roman soldiers used where they huddled together and used their shields to deflect oncoming arrows) and LIVE LIFE!"

Thanks again for answering. I'll try not to be so wordy in the future- it's just nice to have like-minded people to listen.

Heck, yeah...post away! I'm still pre-op and I've been able to better inform myself about the future by mainly reading the posts of others but also by asking questions that pertain to my case specifically. That's what it's all about!

Good luck!

Ted

Interesting that you referenced "the turtle"! Talk away you sound very interesting!

Yes, please post! Welcome and congrats!! :)

I am new as well to the whole process and still waiting to have my surgeon visit too. I am just so excited to start this new chapter of my life! Little nervous, things are all starting to move forward fast.

Definatly "allowed" to post! Ask as many questions as you can think of and get your self ready for this new life you will be living.

I honestly didnt have that happen to me BUT that is becuase my surgeon required I loss 10% of excess weight before they would even let me see the surgeon (after first visit) for two reasons 1. to shrink my liver and 2. to weed out people not committed to changing their eating habits. A majority of their patients start the process and dont finish. There is no way the could preform the number of surgeries as they have consults. I lost over 20lbs cause I didnt want to mess that up. I did go out for a "last meal" at outback but by that time my tummy couldnt take that much food anyway.

I am sure others will chime in and have similar experiences.

I have been very curious about why people mention shrinking the liver.. Never heard of it, what's the point?