Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Cancelled And Only 2 Weeks Away!

I was scheduled for my pre-op today (surgery scheduled for March 20) and right before I left home, my insurance coordinator called me to reschedule! (Boo). She said that my insurance is requesting weight info from '09 and '10. Now, I did my 6 month supervised dr visits and she submitted all that ,but they came back with needing the '09 and '10 weights.

We rescheduled for next Monday... But that's only 1 week from surgery! I feel like that's cutting it close, but here's my question....I thought today they would have had me start a pre-op diet but when I asked about that today, I was told that my surgeon only requires pre-op diet for patients with a BMI over 50, so I won't have to do the pre-op diet (???) I'm so confused because I thought from everything ive been reading, you have to shrink you're liver. BTW... My BMI is at 49. I wonder if you guys think I should put myself on the liquid diet just to be on the safe side or will I be ok NOT doing any type of pre-op diet??

I'm so confused...advice please!!

I was scheduled for my pre-op today (surgery scheduled for March 20) and right before I left home' date=' my insurance coordinator called me to reschedule! (Boo). She said that my insurance is requesting weight info from '09 and '10. Now, I did my 6 month supervised dr visits and she submitted all that ,but they came back with needing the '09 and '10 weights.

We rescheduled for next Monday... But that's only 1 week from surgery! I feel like that's cutting it close, but here's my question....I thought today they would have had me start a pre-op diet but when I asked about that today, I was told that my surgeon only requires pre-op diet for patients with a BMI over 50, so I won't have to do the pre-op diet (???) I'm so confused because I thought from everything ive been reading, you have to shrink you're liver. BTW... My BMI is at 49. I wonder if you guys think I should put myself on the liquid diet just to be on the safe side or will I be ok NOT doing any type of pre-op diet??

I'm so confused...advice please!![/quote']

I would if I were you, I think it helped me deal with not being able to eat after the surgery. It was good to rid my body of all the toxins and gave me a fresh start. I'm only 10 days out from surgery and still have awhile before I can even eat mushies. I also lost a lot of weight on the liquid diet, so it was a good headstart. Good luck on jumping through all the insurance hoops. It will work out.

I would do 2 shakes a day plus a healthy meal of protien and veggie for a couple of weeks . It shrinks the liver and that way you won't have to worry about your liver being to large.

Julie

I'm a March 20 sleever & my pre-op is Friday (only 1 business day before yours), so I think you're alright. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

There are so many pre-op regimens out there. My surgeon only required that I eat very low fat and vegetarian for two weeks prior. My BMI was at 40.

Oh, and nothing to eat or drink after midnight before surgery, of course!

But if I were you I would do whatever I could to optimize the surgery. You'll never regret doing the pre-op diet.

every doc is different - Doing a pre op diet will make everything easier as it will shrink your liver.

I agree with everyone else, it certainly will do you no harm. As stated it shrinks the liver and will assure that your colon is NOT packed full of food - some (not all) people have pretty bad Constipation post-op due largely to the shock and anesthesia reaction. Not pleasant at any time, especially not while your hurting from the operation.

Besides it gives you a jump start on the weight loss and with a definite short term goal of the operation day in mind you are more easily able to stay on it.

We all wish you the best!

Thank you ALL for your input! So today was day 1 of my own 2 week pre op diet... Not too bad, I'm just now getting really hungry, but I'm about to go to sleep so I can stave off the hunger ;) BTW this is what I ate today... High protein/ low sugar shake... Greek yogurt , sf pudding ,string cheese and Tomato Soup for supper with a sf popcicle after that ... Not too shabby! Is that about right??

I think you did great!

Thank you ALL for your input! So today was day 1 of my own 2 week pre op diet... Not too bad, I'm just now getting really hungry, but I'm about to go to sleep so I can stave off the hunger ;) BTW this is what I ate today... High protein/ low sugar shake... Greek yogurt , sf pudding ,string cheese and Tomato Soup for supper with a sf popcicle after that ... Not too shabby! Is that about right??

Disney, my doctor told me yesterday that he wants me to do a 4 WEEK liquid diet. I freaked out and it still bothered me today. I feel loss, afraid that I won't make it...my mind is all over the place. Thanks for sharing what you ate, it gives me ideas. I have one more appointment before they submit paperwork to my insurance. Best wishes, keep us posted on how you're doing.

Disney' date=' my doctor told me yesterday that he wants me to do a 4 WEEK liquid diet. I freaked out and it still bothered me today. I feel loss, afraid that I won't make it...my mind is all over the place. Thanks for sharing what you ate, it gives me ideas. I have one more appointment before they submit paperwork to my insurance. Best wishes, keep us posted on how you're doing.[/quote']

4 weeks!!! Bless your heart! I was told by a friend of mine that straining Soups is what got her through. I'm really starting to hate broth and I'm only on day 4 so I'm gonna start that tomorrow :)