Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did You Drop A Size In Clothes?

Hi everyone :blink:

I seem to be experiencing my first plateau and trying not to freak out. I'm 23 days post-op and have only lost 15 pounds. I know from reading this forum that everyone loses at different rates, and that 15 pounds is still a great accomplishment. The last time I was in the 230's was about 5-6 years ago, and I am very happy about that. But my doctor told me last week he expected me to lose more by now, and I'm supposed to lose another 6 (minimum) by next Wednesday. Not feeling very confident that is going to happen. <_<

I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do as far as calories/carbs/fat/liquids go - most days I take in 80+ ounces of water/fluids. And I've bumped up my exercise to over an hour every day. A majority of my calories are shakes and brothy Soups w/protein mix added, though I started some mushies last week. At best I get in a scrambled or poached egg w/1oz. light cheese, 1/4 cup of cottage cheese w/ 1tbsp unsweetened applesauce, or 1/4 cup greek yogurt, plain, no fruit. I made an amazing roasted cauliflower Soup the other night w/just garlic, shallots, celery and veggie broth pureed thoroughly. Felt so good to cook again! Kept it light (1/4 cup only) since it is a higher carb veggie. Hoping to make one with asparagus soon. I'm sure my body is just adjusting to the change from liquids to mushies, from 500 calories per day to almost 700 and 70g Protein to 80-90g.

What's bumming me out is that I'm not really wearing different clothes yet. I can fit more easily into size 20 pants, but I still have some size 22 that I can wear. I know, mass cuts makes it all relative. I bought one bra size down, and it's a little tight - but passable. I was hoping after losing 30lbs (15 pre/15 post) that I'd be noticing it more in clothes. But I'm not. And I ran into some friends the other day who said nothing, even though I feel I can totally see it in my face/neck.

Trying to stay positive and logical. I know it will happen, even if it's slow it's better than where I used to be and I know it will happen EVENTUALLY :rolleyes:

So how long before you really felt a noticeable difference?

About how much did you have to lose before you really went down a FULL size in clothing?

I can't really answer your question as far as "how long" as I don't pay that much attention to when, but at just over nine weeks out, I have gone from size 18 jeans being a little tight to size 14 being very comfortable (same brand and style of jeans).

Maybe your friends aren't saying anything because they are trying to be polite? Most of my friends haven't brought it up either, although it is glaringly obvious. Also, if the friends are larger people, they may feel a bit of a distance from you. Not sure, but some relationships do change, in my opinion/experience.

I know all doctors are different, but mine said that at ~30 pounds lost at seven weeks or whatever, I was right on track and doing well. You are supposed to lose six pounds in one week? That's quite a bit of pressure. I wouldn't sweat it too much since you are doing what you are supposed to do.

Be patient with yourself. I only lost 17 lbs the first month. Then I stalled for over a week. Now I have dropped 5 lbs in the span of less than a week. It is so strange how the body loses weight. I keep being reminded that it will come off, but I can't control the pace!

I have dropped a size so far at 6 weeks out and the next size down fits, but is too snug to wear.

I carry most of my weight in the middle of my body so it took me about 30-35 pounds to go down a full size. I have now lost 40 pounds and use Shapewear but I am not close to going down a size again. Many lose a size every 15 pounds, not me yet. Hopefully you have been taking your measurements every month.

Be patient! It will happen. (christin, the poster above me, reminded me of that the other day and it's working. :P )

It was about 6 weeks before I dropped a pant size and that was around 50# down. But then it was rapid after that. I think I was in the next size for only 2 weeks.

Don't worry, it will happen. Just think about it. It has to. You can't lose this kind of weight and not change size.

My size changes didn't start happening until around 50 pounds down, and then they were clipping.... now that I'm not losing very fast, I miss the excitement of the constant drop! LOL But it's nice to buy clothes and know that they're going to fit for a while.

Don't worry--just keep doing what you're doing. The changes will become very noticeable soon. Most people's comments to me started around the time my size changes started happening, and they haven't stopped yet. :-)

You should also ask someone else if they think the clothes you were wearing are too big for you. I was wearing the same pants that I wore before surgery for about a month afterwards even though I was down about 20 lbs. I did have to hitch them up every so often but to my eye they were still wearable. I had a few people that knew that I had surgey tell me that it was time to buy some new clothes. I went to Old Navy and at first I was trying on size 20 figuring between the vanity sizing and the fact that I was wearing their 24's before that should be where I was but surprisingly I was able to get into their 18's and even those are starting to get a little loose. I think that we are just prone to not always being a good judge on how clothes look on our changing bodies.

Also I wouldn't worry about people not saying anything, I think at times people are afraid to say something early on. And there are times when the opposite is true, I had friends say they could see a difference and I thought I looked the same. I'm only now seeing a slight difference in my face

Any doctor that says you need to lose x by x should be shot. This is not a race, enjoy getting to know your new body. Remember the slower it comes off the longer it stays off.

Thanks everyone! It's interesting to hear how it happened for everyone, to know just how differently our bodies react. Yes, I thought it was crazy for my doctor to tell me how much to lose. His exact words were, "Lose ten pounds in the next two weeks." And considering my (scales!) show only 4 pounds in 7 days, I deducted the rest. He wants me to aim to lose 60 in the first three months. I know he's giving me targets to shoot for, but it's daunting when I start comparing myself to others who seem to lose faster.

Shellyac -- I should do just that! So far, my husband is the only person who knows. He tells me things are definitely baggy on me, but he's the worst in fashion judgement :P so he rarely notices what I'm wearing. I put on a shirt today that used to hug my hips and fit tightly around my lower arms; today it hung very loose (seemed like there was a large gap around my waist) and was loose in the arms. It IS happening! I put weight on evenly everywhere and the doc told me I'd lose it the same way, so it's not like my middle is going to lose it first. Seems to be happening in the legs, waist, hips, arms, and face so far. With that, it will most likely take more poundage before I see full size shifts :mellow:

As for friend's not noticing, I only see these people 2-3 times a year. So I don't blame them for not seeing the change. Plus, the wife is 6 months pregnant and her mind was elsewhere!

Although I am pre-op I have started working on changing my eating habits such as not drinking with my meal and waiting 45 minutes to one hour to drink after eating. Also, I began exercising. When I met with the dietitian on 2-20-12 I had gained a couple of pounds since my previous appointment. However, I lost fat and gained muscle. Does your doctor track this?

Edited by under construction