Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Nosy Boss.....

....will ask me what kind of surgery I'm having and I don't want to tell him because he's annoying and he's judgmental. Any ideas of what kind of surgery I should tell him I'm having? I was thinking I would say gall bladder removal but then I researched recovery time and I think it's too short.

Also for anyone in HR do I have to tell HR?

Thanks all!!

I told my boss I was having my gallbladder removed. Some people take longer to recover an others. I don't think you have to tell HR what kind of surgery you're having. The doctor does have to complete the FLMA/ short term paperwork. Mine only listed the types of symptoms I was having weight gain, back pain, ... (very generic stuff).

If you do end up saying something to HR they can not tell your boss or anyone else because of HIPAA regulations.

I told my work I was having my hiatal hernia repaired only. My hernia was repaired at the same time they did my sleeve. I am not very close with my coworkers and didn't think I needed to share every detail. I believe the recovery time is about 1 to 2 weeks, more like 4 weeks if you have to lift at your work. Plus if you get a hiatal hernia repaired you have to chew your food really well and take small bites, so sort of fits with the sleeve.

I was in the same situation on Saturday, i had to fax in my medical leave form to the company i work for, and the Hr person who helped me faxed it. i asked her (my mistake because she was not even reading the paper where it says weight loss surgery small printed on the bottom) lol. Do you think two weeks is too much to ask since i just got promoted and don't want my team feeling like i am already on "vacation".. and she said its ok, and asked what are you having done.. n i rambled off n told her ooh abdominal pasty lol wth lol n she was like huh what is that.. well something told me to just tell her, she looked sincere n other than being a nice person, she could keep a secret..so i told her i am having the sleeve, and still she didn't understand, so i finally told her weight loss surgery and she goes aaaaah, really, then we sit n talk about it n she tells me she considered it but did not know how to go about it, so we talked for like 20mins, n told me to bring her a business card about the doc i go to.. so hey not so bad i guess. but when i see her again i will just remind me, please be discrete about this.. so um search something to tell ur boss, this is the only person i told in hr,/my job since she was faxing the forms for me.. but if u feel that way about ur boss dont tell him, the only people that know in my life are my mom, bestfriend, a co worker/friend that got the surgery , and now one of the hr personals, and number one God, plus this online community which i love!!!

I completly understand. I have been off work 2 weeks and go back tomorrow. My Co workers have been texting me and wanting to stop by.... They have never stopped by before its been over a year that i have know them. I didnt tell anyone my supervisor or my HR department. We have a 3rd party company that handles the FMLA paper work in order to keep it all confidential. I told them I am having a personal surgery. Thats all they need to know they are co workers not friends or loved ones.SO since I have been off 2 weeks. I have loss 35 pounds , Im hope they dont notice too much lol.

....will ask me what kind of surgery I'm having and I don't want to tell him because he's annoying and he's judgmental. Any ideas of what kind of surgery I should tell him I'm having? I was thinking I would say gall bladder removal but then I researched recovery time and I think it's too short.

Also for anyone in HR do I have to tell HR?

Thanks all!!

Hi,

I worked in Health Care for a number of years, and NO you do not have to tell him what kind of surgery you are having. There are what they call HIPA rules and he does NOT have the right to ask you. You have a right to privacy when it comes to your Health Care.

Just tell him you are having surgery and that is all you need to tell him. If he asked tell him that under HIPA rules you are not required to tell him. That should keep him quite.

Hope that helps,

Suzanne

I told the person I use his office space and he was really happy. He says this will be the best thing I have ever done. And he's always telling me how he didn't recognize me from behind. LOL He is always telling me how good I'm looking. I just say yep, thank you very much.

I love my new body, and it's coming a long really great!

I actually talk openly about my surgery. If people want to be judgemental then let them, I love the choice I made and if they think I took the easy way out, i tell them how wrong they are and smile. <_<

I vote for Hernia. Around 40 % of WLS patients have to have their gallbladders removed after surgery due to the rapid weight loss. That would be awkward if you did end up sick from your gallbladder and had to have it removed if you already said you had it done.

I told my boss I was having my gallbladder removed. Some people take longer to recover an others. I don't think you have to tell HR what kind of surgery you're having. The doctor does have to complete the FLMA/ short term paperwork. Mine only listed the types of symptoms I was having weight gain, back pain, ... (very generic stuff).

If you do end up saying something to HR they can not tell your boss or anyone else because of HIPAA regulations.

bosses and HR departments aren't bound by HIPPA.

I would frankly tell them its none of their business - if your boss won't give up and you want to tell him something - tell him its a girly thing.

yep i did the girly thing too. told my work i had "plumbing issues" and there were no more questions.

You have more privacy rights than you know. You are not require to tell an employer if you are married, have children, own property or anything about your personal life or health. Bosses do not have a legal right to know these things, but employees do have a right to privacy. Just politely say, "that is personal." and leave it at that. I worked for an employment agency once that instructed all employees to answer any questions by sub-contractors this way.

Stomach ulcers. That will also make you lose weight. My dad had that done and he lost tons of weight. . . . and if he says why do you have ulcers. . . just laugh and shake your head. . . he'll get it (maybe)

When my pastor asked my husband what kind of surgery I had, my husband said well it's one of those female things and my pastor backed off and said oh ok.

I work in a high school. We returned on Jan. 3 from Winter Break. My surgery was scheduled for Jan. 10. I started telling people I would be out for 2 weeks with surgery on the 4th. No one asked, not even my principal and assistant principals. My doctor wrote a note on plain letterhead versus the Weight Loss Surgery Center letterhead, by my request. I didn't need to complete FMLA since it was only 2 weeks. I just used my leave.

While I was out, several people texted and emailed with well wishes and asking if they could do anything. When I returned, a few people asked what I had done. I told them that I had a hiatal hernia repaired, which was true. They were mainly glad that I was back and ok. I was really weak that first week back. The first day I overdid it and stayed home the next day. My principal was very supportive and told me I should never have pushed myself so soon. But he's respected my privacy.

It's no one's business IMO.