Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allie Alii it is so good to hear you are feeling better. Best of luck to you.

Hmm,I am definitely doing this- but as to fears- I have zillions:-

Here's a few

1)I too am self-pay and I also have the "will I mess it up after spending so much hard-earned moolah" fears. I am still saving and will be sleeved in +/- 5 months so a long way out, but these things are on my mind.

2)I am also in an area of the world where there is zero pre or after-care, and pretty much all of that kind of care will be me reading up on here and working out my own plan. I'm nervous that I won't know what I'm doing! I've met up with a couple of ladies who have formed a kind of support group, so that will help but it is still scary.

3) I am completely on my own for this surgery, a single gal with no family where I live and all of my friends will be away on vacation. Some friends and family know my plan but none can be with me for surgery or after to help look after me. It does work in my favour in that not everyone needs to know as I will need to keep it pretty discreet at work though. I'm quite an independent sort, but this is a biggie to do on my own!

4) Complications, leaks, not-so-good recovery issues. Will I be one of these? aaargh!

Does everyone freak out with this one?

5) I'm a big -girl's blouse with pain and here the "big gun" pain meds are illegal so will the milder legal pain meds be enough? Or will I be a gibbering wreck from pain?

:unsure:

Hi, With a sleeve you really do not hat "dumping syndrome" The swallowing is because they are not taking tiny baby bites and chewing is 20 to 30 times so it is like a liquid before they swallow. The was the hardest thing I had to relearn. For your entire life you have shoveled the food in your mouth chewed it about two times and swallowed. That will have to change. It doesn't stay stuck for a long time. Just put your fork down for a few minutes and you will feel the food going down. The next bite, chew and chew and chew.

Heartburn or acid reflux can be controlled really easy. Nexium DID NOT work that well for me, so I use Prilosec 2 times a day and I have no problems. So I hear all the things you are saying, but there are some pretty easy fixes to the things that scare you.

I am always here if you have any questions. Good luck on your surgery and you will do just fine.

Hugs,

Suzanne

:D Suzanne, Thank you for your response! I will follow your direction very carefully, I remember my dietician did mention the chewing 20x's I just didn't remember that this might avoid the dumping issue. The heartburn thing I am actually used to I have had it for years and also use the Prilosec which works well, I have also heard that milk of magnesia helps very well.

I just might take you up in the future for further questions :rolleyes: Again Thank You!

Blessings to you....

43 yrs

5'4"

250lbs

Goal Weight: 135lbs

I love your post, it was so uplifting! Personally, I'm not afraid of surgery or even the changes that will come after it. I am, however, terrified that I will fail and that I will have put myself into an economic hole for several years for nothing. I make decent money and I have a good, if not extravagent, life. Luckily insurance does cover part of my surgery, but what I will owe will take several years for me to pay off. This surgery is getting my savings that would have gone to buying a house.

Yet...it's worth it. I'm worth it. Since I'm so scared of 'wasteing' all this money, I'm using those feelings instead of allowing them to use me. I'm trying to be proactive now in pre-op, to better prepare myself for life after surgery. The number of books, blogs, and websites I've read are a bit shocking. I'm really glad that I came across this blog, as it reiterates that we can rock our sleeves and keep the weight off! Thank you!

Hi,

This will NEVER be a waste of your money. It will require work and effort on your part. It is NOT a miracle cure and you have tomake good food choices, which because so much easier since you have the restriction of a much smaller stomach. Adding exercise really does help you physically and mentally too.

If you are going to owe quite a bit after, have you considered going to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. He is one of the top weight loss doctors in the world and that is who I went to. His fee is $8,750 for the surgery and the say in the hospital and that includes everthing but your air fare to San Diego where they pick you up at. If you have any question about him, I highly recommend him and I am open to answer any questions you have about surgery and what will happen after the surgery.

I will admit that I used to think people were crazy going outside of the US to have medical things done. I learned from my own experience that the care is received was 100 times better than anything I ever got in the US. His hospital has less infection rate that any US hospital too. There is a team of highly skilled doctor and nurses.

I just want you to know that you are going to be successful. I had all the very same doubts as you. What if I was the "one" person that this surgery did not work on. LOL if you follow what they tell you, it will work and you will be successful and you WILL keep it off forever.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I am always here any time you want to talk or voice the things you are scared about. I want you to be successful.

Allie Alii it is so good to hear you are feeling better. Best of luck to you.

Hmm,I am definitely doing this- but as to fears- I have zillions:-

Here's a few

1)I too am self-pay and I also have the "will I mess it up after spending so much hard-earned moolah" fears. I am still saving and will be sleeved in +/- 5 months so a long way out, but these things are on my mind.

2)I am also in an area of the world where there is zero pre or after-care, and pretty much all of that kind of care will be me reading up on here and working out my own plan. I'm nervous that I won't know what I'm doing! I've met up with a couple of ladies who have formed a kind of support group, so that will help but it is still scary.

3) I am completely on my own for this surgery, a single gal with no family where I live and all of my friends will be away on vacation. Some friends and family know my plan but none can be with me for surgery or after to help look after me. It does work in my favor in that not everyone needs to know as I will need to keep it pretty discreet at work though. I'm quite an independent sort, but this is a biggie to do on my own!

4) Complications, leaks, not-so-good recovery issues. Will I be one of these? aaargh!

Does everyone freak out with this one?

5) I'm a big -girl's blouse with pain and here the "big gun" pain meds are illegal so will the milder legal pain meds be enough? Or will I be a gibbering wreck from pain?

:unsure:

Hi,

I am not sure where you are going to have your surgery. No, you will not fail at this--we all think this and that is a normal feeling and statement. Just follow the rules they give you. You can't imagine what it will be like to NOT feel hunger. After the WLS you eat because you need to eat. There will no longer be a feelings of hunger--I know that is a strange thought but a true one. You will have to deal with what we call "head hunger." The "old thinking brain" has been in charge for your entire life. NOW YOU have to be in charge I will send you something I wrote about a few things and they should help you quite a bit.

You honestly should not require little of any after care. I had complete blood panels run because I felt pretty weak and I found out that my potassium level was low, they gave me medication for it and that resolved that issue.

If you have a Highly Qualified Doctor for a surgeon you should never have to think about or worry about a leak. I had Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico and he is one of the top Weight Loss Surgeons in the world. So I knew this going into my surgery and had NO worries about any kind of a leak.

I had NO pain when I got home. I went shopping 3 days after I got home for groceries. They sent pain meds home with me, but I did not need any. I think you will do fine. The first month after the surgery will be the hardest month that you will ever have to do. It is only for 30 days and you can do this--it isn't a lifetime. I am always here if you need help or have any questions.

Here are the things that I wrote about and you might find them useful.

Sorry if I sent you too much information, but you might find this helpful.

Print them out so that you can read them later.

Hugs,

Suzanne

***********************************************************************************

Volume 1

I decided that I would make a list of things for new people who are thinking about having WLS that might be helpful to them. This is long so please PRINT THIS OUT TO READ if you don’t want to read it all at one time.

1. First thing is to start asking people on the board you are on all kinds of questions—make of list of things you want to ask and keep coming back and ask more questions as time goes on. The more questions that ask the more you educate yourself about WLS and the process and what doctor they liked. Don’t rely on just one source of information. It is really normal to have all kind of feeling and emotions when trying to decide if you want to have Weight Loss Surgery. I must have talked myself in and out of doing this at least 50 times during my 6 months of research. My only regret is that I didn't’t do it sooner. This is a big step. But if diet and exercise worked for us then we still wouldn't’t be fat and would have lost the weight a long time ago and never regained it. It takes a lot of courage to have Weight Loss Surgery. I am very proud of you for looking into this. Don’t give any more days of your life being overweight, and your body hurting along with being unhealthy. WLS really is your answer.

1. How do you select your surgeon? First of all this is NOT a time to price shop for the cheapest doctor to do your WLS—that is just the wrong way to go at this. There are a lot of doctors who advertise on the Internet doing sleeve surgery for a lot less than some other doctors. I found one posting from a person who had the following concerns after having surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. (a) They put NO name band on her to be able to ID her when giving medications or anything else. (B) NO one asked if she had any allergies to foods or medications—thank goodness this person didn't’t have any. (B) The lab did NOT label tubes of blood with the person’s name on it—very dangerous. © Day after surgery they gave this person ice chips, tea and apple juice. The next day (day 2) they gave this person NOTHING so this person asked why and the nurse said this person wasn't’t allowed to eat anything. Well, this person then said I had Clear liquids the day before and they wanted to know WHO gave it to this person?? (d) This person was told that they would get a copy of the operative report on their discharge to take home with them—This person has not received it yet and that was about 2 weeks ago. So make sure have positive feedback about the Surgeon and Staff and Hospital that you choose. My choice after 6 months of research was Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. What I can tell you in my opinion is that he is the very best you will ever find to do your surgery. I can only speak about my experience and my research that I did before I made him my choice for a surgeon.

1. Pack lightly for your WLS. So many of us have gone to Mexico, so you want a small suitcase with wheels, a laptop & a cell phone. The clothing that you wear to Mexico are the same ones you can wear home—slip on shoes work great too. Make sure that the clothing is loose fitting. Something just comfortable for your ride home. While in Mexico—that is if you go to Mexico for WLS make sure you take GAS-X. They have nothing in Mexico that they give your for gas, and the use gas in your abdominal area during surgery. It is painful after the surgery, so GAS-X STRIPS are easy to use by just placing them on your tongue. Take a couple of boxes with you—you will be glad you did. If you are going to use a credit card make sure you tell your credit card company and your Bank if you use your debit card or credit card. Sometimes if you DO NOT let these companies know you are outside of the US they block your charges. Use a credit card or debit card vs cash it is much easier to use. Take small amounts of cash for tips—I took $45.00 in 1’s for tip money for various things. If you go to any hospital anywhere leave ALL jewelry at home –just a watch and no rings or other jewelry. I never had any problems at all leaving my purse and computer& cell phone in my room while I was in surgery, but they recommend that you leave all jewelry at home. If you are a lady please remove all nail polish—they need it removed to see your nail beds during surgery.

1. The first month you do after surgery is the HARDEST month you will ever have to do. You do 10 days of nothing but Clear Liquids to start with—that means you have to be able to see through the liquid. Do not panic if you can not get the Protein they want you to have the 1st 10 days—I couldn't’t find anything I liked that was clear during the 1st 10 days. They want you to try to drink 64 oz each day, and I don’t think I could ever get that much Water drank—just do the best you can. Your new stomach has just had major surgery and it is swollen and will only hold something about the size of your thumb. The next 10 days gets much better—you are now on creamy liquids for these 10 days. You can now have some creamy Soups, yogurt, and pudding—sugar free and find a Protein Drink that you like. For me it is Premier Protein Drink and I get mine at costco. When looking for a Protein Drink, make sure they are low in calories, high in Protein—Premier has 30 grams of Protein in each drink box and make sure you have low carbs too. I know there are a lot of other Protein drinks out there that people like. When it comes to carbs I tried to keep mine at no more than 20 carbs per day. Ask others what kind of Protein Drinks they liked and where they get them. The last 10 days are mushy foods. So this is a bit of a challenge. How many foods can I make mushy? I even considered using some baby foods. Start thinking about what will work as mushy foods for you.

1. Starting the 2nd month is quite an adventure. You can eat regular food. Here is where the relearning process takes place. You now will take tiny BABY BITES of food and chew each bit about 30 times or until it is like a liquid. From here on out you will need to take small bites of food and chew and chew and chew. I found out that chicken and fish were a lot easier to chew up. I don’t eat much red meat—your tastes will change and things you didn’t like a lot might taste good and something that you used to love don’t taste that great anymore. Keep track of what you are eating and keep your calories at about 800 calories per day and no more than 20 carbs per day—whole grain carbs are the best to have—NO white or refined carbs. I highly suggest that you keep track by writing them down or using some of the Internet sites that offers you this. I suggest this site it works great there are other sites to use this is just a suggestion. http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/ It really is good to write down and track everything you put in your mouth to start with—that is how you know that you have not had more than 800 calories per day.

1. I want you to understand weight loss surgery is just a tool. The fat does not just melt off of you—they is NO miracle cure. Now you have to put a lot of effort into eating healthy and starting to exercise. Everyone has some kind of exercise that works for them. I love walking and try to walk about 5 days a week.

1. For many of us we started to lose some of our hair 3 or 4 months after having WLS. I would find a lot of hair in the shower after washing my hair. That is pretty normal for a lot of us—this does not happen to everyone. There is no magical cure for hair loss—some people use different shampoo’s or take Biotin. It happens and you live with it. YES, it will grow back. For me I had pencil straight hair and mine grew back natural curly and I love it now. I already had thin hair so for me, I got some cute wigs and wore them for about 9 months until my hair looked a lot better. It was worth the Hair loss to lose 105 pounds.

1. Because we eat a lot of protein we suffer from Constipation. You need to have at least 70 grams of protein EACH day. So I mix my protein drink each morning with Miralax. It is NOT habit forming and is tasteless and it is just a good way to start off the day. I put the protein and a cap full of Miralax in the blender with about 5 small ice cubes and that is my Breakfast. 3 years later I still have this for Breakfast and nothing else, it just works for me.

1. You may have periods where you have what we call STALLS. You may be doing everything right and eating and exercising and you have NO weight loss for a week or more. This is normal—mine lasted 9 days. Don’t panic the weight loss will start up again, just keep doing what you are doing.

1. Our heads play games with us sometimes it is ugly what our brain tried to convince us of—We call these “Head Games” and they really are tough times to work though, but you can do it. Your head is still thinking with your old brain and way of thinking that you have been doing for most of your life. You now are eating VERY small amount of food, but your head is used to you eating LARGE amounts of food and that is what your brain wants—so it tries to tell you the you should be eating more—NOT true at all. So you need to have a talk with yourself. Do I just WAN T to eat or do I really NEED to eat?

1. You are not on a diet, but you are making a LIFESTYLE change and that is good because you can do this for the rest of your life. You will NEVER be able to eat like you used to. That is good because that is how we got fat. You will morn the loss of food—you will look around and see others inhaling all this food and you think to yourself—I used to eat like that. You will notice how fast people eat and inhale their food and talk and hardly chew what they are eating. That is pretty normal feeling to have—because you are now eating such small amounts of food and chewing and chewing. You will never be able to guzzle a bottle of Water again—that is OK too. These are all good things. In time you will look at all the food people are eating and thinking to yourself oh my gosh I could never eat that much again—it is way too much food.

1. When you have issues or problems come back to the board and ask others who have already done this. We are here to help and support you.

1. Give or exchange all your fat clothes away. You will never need them again after they become too big for you. This weight loss is something you will be able to maintain for the rest of your life. You have earned the right to have new clothes.

1. Make sure you have the VERY best doctor that has had a lot of experience with sleeve surgery and check his success rates out. Check the doctor for HIGH patient reviews from the people who have gone to him or her. I can NOT STRESSS this enough. Make sure that your surgery is being done in a hospital NOT a Clinic. One clue that it is a clinic is if they send you to a hotel room to recover—that is why they cost less, this is also dangerous too. YOU are worth the extra money that it cost to have this WLS in a Hospital and by the best Doctor you can have. You want to have a happy and GREAT life and having the RIGHT Doctor and Hospital are the key to this.

Sorry if this is long, but it is intended to have as a reference and answer a lot of your questions that you might have. For some of you, you are very lucky because your health insurance is now starting to pay for Weight Loss Surgery. For many of this, we did not have your luck, so we are self pay patients. There are companies that loan money for this surgery—be aware that their interest rate is high. Once you pick your doctor ask them about these companies that give loans for surgery if you are a self pay patient.

You know we never think twice about making car payments. If you have to borrow the money for this surgery just look at this as “body payment.” It will be the best money you have ever borrowed. Please PRINT this out to read later. If you have any questions for me please feel free to contact me. I had surgery almost 3 years ago, so I do have quite a bit of experience. I really am here to help you along your journey. It took me 14 months to lose this weight and I was 63 when I had the surgery, so it is NEVER too late in life to do this.

************************************************************************************

Volume 2

Here are some more things I want you to know about if you are thinking about having WLS and you are having the “Sleeve.”

1. We have talked a little or a lot about “slimming or Fleming” In case you missed it, when you first start eating regular food you have to re-learn how to eat again and chew. With your new stomach you will need to take small tiny bites and chew until the food in your mouth is almost liquid like. This is nothing like what you had been doing your entire life. In the past you eat and talk and put big bite in your mouth along with a few chews and then swallowing—this will NO LONGER WORK FOR YOU. This is a very difficult thing to change. So with your new stomach and just having surgery you may experience slimming or Fleming. First you will feel like the food is stuck, then it comes back up in a clear liquid –your saliva. It isn’t vomit, so that is why it is called slimming or Fleming. It’s a wakeup call to slow down you eating and chew, and chew and chew some more. Just go to the bathroom or have a napkin ready for the slimming or Fleming if you are eating out. If you try to overeat—which is bad you may experience this too sometimes. For me it was always about not chewing enough.

1. What are some signs that you are full? At first I wasn’t sure, but sometimes I just got tired of all the chewing, so I stopped eating. I now get the hiccups or my noise will start to run when I am full. I know that other people have said they experienced this too.

1. It does take some time to retain yourself on how to eating and I know that the first month it is such a process just trying to get all the food in that you need to get in because of your new restrictions. In time it does get a lot easier. Some people actually mourn the loss of food, because you will NEVER EAT the quantity of food that we used to eat---YEAH that is how we are going to lose the fat and maintain that goal weight that we want to have for the rest of our lives.

1. If you think you are hungry and you are positive that you are having physical
    symptoms of hunger this is YOUR OLD thinking brain playing those tricks we have talked about. You now have to start learning to educate this OLD brain into being your NEW thinking brain. Ask yourself do you just "want to eat" or do you really "need to eat" because it has been 3 or 4 hours since you have eaten anything. It is amazing what our brains can and will do to sabotage our way of thinking. You may be challenged by this OLD brains way of thinking for many years. For me I just have to have some self-talks with myself. We have an addiction to food. There is no way around avoiding food, so we need to find the set of skills that will allow us to change our lifestyle. I eat to live, I NO LONGER live to eat! Food is not my main focus in life.

1. I have seen so many times where people are going along and doing great with their weight loss. Then all of a sudden they are NOT losing anything—they panic—I did when it happened to me. We call these “Stalls.” We have stalled and are not losing anything. Most of the time you are eating all the same and correct things that you have in the past when you were losing weight. Our body just does this naturally--stalls. Mine lasted 9 days one time. This is really normal. I have a few suggestions. Use this site or something like it to track everything you are putting in your mouth. http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/ You might be surprised at what you are eating—that is why I say track it. Remember keep your total calories at 800 per day—if you exercise then you can eat more. This site will help you figure that out how much more you can it by what kind of exercise you did. You also need to make sure that you are not eating more than 20 carbs per day. No white or refined carbs. They should ONLY be whole grain carbs—not whole wheat, BUT Whole Grain carbs—do the best you can when it comes to carbs. If you are having problems with the weight loss you can kick up the amount of exercise you are doing too. The weight loss will start back up again, so don’t panic.

1. We all stumble and fall along the way, don’t beat yourself up over it. Move on and have a better day the next day.

1. Be aware that your friends and family may not be supportive of you having WLS. For your family, first they really may NOT understand it and they are scared for you. This is pretty normal. You have been on the Internet, and been educating yourself and doing a lot of reading—you know much more than they do about weight loss surgery and your choice is the sleeve. They have only heard the horror stories that the media puts out there or one of their uneducated family or friends have told them. Your friends are scared they may lose you as a friend because you are going to lose the weight and they will remain fat—yes I call it fat. I know there are a lot of politically correct terms to use, but if I can say I was fat you will one day too. Some of your friends will be jealous. My suggestion is that you can try to educate them some, but take your time and effort right now and use it for yourself. After you have had WLS and they see you are becoming healthy and you are alive and well they may come around. I want you to put yourself FIRST, for the very first time. If they are truly your friends they will be there when you are skinny.

1. The first month will be the hardest month you will have to do. You are changing everything about how you eat. I want you to keep saying to yourself that it is ONLY 30 days and I can do ANYTHING for 30 days. Once you start the 2nd month and can have regular food, it gets easier.

1. What do you do about getting smaller clothes? One of my adventures used to be to go to Resale clothing places and sell or trade my larger clothing to them, and then finding some smaller sizes. Just buy what you need to get by for a while until you need a smaller size. It was like a treasure hunt or an adventure for me. I found some places like Goodwill that had brand name label NEW clothing that the local stores gave them. I found some great deals at these places. So consider doing something like this or getting together with some of your friends and trading clothing. I also donated a lot of mine for a tax deduction to nonprofit organizations that give tax receipts—it is really great when it is tax time rolls around and I had all these deductions. I would make a list of everything I was going to donate and how much weight I had lost. I kept that all together in case the IRS asked why I gave away 20 some dress and 10 pair of pants, and 30 tops!

1. Make sure that you go see your Primary Care Doctor when you have had WLS if you have gone outside of the US for your surgery. I went to see my PCP before I went to let her know what I was doing—I wanted a doctor who would support me in my efforts. I had to do a bit of education and after she had time to read all of the information I left her, she was behind me all the way. She said come back in to see her after being home for 2 weeks and she would check me over and run a blood panel to see how I was doing. She did this every month for a while and started taking me of meds that I no longer needed. I did need to start taking potassium—mine was low after having WLS and I knew this when I left Dr. Aceves—they had run a blood panel after I had my “Sleeve surgery.” I loved the fact that my PCP took me off 4 of my other medications within 3months of me having WLS.

1. Exercise is important for you in a lot of ways. Walking and swimming are the ones that work best for me. I know that there have been a few people who said they did nothing. Walking helped me lose a little faster and was good cardio too. I try to walk at least 4 or 5 times a week. When I can I try to swim on the days I don’t walk. I know at first it is difficult to start to exercise, but walk around your home then, down the block a little. When the weather is bad—I live in Oregon and we have a lot of rain, we walk inside the Mall during those times. They open up the Mall at 6:00 am where I live, so you can start early. Buy a used treadmill and see if you like walking on it.

My last words of wisdom are the following

1. Saying yes means you will do something new, meet someone new most likely and make a difference in your life.
  2. Be true to yourself. It is you, your authentic self, the one you were in the first grade, before you leaned to massage your personality into a form that would suit others.
  3. Sometimes it is hard to hear the message because of all the external voices and they are so loud.
  4. Voices that are loud are always meant to bully. DO NOT BE BULLIED.
  5. So carry your courage in an easily accessible place. Be your OWN authentic person when it comes to Weight Loss Surgery. This is ALL about you and NO one else.
  6. Last you don’t need the approval of the Bully. You know what is right for you, follow your heart and go for it.

I am always here if you want to ask me more questions, or I didn’t cover something that you are thinking about.I read my E-mail daily.

I know it is a BIG step to take and there are a lot of things to think about, you can and will be success.

Wow this is a lot of great information!!! You are awesum!!!!!

having another leak.

Suzanne....First of all you are an inspiration!!!

Secondly, my biggest fear is that this won't work. I have already failed at the band....well technically I guess it failed me!! I was banded in 2008 and lost 50 lbs which I guess is deemed a success because it was 50%. However, it twisted and basically cut off my stomach, I couldn't even swallow Water. So in Dec 2010 it came out. I thought I could at least maintain my loss...but nope! Here it is a year later and I have regained it all!!!

So here I am going through the process to get a sleeve...and I'm thinking this is my second WLS, what if this doesn't work, or if I have severe complications, or if...if...if. Reality is....fear or no fear, I am doing this. For me, for my health, for my new husband (who married me AFTER I regained the weight...love him!), for my kids. And reading everyone success stories just makes me more sure I'm making the right choice.....wish I would have had the option 4 years ago!!!

Now, I'm just praying everything goes smoothly!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Vicki

Okay, so I am getting all nervous again. :unsure: . I guess I'm up and down like a yo yo...but the time is nearing. Suzanne, thank you for responding and I will definitely be reaching out. 17 days and counting....wow time is flying.

Hi,

I will be hear for you. It is very normal to have feeling and emotions all over the place. I have been there and had all the same ones you are having.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Suzanne....First of all you are an inspiration!!!

Secondly, my biggest fear is that this won't work. I have already failed at the band....well technically I guess it failed me!! I was banded in 2008 and lost 50 lbs which I guess is deemed a success because it was 50%. However, it twisted and basically cut off my stomach, I couldn't even swallow Water. So in Dec 2010 it came out. I thought I could at least maintain my loss...but nope! Here it is a year later and I have regained it all!!!

So here I am going through the process to get a sleeve...and I'm thinking this is my second WLS, what if this doesn't work, or if I have severe complications, or if...if...if. Reality is....fear or no fear, I am doing this. For me, for my health, for my new husband (who married me AFTER I regained the weight...love him!), for my kids. And reading everyone success stories just makes me more sure I'm making the right choice.....wish I would have had the option 4 years ago!!!

Now, I'm just praying everything goes smoothly!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

You are NOT going to fail at this WLS. In fact your are going to be very successful. I can understand how you must feel. I think you said it best. The Lapband failed you.

What you are about to have will change your entire life and it will last for the rest of your life. It will be sooooooo much easier to live with the sleeve.

I am always out here if you have any questions or just want to talk. Thanks so much for you sweet word. I am a regular person just like you are.

Hugs,

Suzanne

having another leak.

Hi, I am sorry you had a leak. For me I had a Highly Skilled Doctor and knew I was going to do just fine and have NO leaks. I had Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico do my WLS Sleeve surgery.

Who is your doctor? I wished you great success in your adventure of changing your life.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Wow this is a lot of great information!!! You are awesum!!!!!

Hi, I am always willing to share my experience and for new people starting out this is usually good and helpful information. I am glad you liked it. I have more if you ever need anything.

Hugs,'

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne for your looooonnnnngggg post! :D

I have done alot of research and watched this site and read these stories for some time before I actually joined in. I picked up some new items from your post and am grateful for that.

I am encouraged by you and your age. Since I am 50, have diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea I am preparing myself that it may take me a little longer to heal then it would have 10 years ago, but that if I am patient and follow my doctor's orders to the T it will be a success.

I am very confident in my surgeon and even more so after reading your post because nearly every point you made he or his staff have covered with me.

My process moved alot quicker then even I expected it to. I went to my seminar on January 16 and started my Pre-Op diet on February 24 and my surgery date is March 5. I have excellent insurance who did not require me to jump through hoops but they do require I pay a portion of the hosptial's fees for the surgery. So even today I was struggling with should I put my portion of the surgery cost on a credit card or postpone my surgery until I had the cash to cover it. So one of the best things you said (for me anyways) was....."You know we never think twice about making car payments. If you have to borrow the money for this surgery just look at this as “body payment.” That is so true, this is an investment in the rest of my life and therefore putting my portion on my credit card is so worth it!! Only the Lord knows how many dinners I have paid for with a credit card doing the social thing! :rolleyes:

God bless you and I hope that we become friends during our journeys!

Hi Suzannesh, thanks so much for your very informative and helpful post. It is so very much appreciated. I will be having surgery in Abu Dhabi. The Doctor I am focusing on at the moment has a stellar reputation here although pre and post op care is extremely minimal compared to the US.

I will certainly be bugging you further with questions if thats okay.

You are an inspiration- many thanks!

I'm scared of complications keeping me from graduating. I'm having this done during my spring break. I'm in my final semester of nursing school and it should have been done last year, but I was having a lot of issues with my previous surgeon that I had to switch. So that is my biggest fear, not the surgery itself. I'm looking forward to it actually :wub: just not the unknown, as Suzannesh stated.

Hi,

I can tell you not to worry, but you are still going to worry. You will not have any complications. I am so excited for you and know that you are going to have great success.

Hugs,

Suzanne

:D Suzanne, Thank you for your response! I will follow your direction very carefully, I remember my dietician did mention the chewing 20x's I just didn't remember that this might avoid the dumping issue. The heartburn thing I am actually used to I have had it for years and also use the Prilosec which works well, I have also heard that milk of magnesia helps very well.

I just might take you up in the future for further questions :rolleyes: Again Thank You!

Blessings to you....

43 yrs

5'4"

250lbs

Goal Weight: 135lbs

Hi,

Not to worry, I am always here and check my E-mails 2 and 3 times a day. Prilosec is what I also take. I take it 2 times a day and it resolves any acid reflux that I have. I also try not to eat much anytime close to going to bed and that is helpful.

It is a relearning and retraining of our brain. Then all of a sudden our new stomach and brain actually start working together. You are going to be just fine and very successful.

Hugs,

Suzanne