Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I had my surgery on 1/23/12 and I still can't get the hang of learning to eat slow. I finish a couple of teaspoons in about 10 minutes. No matter how I try to stretch it out, I can't seem to eat slower than that. I chew alot, I put down my utensil between bites. I try to wait between bites..... nothing helps and I'm getting pain from eating fast.

Any advice or hints?

Right after my surgery I would keep a book or magazine close by - I would take a bite, read a page, etc. I was a really fast eater too so it's been hard for me to adapt!

I take a bite and then I go do something, come back and take another bite. I was told by our surgeon to take 10 minutes between each bite. I can't do it, but I try my best. ;)

I play word games on my phone a lot while I'm eating. Or, I post here. Take a bite, read a post or thread. Take a bite and chew well while writing down my own post. I still eat faster than my surgeon recommends, but I'm doing what I can. If I'm out with friends, I try to time my bites to take 1 bite to every 3 or 4 of theirs. Then I chew slowly and nod my head while listening to their conversation. Bonus, my friends feel that I'm more attentive to them because I'm listening better than I ever did! :)

Wow these are all great tips! Thanks family, I was wondering how to slow my bites as well and this helped!

I'm having a hard time with this as well. Do we have to eat like this forever or is it yet another phase we must go through?

I don't know about others, but I still eat too fast and pay with pain. I do wish I was a faster learner!! LOL

I don't know about others, but I still eat too fast and pay with pain. I do wish I was a faster learner!! LOL

Oblviosly your not doing to bad. Your stats are awesome.

Congrats on hitting goal, less a lb. Probably get there by the time you read this..lol.

What an inspiration you are. :)

I pay dearly too. I think I might need to stick a snack in between times. I don't notice hunger like I used to so sometimes I go too long and then rush my food down. I can eat just about anything if I take time to chew and don't eat through my full signs (soundless burp, hiccup, sigh, picking at food, etc.)

I used a a clock with a second hand or a timer to measure time between bites and I read while I ate. At first I used a small demitasse spoon to make sure I didn't eat too much per bite.

Now that I am a few months out, I eat at my own pace without an issue.

Lynda

yes, this is causing me some trouble too. half the time I'm not sure if its because I'm hungry or if I'm just trying to get the eating done since it's not nearly as fun any more! My half an english muffin and almond butter is sitting not so nicely right now...

I take a bite and then I go do something, come back and take another bite. I was told by our surgeon to take 10 minutes between each bite. I can't do it, but I try my best. :wink1:

wow 10 minutes between bites!!!!! oh my. that's a long time.

wow 10 minutes between bites!!!!! oh my. that's a long time.

Agreed. Excessive and not real world applicable. You'd have digested the first bit by the time you got to the last bit. I only have 30 minutes for lunch anyway.

When you have 30 mins to eat for lunch you tend to rush...

There are some great ideas here -- my husband habe turned into quite the nag with "eat slower" and "take small bites, will you?" He's getting on my last nerve with it but, he's right.

I spent too many years rushing through lunch as an insurance professional and missing Breakfast so that I could catch my bus for work. Those days are over.

I was sl;eeved 01/17/12 and I've dropped 51 lbs from highest weight last summer and, I swear, I'm eating as slowly as I can! I can't read between bites -- long term diabetes and visual complications have left me legally blind so I use my sighted husband's eyes for the important stuff. He wouldn't have the patience to read me a page or so between bites.

My point, I really do try to eat slowly each day but I'm also concerning myself with the short-acting insulin I just injected.

Everyone has their reason(s) for their behavior, I just refuse to be trapped by my past eating mistakes and doing my best each day to stay with the program as laid out by my exercise physiologist, nutritionist, surgeon and endocrinologist.