Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post Op And My Body Is Angry!

I seriously thought this surgery would be no big deal for me, I am young and a fighter. However, I was WRONG. I feel like I have gotten the crap kicked out of me! I was told I wasn't breathing properly in the hospital and while recovering the nurses were literally yelling at me to breath. I tested negative for sleep apnea but I think the test was wrong. I am afraid to fall asleep now because I will quit breathing :(, also my lungs hurt. My stomach hurts and so does my esophagus, everytime I sip I have a huge gas/growl that comes up, and it isn't a burp it just is angry. I am not feeling nauseous, just sick and HUNGRY.

Have you guys gone through the same thing? I hope it gets better, I am almost regretting what I did.

I am 4 days out myself. I have the gas/growl/gurgling belly also. I was told this was normal and that you have to walk. It has helped. Yesterday I still felt really bad. But today, I felt pretty good. Did they give you any liquid pain meds. If not, ask if they could. It make a world of difference in recorvery. Walking will also help you heal a lot faster.

Did they give you a breathing incentive spirometer? I was not breathing as well as I did before the surgery also. I had to be on oxygen and stay an extra day but I am ok now. The spirometer will help clear your lungs. I hope this helps.

No liquid pain medications, just pill form of oxycodine. The pills feel like glass going down, worst feeling ever. They gave me this plastic thing with a tube to breath through, and I have but it hurts my lungs so bad. Thanks for responding, I hope my day 4 will be better.

Hang in there, Meredit. I'm 12 days post op and I can't believe how much better I feel today than I did those first few days. If you have the plastic puffer (as I call it), use it. It's so important to work out the deep part of your lungs. I know it hurts because your throat/lungs hurt and every time you inhale you're pushing down on all the sore parts of your abdomen. But believe that it really will help you in the long run. You don't want to develop pnemonia! Just keep following all the instructions and you will heal. I remember reading stuff like that that people posted to my story of recovery (pain! anxiety and emotions), and I can't believe that I feel like I'm on the other side of it and it's only been 12 days. You'll heal and your body will recover. Just keep the faith and baby yourself. You don't have to be Superwoman and heal overnight! hang in there...

I also had the breathing spirometer but I believe it is common they want you exercise your lungs so you don't get Fluid in your lungs which can lead to other complications, pneumonia, etc. It's to keep your lungs active. Use it as often as possible. It will only help. Get up an walk several times a day. Get things moving. This is MAJOR surgery that we undergo. It is not a walk in the park. As each day progresses, it gets better and better. During that time, at least for the first week or two though it doesn't seem like it will, but, please be assured it will.

I'm surprised they didn't give liquid pain med, ask for it! I took liquid pain med for about a week or less, but only to sleep. You will need to sleep sitting up or at an angle for the first week or two. Follow the instructions and heal. Your body needs time to repair, but get up and move around and walk as much as possible, get your fluids in, sip, sip, and sip some more. Most importantly guide your thoughts actions in a positive manner to heal.

We are all routing for you!

:( your feeling so sick..... It is a process but everyday gets a little better. Pretty soon you will feel alot better and see those lbs just melting away.... ;)

I felt the same way! i was in so much pain for the first five days that I was FREAKING out. however, by day six i was feeling much better. And now, I feel no pain. No wait, that's a lie, I feel some discomfort around my belly button when I wear jeans so I've been wearing sweatpants...lol! But I figure that will go soon. Feel better and know that it will get better. As far as pain management, I had to crush percocet with a little applesauce. And let me tell you, that helped me A LOT!

All I can suggest to get rid of the "angryness" is to walk, walk, walk.

Good luck!

Are you taking a PPI? Which is prilosec, nexium, etc. Your tummy is making alot of acid right now and it's rumbling. Your also gasey. Like circa said, walk, walk, walk, and more walking. Also helps with weight loss. ;)

If you are having trouble swallowing your pain medication pills you can cut them. Also you can take a little Jello with the pills and it makes your sleeve open a little more so that the pill slips in easier.

As I remember it through the chemical fog in recovery the nurses were "strongly encouraging" me to breathe as well. I am out about 3 weeks and my belly still growls a bit when I drink Water. I try to burp when it does that and in my mind at least it seems to help.

I am puzzled why they did not give you Lortab or some other liquid pain killer. It is quite a friend, no problem consuming.

The advice already given is very good. You may have tough times as I have but the sense of victory you recieve when buying new clothes makes it more than worth the struggle. You will notice many empowerments returning to you. If you were once slim it will be like going back in time without a Delorean ! :)

Rest, walk, rest, walk! Always sit straight up when drinking anything. Liquid pain medicine is a must for days 1-4. My doctor would have slapped me if I'd tried to swallow even the smallest pill whole. A lot of that grumbling (for me) was the gas pain, since pain meds and anesthia tend to cause Constipation. Plus, when they are working in there, they move organs around a little (the stomach is tucked behind/under the liver) and I was told sometimes the organs are trying to fall back into place by my RN. There is more room than we realize in there. Plus the extra CO2 gas they fill your belly with is still working it's way out.

Talk to your doc, get moving and realize it will get better. I'm on day 12 and even day 8 was a world of difference over day 1-4.

Sorry, bypassed the replies when I read what they gave you for pain - I would throw away the oxycodone right away and insist on something else - and whatever you do do not let anyone know you have any of that on you or in your home. It can cause breathing problems, too - and horrible Constipation.< /p>

Oxyco is extremely addictive and even if not some people will do anything to get it.

Was it a US doctor that prescribed that for you?

Beyond that, it seems that you have had some damage to your esophagus and you need to find out what. I recommend you find out if your anest. was who trached you and if not if they were there the whole time observing. Maybe see if an albuterol inhailor would help (if it does it lets you know if it inflammation). A white blood cell count could tell if you have a secondary infection that could be either the cause or partial cause of yor problem.

I had surgery once in the spring and it just happened to coincide with oak tree pollen - almost immediatelty I began to have trouble breathing and it took forever for them to realize that it was the trees outside my open window...

Good luck and keep us informed of what you find out.

Pain meds are so important those first few days call your doc and get liquid form or ask for melt a ways. My doc gave me Rybix it is a melt a way put it on the tongue and it melts like butter. I loved it no bad taste to it either, taste like mints.

liquid tylenol

i felt the same way, im surprised they gave u a pill though, the oxyco was annoying to me, doesnt stop pain just knocks u out....

ice chips for ur throat