Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Wish Someone Had Told Me....

I wish I would've known about the pain. I also read alot of 'minimal pain' posts.

I'm not a wuss or have a low threshold for pain, but it hurt alot more than I was expecting.

Other than that, I feel like I was pretty well informed by reading this message board as opposed to the one at obesity help.

No one ever had an answer or people would say "You should've had the Duodenal Switch." Good grief. :)

the pain meds dont really control the pain... they just make me feel out of it so that i dont notice the pain as much.... i rather be fully aware of whats going on around me if im going to be feeling the pain regardless. :(

Just remember - everyone is different. I was also very nervous about waking up with the tube down my throat. The doctor told me the decision would be made in the operating room. Sure enough I woke up with the tube down my throat. I begged them to take it out and they did. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I know I wouldn't have survived having it down my throat for 2 days!!

Regarding pain, I never took any pain meds after I got home. I did have a pain pump which I would recommned to anyone. It has been a week since I had surgery and I probably could have gone back to work today but am fortunate to be able to wait until Monday.

how much food i would be throwing away and no matter how hungry i am, food doesn't mentally satisfy me.. I see a food that look appetizing, eat a few bites, gets full and it was just okay. I love my sleeve so i have no regrets.

Just remember - everyone is different. I was also very nervous about waking up with the tube down my throat. The doctor told me the decision would be made in the operating room. Sure enough I woke up with the tube down my throat. I begged them to take it out and they did. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I know I wouldn't have survived having it down my throat for 2 days!!

Regarding pain, I never took any pain meds after I got home. I did have a pain pump which I would recommned to anyone. It has been a week since I had surgery and I probably could have gone back to work today but am fortunate to be able to wait until Monday.

I was beginning to think I was alone with the tube :huh: Did you have a very sore throat afterwards?

I wish smeone had told me the only way id know I am full after the first 2 weeks when the burping stops is when my nose starts to run...feel like I was put back together wrong or with a piece left out

I wish I would have known about the emotional and mental struggles. I actually never ate that much before surgery. I couldn't/didn't eat a whole pizza by myself or drink tons of soda. Did I eat the wrong things? Absolutely. Going from that to heavily limiting my food (especially my beloved carbs, may you rest in peace) was and still is hard.

I also wish I knew more about head hunger. I had preconceptions that this surgery was the "miracle solution" that would take all of my hunger and desire for all things bad for me away. It may have worked for some, but it didn't big time in my case.

I wish someone told me about how much vomiting just plain sucks right after surgery. I mean, it wasn't a picnic before, but heaving when you've just been cut open and it feels like someone drove a steamroller over your abs? That's not so fun.

I remember a nurse asked me if I regretted the surgery when I had to be readmitted due to complications. At the time I said yes, I did regret it. Right now? I can honestly say I don't know. I've lost almost 40 pounds since surgery, but *I* don't see the physical proof of it yet. Get back to me when I'm the newest citizen of Onederland. ;)

Mina

Wondering if the pain thing relates to method of surgery. Did those who had open surgery have the pain? The laparascopic method incisions itched like nuts but weren't painful at all.

Most stateside people attended abt 9 hrs of classes or seminars @ the surgery where your issues abt the magic of wls were thouroughly debunked. Even the surgeon said its not magic. That his part is easy and the hard part, after (mine) is hard. All the doctors said that. All the nurses said it, too. So I'm sorry for your disillusionment but wonder where/how you prepped for this.

Glad you're doing well now.

Wondering if the pain thing relates to method of surgery. Did those who had open surgery have the pain? The laparascopic method incisions itched like nuts but weren't painful at all.

I had mine laproscopically. My pain stemmed mostly from the internal stitches that my dr. did. He told me AFTER surgery that they would probably hurt for a few days. They did for about a week. The day after my 1 week follow up/wound check I woke up and the pain was 1000% better. Psychosomatic? Probably. LOL!

Mina Wondering if the pain thing relates to method of surgery. Did those who had open surgery have the pain? The laparascopic method incisions itched like nuts but weren't painful at all. Most stateside people attended abt 9 hrs of classes or seminars @ the surgery where your issues abt the magic of wls were thouroughly debunked. Even the surgeon said its not magic. That his part is easy and the hard part, after (mine) is hard. All the doctors said that. All the nurses said it, too. So I'm sorry for your disillusionment but wonder where/how you prepped for this. Glad you're doing well now.

I had mine laprascopically. I'm just saying it hurt to throw up right after surgery, because, after all, I did have major stomach surgery, so naturally it hurt to move that freshly cut stomach in a violent manner by throwing up. Now, it's fine. Only incision that hurt really was the big one that they took the stomach out of, but that's because the skin had to be stretched.

My surgeon and nurses didn't say that it was a magic solution, and that the hard part happened after we left the hospital. Coming on here, though, and seeing so many people say they had absolutely no hunger or desire for food made me think that maybe, just maybe it'd be the same for me. I wasn't one of the lucky ones, though. Not complaining about being "disillusioned," just stating what I read and heard.

Thanks for the well wishes. :)

I went to the doc today and I have an update as to why the ng tube is being used. I was told that it decompresses the stomach to help extract the gas and acids and minimizes vomiting. I must admit I did not have vomiting except when I woke up and found the tube gagging me because I was trying to throw it up out of me lol.

How emotionally engaging, draining, tumultuous and all those other words that describe an emotional rollercoaster... this journey can be!!! That's been my biggest surprise.. BUT, I don't regret a thing!!!

At least once a week I get emotional when discussing my upcoming VSG with my friend. I'm more nervous than scared but I'm sure that will change on the day of surgery. This really has been an emotional journey and I'm sure post surgery I'll have something that I would have wished for. I've read everything ad asked every question but I know there's something I've forgotten. I'll think of it after the fact :)

I had mine laprascopically. I'm just saying it hurt to throw up right after surgery, because, after all, I did have major stomach surgery, so naturally it hurt to move that freshly cut stomach in a violent manner by throwing up. Now, it's fine. Only incision that hurt really was the big one that they took the stomach out of, but that's because the skin had to be stretched.

My surgeon and nurses didn't say that it was a magic solution, and that the hard part happened after we left the hospital. Coming on here, though, and seeing so many people say they had absolutely no hunger or desire for food made me think that maybe, just maybe it'd be the same for me. I wasn't one of the lucky ones, though. Not complaining about being "disillusioned," just stating what I read and heard.

Thanks for the well wishes. :smile1:

I had lapro also,,and it was painful for me too..and I've had a csection, complete hysterectomy, a stomach tumor removed, gallbladder removed,,etc... I also hoped this to be my "miracle solution". After having complications,,I wasn't ready to say I have no regrets also..I can say I don't regret it now but I'm doing better each day. I don't think anything you said made you appear to be disillusioned..I think it all sounded very normal to me. And I think everyone's expectations are different and fair to each individual. Good luck hon...

No one has mentioned that the chewable vitamins take a toll on your teeth. My dentist had a complete hissy fit when i saw him at 6 months post op- he said calcium chews (I take 3 a day) are terrible for your teeth and the Flinstones I take 2 times a day are also terrible for my teeth. I would rather have dentures at 60 than die at 45 of obesity. But wish I had known.

Also, I wish I had know there was a possibility that I would be left with a tiny waist, tiny hips, tiny legs and teny tiny BOOBIES!- never heard anyone complain before hand...again a trade off I would have taken gladly but would have been nice to anticipate and not been shocked that apparently all the fatty tissue that make up these things would disappear. Am I the only one?