Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conversion After Stretched Lapband Pouch And Esophagus

I have had my 31/2 year old lapband removed a couple of months ago due to chronic reflux from stretching of the pouch.

I lost 140 pounds ( 70 kilos) during this time but was gaining due to the band being loosened over the last 12 months. Now after this and removal I have regained 40 pounds (20 kilos) and am so depressed. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday to discuss conversion to the VSG.

My concern is that I watched a youtube clip by an american doc who said that conversions on a lapband patient who has suffered from pouch dialation dont work for weight loss. He stated that weight loss is poor to nill because these patients have no sence of restriction because it was lost during the dialation of the lapband pouch and eosophigus* ( spelling). And so more calories are consumed by them.

This concerns me but I am also aware that doctors dont live with these changes so I want to ask if anyone has converted to the sleeve who has had a stretched lapband pouch and eosophigus and how are you travelling now... is your weightloss happening or satisfactory... do you feel restriction...did you or do you have any problems...was it worth it?

I was so happy and confident and now I have depression again and severe doubts.

Can anyone please help guide me

Thank you all so very much

Trish

When I talked to my doctor last week he said that because I have had my lapband for so long (over 7 years) my pouch probably have dilated some....so the 60-80% EWL with the sleeve I would fall closer to 60% for EWL because of that....

I asked a similar question last week....looking forward to everyone's responses

I don't think I can give any kind of definite answer on this. I had a lapband for 10 years and had pouch dialation. I suspect most long term bandsters have at least some degree of dialation. Surgeon warned me that the the stats for revisions are "all over the place" meaning some don't lose as well as others. Even so, they have many revision patients that have lost the 80-100% of their excess weight so I felt it was worth the gamble.

I am not very far out, but I have been losing weight okay - according to the nutritionalist I am on track in terms of %of EWL the same as a non revision patient, so "so far, so good". I am almost 2 months out and have lost 27% of my excess weight by the charts; I have lost 30% of what I want to lose to get to my personal goal. Considering I started with a 51 BMI, I think that is pretty good - as a percentage of a very large amount to lose.

BTW, I am losing weight much faster then I did with the band and I was 10 years younger then!!!

Do I get hungry? Yes, but it is not all the time and I am finding it reasonable to restrict quantities. I stil struggle with nightime "wanting to eat" but that seems like more a habit then having to do with real hunger. I guess time will tell how it goes for the long term.

I am curious to hear from others.

:biggrin: thank you both so very much for replying, this whole thing is doing my head in.

The sleeve seems to be working extremely well for you cowgirl and I am given a great deal of hope with your post. Did you have reflux with your band and if you did how is it now... have you noticed anyother dire side effects ( the band had plenty) that are worse than banding

I had pretty bad reflux when I had Fluid in my band, once it was emptied, it was more like minor reflux. I am only 2 months out from the sleeve, so probably can't give you an overall assessment yet, but, so far no major problems with the sleeve. I can eat pretty much anything (no problem with salad for instance) just in small quantities. I have had no reflux, but I am still on proselic as a prevention.

I think the main difference is I actually feel some degree of "satiety" with the sleeve, where as with the band I often still felt hungry even if the pouch was full. My stomach feels pretty normal, just alot smaller.

I have posts about my recovery - it was essentially pretty ordinary except I did feel very very very tired. The recovery was a little harder then the band surgery, but then again, I am older now too.

I was on 40 milligrams of Nexium twice a day with no fill in my band and still had costant horendous reflux... from the time I woke up after band removal to now which is 3 months later ( and 10 kilos heavier) I have had not one moment where it has even threatened to come back... not with coffee or chilli or high carbs.

I am so releived that it has gone and couldnt bare to think of it coming back like that... I dont think anyone likes waking up every 10 minutes at night choking on acid reflux which is drowning your lungs.

I am so grateful for your posts ...both of you... you have lifted my spirits a great deal and am again looking forward instead of wallowing in self pity and dispare.

:heart: :heart: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Trishah, I say, "Oh, pooh," to your doctor. I had a slight slip, pouch and esophageal dilation, with a BMI of 36, and I'm doing great. I can finally eat cooked egg, tuna, etc., without PBing. I love my sleeve.

So Bionic did you suffer with reflux, how is it now if you did?

I read your blog and I was most impressed with the Water verses hunger and also the cheese, crackers and smoked oysters...all are an issue for me.

Funny but I have never met anyone else who did the cheese, crackers and oyster thing much less enjoy it... thousands of miles and a whole lot of ocean and I have found a kindred spirit!

I had reflux because of the massive back-pressure from the band, bur no acid. I haven't had any with the sleeve. Kindred spirits, indeed. Yum!

Trishah: I was reading your post and it was dejavu.. My doc just said exactly what that youtube vid said about me ...

I've had my lapband for 10 years (during that time i've had a slip, a hiatal hernia, etc).. i've never successfully lost any weight with it unless i was too tight.. he sent me for an upperGI and i have esophagus dilation . and he said that if i got the sleeve or the RNY.. i'd have good loss for the first 6-9 months then (because of surgery swelling) but then i'd start using my esophagus like a stomach again and I wouldn't have restriction -- he actually talked me OUT of ANY revision...

I go back this Thursday to see the nurse.. i want to talk options.. i hear with an unfill i can fix my esophagus dilation . then maybe surgery will work?

Did you follow through with the revision? how are you a year later?

This thread is over a year old! I had pouch dialation. One doc diagnosed my band as slipped, another said my pouch was just hugely dialited so I don;t know.

I have done GREAT with the sleeve... My BMI is very close to normal, almost 25. I could lose more but I am one of those people that feel and look pretty good being on the heavier end - I am at my personal goal and exceeded surgeon's expectations. Check out my profile to see before and afters!

I should say that i worked with a nutritionalist how to get the maximum benefit of the sleeve. I did put effort into this - but it was much easier then losing weight on the band!

Donna, I am now a little over 12 months sleeved. Aaaaaaaand Im doing great, no reflux in fact no issues at all exept that the years with the band taught me quite well how to cheat the sleeve....an issue I fight.

However I have good restriction provided I eat the correct foods...eg: Protein first and avoid slider foods and carbs.

I dont have the prob of using my throat as a stomach and if I eat over my 1/2 cup of Protein based food I am very uncomfortable and learn very quickly to adhere to the feeling of having had enough.

Loss is slower after the band but thats ok for me and I am at my personal goal... lower than the docs but higher than medically suggested by a BMI and am very happy.

I can and at times do, eat the wrong foods and can gain weight if I do....nothing, not even bypass will change this fact but I have a very low (not entirely gone) hunger and my portion size is half a cup.

I have a 34 loose wrapped bougie with over sew which means ,what?... I dont know but its what I was told I had. My doc does not do a tight or small bougie on band revisions due to scaring and possible difficulties.

I have to say I am happy, as the years of abject misery I spent with the band not being able to eat have left me happy with this size 34 which gives me no pain or complaint at all.

There are no foods I can not eat at a slightly slower than normal rate and absolutely no reflux and no reflux medications needed.

Life is good and normal, no more stuck food or pain, no more embarrassing meals with friends eating sloppy food...no more anything that made me different from everyone else.... I am boringly, gloriously NORMAL!!

I would get a second opinion on the sleeve because I absolutely do not agree with your docs opinion and I have to say that all the other band to sleeve converts I have spoken too both short and long term are extremely happy.

By the way Cowgirl.... I checked your before and afters in your profile and you are right....you look bloody fantastic just as you are!

This thread is over a year old! I had pouch dialation. One doc diagnosed my band as slipped' date=' another said my pouch was just hugely dialited so I don;t know.

I have done GREAT with the sleeve... My BMI is very close to normal, almost 25. I could lose more but I am one of those people that feel and look pretty good being on the heavier end - I am at my personal goal and exceeded surgeon's expectations. Check out my profile to see before and afters!

I should say that i worked with a nutritionalist how to get the maximum benefit of the sleeve. I did put effort into this - but it was much easier then losing weight on the band![/quote']

Cowgirl I am so happy to read you have success after the band! I am starting to worry I am defective. Well me and my sleeve. Some days I can only eat a small portion like 3oz of Protein in a sitting and then other days I have a larger appetite and can eat more. I don't get it.

Also, I have been at the same weight for a month now. I am 4months out, have dropped 40lbs and the scale stays between 217-220. I feel like it will never move. I have been good with eating and working out and I can't budge. I've read that sleevers will lose the majority of their weight after 6months and at 40lbs or 220lbs total, it doesn't feel like success. I just feel like a failure.

Hi I just wanted goblet u know that my bariatric nurse did the conversion from the band to the sleeve and she loves it. She had issues with the band and had to have it removed. She regained a lot of her weight and she decided to do the sleeve. I talked to her a lot because these were the two.options I was looking into. She looks amazing.g. so I know it can be done successfully! Good luck.to.u!