Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recap: So Much Has Happened...

I joined the forum back in August of 2010 I think and when I joined I was very impressed with the wealth of information I got here. I became addicted to this forum. My initial plan was to have surgery by Dr. Almanza in Mexico, my surgery date was in October. Well, I did have surgery in October, but not VSG. In September I became very sick with diverticulitis to the point I could not work. I have not worked since September of 2010. I was hospitalized for a week in September and I underwent a colon resection surgery in October of 2010, had 20 inches of my large intestine removed. So obvs....my VSG with Almanza was cancelled. Per my surgeon, who did the colon resection in Florida where I lived, I could not look into VSG until January of 2011. :(

I haven't been in contact in this forum since then. Th main reason was because I had a horrible recuperation from my colon resection, pain wise. I was in pain all the time, my pain was all over my body. It crippled me, literally. I decided to move to Massachusetts with my boyfriend so I could take the time off to get better and to look into a Boston surgeon for future VSG (he was not keen on me going to get that done in Mexico). I moved to Mass in December from Florida. I healed beautifully from my colon surgery, but the pain all over my body persisted, awaking me at night (and I already had problems with my sleep). I ended up seeing a rheumatologist in January who did a bunch of tests and diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The medications I am on now are certainly helping, but I still have good days and bad days. In the meantime I had VSG on my mind and I found a surgery group at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton, MA, who apparently hold and excellence title in bariatric surgery. I have Harvard Pilgrim for insurance and thankfully it covers the VSG (my previous insurance in FL didn't, reason why I was going to Dr. Almanza). This group, before I could be granted my first appointment, made go through a 2 hour 'orientation' meeting on Jan 26. Yikes...that was a bit grueling, most of the info I already know, but I guess it is a necessary process. I went to the first appointment last week and the surgeon (Dr. Bloomenthal) said I may not be candidate for VSG because of GERD and an esophageal stricture, that depending on the results of some past scopes I've had I may be more of a candidate for RYGB. Yeah..say it ins't so. I doubt that would be the case, I'm definetly pushing the VSG. That day I spent 5 hours in his office, and met with a LSW for psych eval, a nutritionist who royally angered me because I have food allergies and she was not one to give me alternative options, a nurse and of course the surgeon. So far I'm supposed to attend 3 support groups (I've attended 2), I have an appointment March 1st with the surgeon again to 'review'....I was placed on a 1700 calorie diet (sucks) and I am expected to lose some weight, at least 8-10 lbs in a month. Yikes! The surgeon basically said the process is 3-6 months, sometimes longer...... waiting is so hard. I am so ready. I want my health back, I want to stop taking 8-10 pills twice a day because of multiple health conditions. You guys Im only 38. I have 4 kids and 2 step kids. I want to be able to keep up, and I want this done NOW!!...... Oh Lord give me patience!!!!

Is there anyone else in your area that you can consult with? Would you insurance pay for you to go to a surgeon in another state? If so, I'm sure this group could come up with some suggestions for you.

Wow, you have done so much already with your surgeon. Tell him that you really need to get this surgery done soon because of all your health issues. The bottom line is about money. If he thinks you might go elsewhere, he will speed up the process, unless it's a protocol, either way, let him know you are really wanting this surgery for your health and need to speed up the process. I know several individuals with the RnY and are doing just great. What ever it takes, just do it. Please let us know what's going on with you. ;)

Thank you ladies! Well I feel that the process is slow, but I know i'm in good hands. Just want to be on the other side already :)

Elracimo3,

Am so sorry to hear about your rough journey with the whole diverticulitis issue. You are young to have had so many problems with dicerticulitis and the fibromyalgia! Diverticulitis is usually a disease of us old people! Hope you are doing better now.

I wish I had some advise for you on how to speed up your surgery. It is often a slow process that you have to navigate to get to the reward (the surgery)!

As Dorrie suggested, I would speak with your surgeon and tell him how anxious you are to get your life back on track and improve your health, and that you see the surgery as a major tool to that end. Don't know if it will do any good, but worth a try!

In the mean time, keep posting. The bunch that frequents this web site are great to encourage people. Best of luck!

Kathy D (Alias Helen the Cat)

Elracimo,

I have just finished the orientation at Newton Wellesley and plan on going to the next 2 classes offered over the next two weeks. I hope to schedule my first appointment with the surgeon soon!

Is RYGP a gastric bi-pass? The reason I ask is that I had my entire large intestine removed due to Ulcerative colitis and because I have had surgery on my intestines, Gastric Bipass was ruled out completely (my first choice was the sleeve anyway!) I have what is commonly called a J-pouch (which is a recreation of a colon from the small intestine)

Anyway, I am wondering if you have made any progress with a date and what you think of the process at Newton Wellesley?

Thanks and hope things are better!

Hello Elracimo,

I also live in Boston, MA, I recommend you check out Dr. Chung at Brighams and Women hospital. They have been beyond great in my process. I went to my info session in March and my surgery date is May 1. The whole team is wonderful. Even the nutritionists. You can call them 25 times a day and they are polite each time. I had many questions about food substitutions and they gave me wonderful ideas. Check them out. They have locations everywhere including Newton I believe. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

RNY is virtually a cure for GERD so you may want to seriously think about it! I'm sorry your journey has been so long but prayers and best of luck!!

I joined the forum back in August of 2010 I think and when I joined I was very impressed with the wealth of information I got here. I became addicted to this forum. My initial plan was to have surgery by Dr. Almanza in Mexico, my surgery date was in October. Well, I did have surgery in October, but not VSG. In September I became very sick with diverticulitis to the point I could not work. I have not worked since September of 2010. I was hospitalized for a week in September and I underwent a colon resection surgery in October of 2010, had 20 inches of my large intestine removed. So obvs....my VSG with Almanza was cancelled. Per my surgeon, who did the colon resection in Florida where I lived, I could not look into VSG until January of 2011. :(

I haven't been in contact in this forum since then. Th main reason was because I had a horrible recuperation from my colon resection, pain wise. I was in pain all the time, my pain was all over my body. It crippled me, literally. I decided to move to Massachusetts with my boyfriend so I could take the time off to get better and to look into a Boston surgeon for future VSG (he was not keen on me going to get that done in Mexico). I moved to Mass in December from Florida. I healed beautifully from my colon surgery, but the pain all over my body persisted, awaking me at night (and I already had problems with my sleep). I ended up seeing a rheumatologist in January who did a bunch of tests and diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The medications I am on now are certainly helping, but I still have good days and bad days. In the meantime I had VSG on my mind and I found a surgery group at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton, MA, who apparently hold and excellence title in bariatric surgery. I have Harvard Pilgrim for insurance and thankfully it covers the VSG (my previous insurance in FL didn't, reason why I was going to Dr. Almanza). This group, before I could be granted my first appointment, made go through a 2 hour 'orientation' meeting on Jan 26. Yikes...that was a bit grueling, most of the info I already know, but I guess it is a necessary process. I went to the first appointment last week and the surgeon (Dr. Bloomenthal) said I may not be candidate for VSG because of GERD and an esophageal stricture, that depending on the results of some past scopes I've had I may be more of a candidate for RYGB. Yeah..say it ins't so. I doubt that would be the case, I'm definetly pushing the VSG. That day I spent 5 hours in his office, and met with a LSW for psych eval, a nutritionist who royally angered me because I have food allergies and she was not one to give me alternative options, a nurse and of course the surgeon. So far I'm supposed to attend 3 support groups (I've attended 2), I have an appointment March 1st with the surgeon again to 'review'....I was placed on a 1700 calorie diet (sucks) and I am expected to lose some weight, at least 8-10 lbs in a month. Yikes! The surgeon basically said the process is 3-6 months, sometimes longer...... waiting is so hard. I am so ready. I want my health back, I want to stop taking 8-10 pills twice a day because of multiple health conditions. You guys Im only 38. I have 4 kids and 2 step kids. I want to be able to keep up, and I want this done NOW!!...... Oh Lord give me patience!!!!