Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant Drink Anything!

I was sleeved on the 25th. I have not been able to drink but a few sips and hour. Not even 1 water bottle a day. I no im heading for dehydration but dont know what to do . Dr. office was no help. Everytime I drink something I feel nausous and have lots of gurgling and burping and dry heaving. I can only handel the tinest sips. Im so sensitve to smells now. Just thinking of drinking makes me gag. I can tell what my family has had for dinner by the smell is makes me want to puke to just smelling them. Any tips on getting the Water down or suggestion on what to drink?? I dont like anything anymore. Oddly I keep craving apple juice which i probally havnt had in 20 years LOL

It has happen to me also. Keep sipping and sipping. They should have given you nausea medicine and if not call them and request it. Things that were helpful to me is either really hot Decaf tea or popsicles. Some people can only tolerate room temp liquids. The doctors told me they arent worried about becoming dehydrated right after surgery because they pump so many fluids into us at the hosp. Also, I cant tolerate or even like the same stuff prior to my surgery. I had bought several items I had to return to the store because it makes me gag now. Good luck

Okay hun;

You are headed for disaster - aka emergency room if you do not get help or help yourself. I am baffled at why your doctors office refused to acknowledge your need to help.

Get a shot glass. Go out and get g2 gatorade or Powerade zero (no sugar) and set your timer. Every 15 minutes you will fill this glass. During that 15 minutes you will take very small sips so small liquid barely runs down your throat, NO GULPS and continue working until it is gone. This might take 10 minutes. Repeat all day long. (feels like a full time job) Also, do room tempature, NOT COLD. Cold is hard for our new tummies to tolerate. I experienced the same thing and this was the cure. Try tepid chicken broth from something like Lipton Soup if you are gagging the sweet stuff. Or you can try peppermint Decaf tea which is a natural tummy calmer. Remember, not hot, not cold but warm.

Also, on Monday AM call your doctors office and request a PPI perscription. If doc will not perscribe one then get permission to take an over the counter like Pepcid acid reduce strips. This will help your stomach gurgles. I felt like I had an alien in there wanting to get out for the first few weeks until I read about a PPI on this site. Tummy was embarassing is was so loud.

Take care your yourself because no one else will. Hugs!!

I agree that you should try room temp liquids or warm broth. Also your doctor should be able to give you an anti-nausea pill to take each morning as well as a pill to prevent acid. I found that ice cold liquids made me burp very bad and couldhardly get them done until I started leaving the ice out.

the dry heaving is probably from dehydration that is already settling in. You will feel worse quickly if you can't get something in. I couldn't do cold anything for a long time. I diluted apple juice and warmed it up (kind of like cider) and drank chicken broth. try half sips( like a thimbles worth). if you can keep that down, do a half sips constantly ( like every 2-3 min). As the liquids get into your system, the nausea will start to feel better and you can work your way up to half a shot glass, then a shot glass. Yes this will suck!! We all know how crappy you feel right now.But unless you want a trip to the ER in the near future, you've got to try as much as you can. let us know how you are doing!!!!

something else i forgot. I remember sometime back, someone was having troubles getting anything down. what about getting a misting bottle and putting gaterade or juice in it? make sure it's a mister not a sprayer and use that. just keep spraying everytime you think about it? it would be such a small amount of liquids, but it's SOMETHING better than you have been getting.....

Try smelling rubbing alcohol when nauseous and when there are smells around the house you don't like. Actually smell it once in a while, even when you are feeling ok. A nurse recommended this at the hospital and it made me feel much better. I still do it if I overeat.

Also, as unpleasant as suppositories can be, they worked better for me than pills. I couldn't imagine swallowing a pill and feeling nauseous at the same time.

Lastly, at the hospital it was recommended that I sip 3 times out of a 1 ounce cup, but I had to sip 6 times for a week or two. We are not all the same.

If all else fails, call your doctor again and speak up. You are your best advocate. Make them listen to you. Be ready to explain exactly how many ounces you have drank in X number of days or hours and everything you are doing to help the process along. Best wishes!

I had so much trouble as well. Ice worked well for me. As well as the warm broth. My doc also said it was perfectly fine to drink some 100% apple juice. He said that it was fine the first week or 2 to do the full sugar. This was b/c I couldn't get anything down including Protein Shakes. He said this up to 200 calories a day from juice was a good thing for my body. Each doc is differrent, but I would definitely call in the AM if you aren't feeling better. That is what you paid him for.....Feel better soon. I feel your pain, but it does get better.

oh, and weird as it was...i couldn't drink anything cold. However, I was living off of ice from Sonics Drive in and that helped with the nausea....I can't explain it, but it was probably my life saver from becoming dehydrated.

Dehydration causes nausea too, so you are caught in a vicious cycle it sounds like. As others have said, just constantly try to sip small sips all day long. Try room temp or warm liquids, as they have also said, cold is hard on the new healing tummy. Walmart here carries Alpine sugar free Apple cider that you drink warm/hot if apple juice sounds good. It's in the section where the hot chocolates and coffees are. Or diluted apple juice. At this time don't worry about calories so much as hydrating yourself. If you don't do something quick you will be back in the hospital. That wouldn't be a bad idea to make a run to the ER and get hydrated by IV. Please take care of yourself!

I had to be hospitalized for dehydration a few times. There is no shame in it - you need to do what is best for your body. If you're constantly nauseous and heaving, you are most likely already deep into dehydration. Dehydration can make you very sick and keep NOTHING down. Go to the ER and they will put you on an IV. Once they start it, you're body will become more hydrated and I bet your nausea goes away and you can once again tolerate liquids. This process can take up to 4 hours or more, so bring something to read or a computer for TV.

Once hydrated, you're work begins. You need to drink one ounce of Water EVERY 15 minutes. This is your full time job. You fill a giant jug with 8 cups of Water and you just shoot it back every 15 minutes. Rent a TV series, sit on the couch, and hydrate.

Your doctor should be ashamed of sending you away. This can become very serious and even life threatening if you let it go to long.

I was sleeved on Jan 24th. I was actually coming on tonight to find out how long will I be sipping??? I have 3 -16 oz Protein Drinks to drink/day plus all the other drinks. This IS a full time job because of the sipping. We ARE all different because I CAN drink cold fluids. But the broth is helpful to me and I'm drinking apple and white grape juice. I have Mango Passion fruit, and strawberry & Kiwi juice also. I also bought Protein Shots for when I just can't sip anymore like tonight. I worked on 1 Protein Shake for about 2-1/2 hours. The dr recommends 60 oz of fluid/day and it is HARD after taking so long trying to get these 3 shakes down.

Also, my dr prescribed something for nausea, and a prescription for Pepsid, twice a day. I think this is helping because I'm also crushing my Vitamin B-12 and bp and pain med.

Thanks everyone for all the great advise you have no idea how you all helped me. I happened to have pepermint tea in house and amazingly it went down without any problems i also started the sf popsicles and they were good too. I feel so much better I think i was on the brink of dasaster and you guys saved me. My family noticed a difference in me already. I have pepped up. My daughter told me i dont look like im dying now! So far I have drank 3 cups of tea wich is crazy considering that is more thanI drank in the past two days. Good night everyone hope tomorrow will be a new day!