Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

Hi Dawn...

The next St Joe's meeting is thiss Monday the 16th @ 6:45. Hope to see you there!

Quick question here... this original post is about bandsters in NW WA... now I see a reference to St. Joes. Which St. Joes are we talking about? I live in Mount Vernon and I don't know of any support groups anywhere near here.

Hello NW - I was banded on May 27th at St. Francis with Dr. OH. I'd like to hear from his patients, or anyone else, that had to adhere to a strict 28 Days of liquids Post-Op. How did you do it, or did you start mushies early? I think I am starting to loose my mind, just a little bit! Yes, I drink all the other stuff - 64oz of Crystal Light/Water, Jello, Popsicles, V8. I'm just not satisfied. My stomach is rumbling all the time. I'm having headaches daily and starting to feel weak again like I did with the Clear Liquids. I called the doctor and he said he can't help me. He believes that strongly in the 28 days for healing. Yet I see others who have only had days of liquids before starting mushies. Please Help!! I don't want to cheat!! Just let me know what you did, I see your success and I trust you!

Thank You!!!

Hello NW - I was banded on May 27th at St. Francis with Dr. OH. I'd like to hear from his patients, or anyone else, that had to adhere to a strict 28 Days of Liquids Post-Op. How did you do it, or did you start mushies early? I think I am starting to loose my mind, just a little bit! Yes, I drink all the other stuff - 64oz of Crystal Light/Water, Jello, Popsicles, V8. I'm just not satisfied. My stomach is rumbling all the time. I'm having headaches daily and starting to feel weak again like I did with the clear liquids. I called the doctor and he said he can't help me. He believes that strongly in the 28 days for healing. Yet I see others who have only had days of liquids before starting mushies. Please Help!! I don't want to cheat!! Just let me know what you did, I see your success and I trust you!

Thank You!!!

First,

sorry

my

spacebar

isn't

working.

I-will-be-banded-with-him-on-Tuesday.-Have-been-on-that-diet-for-near-2-weeks-now.-Am-doing-well.-I-get-about-550-calories-a-day.

Are-you-drinking-your-protein-drinks?--Supposed-to-be-90-grams-of-protein-per-day.

Hi shome - Guess I left that part out :P. Yes, I'm using "Champion Nutrition - Pure whey Protein Stack," which has 24g per serving. I have 4 shakes total, 96g Protein a day. I was rounding the scoop and sometimes having 6 in one day, but the doctor told me today to cut it back to only 4. So now I really get to starve!! :smile2: Like that could happen. :eek: I know a lot of it is head hunger. I'm not use to being told "NO!" I don't like it!! It's the stomach grumbles I can't handle, and the headaches. Just wanted to know how everyone else dealt with it. Thanks.

Best of luck to you!! I still have no regrets!! :thumbup:

Hello NW - I was banded on May 27th at St. Francis with Dr. OH. I'd like to hear from his patients, or anyone else, that had to adhere to a strict 28 Days of Liquids Post-Op. How did you do it, or did you start mushies early?

Wow -- well, do your best. I was banded up at NWWLS and on liquids post-op for a week, then on to mushies for a couple weeks. Liquids were anything that would go through a straw. Mushies things like mashed potatoes and applesauce. Then at 3 weeks, on to starting solid foods.

Still, it's really best if you can stick to your doctor's instructions as much as possible. Looking at how you were eating prior to surgery, are you missing something other than solid food -- e.g. caffeine - that might be contributing to the headaches?

I totally get what you mean about feeling weak and headachy on liquids. I get that way too.

Hang in there.

Hi shome - Guess I left that part out :). Yes, I'm using "Champion Nutrition - Pure Whey Protein Stack," which has 24g per serving. I have 4 shakes total, 96g Protein a day. I was rounding the scoop and sometimes having 6 in one day, but the doctor told me today to cut it back to only 4. So now I really get to starve!! :crying: Like that could happen. :laugh: I know a lot of it is head hunger. I'm not use to being told "NO!" I don't like it!! It's the stomach grumbles I can't handle, and the headaches. Just wanted to know how everyone else dealt with it. Thanks.

Best of luck to you!! I still have no regrets!! :sad:

That is strange. You have been on it for 2 weeks post band & 2 weeks pre-band I presume. Like I said I have been on it for 11 days now & I am not having any of those symptoms.

Are you taking all of your Vitamins? I went to Super supplements yesterday & stocked up on some liquid ones that I hadn't been able to find at GNC. I must admit it is getting more expensive than they said it the informational lecture. They said $60 a month, that obviously didn't include the protein mix. I will have to tally my two receipts & figure for the ones that will last more than a month to get a true monthly total. But it is all worth it. I have already lost about 30 lbs since April 9th. :smile2:

I was banded by Oh May 07. You are in "Bandster Hell" and we call it that for good reason. Total denial in the diet, but no restriction.

I talked with nutritionists and others, and I don't want to tell you to go against your Doc's advise, but I did add a couple things after about 2-3 weeks post-op. I little teaspoon of peanutbutter in a Champion chocolate protien drink blended with ice, and it's amazing how much more satifying it is...so yummy! I also made some splitpea Soup and blended it to have in my last week or so...a real life saver! I didn't eat alot, 3/4 cup twice a day, but I felt so much better, hunger, energy and it really helped with my "water in Water out" problem.

I really don't agree with restricting to less that 800 calories/day, you throw your body into starvation mode. If I drop belwo 1000 calories, I plateau big time. Oh is the most restrictive of any doctor I've heard of. It gives you a great start on the weight loss, but I did seek the advice of a nutritionist and made some adustments to his diet.

Sue

My doctor didn't have a mushie stage, so I don't know exactly what you are allowed. I did a clear liquid stage for a week, then what my doc called a "full liquid" which included cream Soups, pudding, yogurt without fruit, and things like that. Sometimes I put a little instant mashed potatoes in the broth to give it body, but keep it liquid.

Check the sugar content on some of the things you are having, like the Protein Drinks and popsicles. Sugar will give you severe hunger pangs, so I tried to keep it to near zero at that stage. Good luck! You will live through it, though sometimes it doesn't seem so!

I waw banded Oct 11 2007 by Dr Alverez out of Texas in Mexico $6900 he was awsome. I live in Spokane and my problem has been getting fills. I had the ladies at North West fill center out of Arlington doing it and They caused a leak I found out yesterday I saw Dr Neil in Auburn. So now I have to have a port and tube replacement. DO not have fills with out fluoro NO BLIND STICKS it is a costly mistake $3900. So do I have it fixed I am so bummed.

Thanks so much for the advice! I agree Sue, this is "Bandster Hell." :smile2: But this is it.. my 6th and final week of liquids! I know what the problem is, with only 4 shakes a day, I'm lucky to get 600 calories. That's not enough!! I like the Peanut Butter idea a lot. I wish I could get up to 800 cal, I'd feel much better. At this point, I feel like a survivor! If I can do this.. I can do anything!! Maybe that's Dr. Oh's secret to success!! I still don't like it! But hopefully my waist will! :lol:

I can remember my last meal on May 11th, "Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que!" :P Hey, shredded bar-b-que chicken is kinda mushie, right? :smile:

Edited by Seattlelight

Famous Dave's...YUMMMMMMM!!!

You're almost there...it's all down hill from here. I had the same feelings...If I can do this, I can do anything! It was such a boost to my self esteme to succeed at the liquid diet. Be proud of yourself, and know that even if you have little slips now and then, you CAN and WILL do this!!! You've got a great new tool now that will fill in those gaps that used to lead to giving up, it's a new ball game now (yes, I'm watching the Mariners...LOL).

Sue