Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 1St Dinner Party And I Am Nervous.

Today is my Mom’s birthday and she is having a party at a nice bistro, there are a few people who do not know about my surgery and a few others who do know that will be there, but I’m nervous about what to eat and drink any advice?

How far out are you? Are you on regular foods yet?

Today is my Mom’s birthday and she is having a party at a nice bistro, there are a few people who do not know about my surgery and a few others who do know that will be there, but I’m nervous about what to eat and drink any advice?

Hi there Cassandra,

Yes, we will need to know how far out you are and/or what stage you are on post op. If its a Bistro Im sure they will have Protein options. Trust me, everyone is going to be concerned about there own plates, not so much yours. If anyone asks, and you are not comfortable talking about the surgery to everyone, just tell them you are Low Carbing it.

I was sleeved 12/1/11 so I am 8 weeks out and I’m on regular foods. I haven’t done well with most refine cabs like rice and bread (I haven’t tried Pasta but I want to hold off). I’m really concerned with drinking, I had a few sip of champagne for New years but outside of that no alcohol and I know that there will be drinking which isn’t usually a problem for me. I would like one drink, not to make it a habit but what if any should I consider.

Social situations are the hardest at first. The truth is, no one is watching what or how much you eat. You will be able to find something diet appropriate, eat what you should and everything will be fine. For me the hardest part was separtating the food from the event. It is the company that makes it, not what you eat. Have fun and good luck., You will do great.

Cassandra, my go-to foods for public meals (business lunches, dinner with friends, girls' lunches, etc.) are shrimp cocktail or remoulade, Soup, or a small salad (if you can handle grilled chicken or tuna or shrimp on it, great!).

Kurt is right; we are much more aware of our eating than others are. These days, 9 months out, it's standard for me to just order Water (so the waitstaff don't freak out and keep asking me if I want a drink)--you can order Water with lemon, if you want something that looks festive but you know you won't be drinking much of. Then I say, "I'd like a cup of Soup as my entree, please," or "I'd like the appetizer shrimp cocktail as my entree, please," smile, and move on!

Another option, if you're with friends/family who won't mind and with whom you can discuss ahead of time, is order an appetizer for appetizer time, enjoy it, and then "split" an entree with someone--you take only a little food onto your plate--again, nobody is going to pay much attention, because restaurant portions are so huge these days and splitting Entrees is so common. I promise, my husband and I split Entrees everywhere now (we're both sleeved), and no waitstaff has ever so much as raised an eyebrow. Our families know we're sleeved, but we eat often with other people who don't know, and they don't pay attention, either.

Enjoy your mom's special day!! Celebrate, visit, and know that you've done something for your health that will let you be with her longer. HUGS!!

Adding to what Meg said, any kind of baked fish is reall easy on the sleeve. I would stay away from salad right now, that is usually a 6 month thing. Raw veggies are hard for the first 6 months. Mashed potatoes and baked chicken were my go to in those situations. Stay away from soft bread if you can, it will hurt! Don't be afraid to ask for something not on the menu, they can only say no. Even if it is scrambled eggs and cottage cheese. appetizers as a meal usually work too. Just let them know that is what you are doing so they bring it out with everyone elses main course. I eat out a lot, my wife and I are both sleeved, work crazy schedules and we have no problem finding good things to eat.If youy don't want to share to others about your surgery, don't. Just tell them you are on a special diet. Personally, I tell anyone that asks. I am proud to tell my story of taking my life back.

Thanks So Cal Kurt and MegInNOLA, all very helpful, I’ll let you both know what happens. I looked at the menu and they have small plate items listed so I’m not sure what that is, maybe something larger than an appetizer? You are right it’s about the celebration so I’ll enjoy the company and as for the people who don’t know you are right again I am proud of my sleeve so I can share if they ask.

Everything is well said here. I personally love sharing something with my hubby. He doesn't need to eat all that food anyways,, and all I can eat is a couple of bites if I'm lucky. I like to stick with Protein that is soft and easy for my tummy to digest. I also will sample a few other things. I was really surprised when I went to a certification class and everyone went out to lunch together. Everyone was offering everyone else food. I ended up throwing away most of my expensive meal. So I just don't order anything for me. Soup is a really good choice too..... Have a great time at the party for your mom and who cares what others are thinking, you are the important one! You are ROCKIN that SLEEVE! Have a wonderful time and let us know how it went. ;)

I was sleeved 12/1/11 so I am 8 weeks out and I’m on regular foods. I haven’t done well with most refine cabs like rice and bread (I haven’t tried Pasta but I want to hold off). I’m really concerned with drinking, I had a few sip of champagne for New years but outside of that no alcohol and I know that there will be drinking which isn’t usually a problem for me. I would like one drink, not to make it a habit but what if any should I consider.

I absolutely did not 'cheat' until I reached goal. When I went out to eat, which was a time or two a week, I always tried to find an on line menu to look at ahead of time. If there wasn't one, I did have in mind what I would get. Something thast is always safe and for me, goes down easy is shrimp cocktail. You are a newby, I doubt that you can eat much, probably not even an entire shrimp coctail, but it is packed with Protein and seafood is 'soft'....at least it was something that never gave me problems! Good luck!!

Also, people at a get together do not pay attention to what others are eating! People who know about your surgery may and may ask a few questions, but the ones who know nothing, will not notice, I am sure of it. Who pays attention to what others eat??

Well, I guess maybe those of us who've had surgery pay attention now and wonder HOW we ever ate that amount! :)

I did really well, I had an appetizer of fried smoked oysters and caviar and 2 sips of champagne and 2 very small bites of cake this all took place over 4 hours and I had no issues at all. I nice social treat and I feel good about the choices I made. Thanks everyone for the support.