Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Started... This Sucks! Any Advice?

I just started my pre-op diet today and I'm already wondering if I can last... I've got two weeks of this crap and I'm hungry already. Any advice or recipes that could help would be greatly appreciated (:

eyes on the prize. Today is my *last* day of the pre-op diet, and I only have two pieces of advice:

1.) When you're hungry, drink a Protein shake. Protein really helps you feel not hungry.

2.) Remind yourself that YOU are in control. Not your brain, not your hunger, not your stomach, YOU. No matter how hungry you get, or how much pain you're in, you ALWAYS have a choice. You've come this far, so just remind yourself every day that you chose not to cheat.

The other big motivating factor for me was my doc said that if you cheat on your pre-op diet it exponentially increases the chance of having to convert to an open surgery, which involves splitting your torso in half, and cracking open all your ribs.

^---- 2 weeks of hunger is definitely worth reducing the risk of having 3 months of cracked ribs.

oh wow, thanks so much! never thought of it that way... deff makes me not want to cheat

I just started my pre-op diet today...and yes the Protein shakes really takes hunger edge off....

I have the bari essential chocolate and i add a couple of drops of vanilla flavor in so that it won't taste like air and it works

I have had 2 cups of sugar free Jello and my 64 oz of Water along with the Protein Shakes and I am not pulling my hair out. :banghead: :incazzato:

When i feel the hunger angst i drink my Protein shake and it works. :smile1:

I take it one day at time, I am not even thinking about 2/6(my surgery date) I am focused on where I am right now. So I count today as Victorious! smilingface%20%2852%29.gif I made it, time for a shower and off to bed. :amen:

I will check in with you tomorrow since we are surgery twins...One day at a time!

Operation Sexy 2012 in full effect :) :shades_smile: :thumbs_up:

I have found that using 1/4 of the packet of spices in a few cups of Water is a GREAT alternative to just the regular broth - helps to stave off the cravings! Good luck! I have 4 more days of this!

thanks guys! and BluebonnetMagonlia, i really thought about what you said last night and you're right! i am in control and its time to do this for me. i'm praying about it and just taking this day by day now instead of looking at two weeks from now. good luck today and hopefully it'll be another cheat-free day (:

Operation Sexy 2012 in full effect :smile1: :shades_smile: :thumbs_up:

HA HA! I love that!!!

I also had to do a two week liquid preop diet and I agree...it sucked!! What I found was that I'd I would get extremely hungry or have blood sugar issues, I could eat one saltine cracker and it would curb it. I think during my first week of thr preop diet I ate 3-4 saltine crackers everyday. The second week probably 1-2 everyday. My surgeon last Friday said that my surgery was textbook and actually quite boring. That being said, I don't think the saltines hurt me. Good luck and stick with it. The liquid diet "on the other side" is much easier!!!

I am on day 6 of my 14 day liquid diet. My surgery is sep 2 right before yours. I definately understand what you are going through. I agree it is rough. I have just been trying different Proteins to find on that I like. I actually came accross the Isopure smothie in berry pomegranate and it tastes far better than previous ones. Hang in there and we will get through this together. I think finding what works best for you will help. Have you mixed it up at all I.e. flavors or are you "drinking" the same thing everyday? Good luck today! We can all do this!

I am on day 6 of my 14 day liquid diet. My surgery is sep 2 right before yours. I definately understand what you are going through. I agree it is rough. I have just been trying different Proteins to find on that I like. I actually came accross the Isopure smothie in berry pomegranate and it tastes far better than previous ones. Hang in there and we will get through this together. I think finding what works best for you will help. Have you mixed it up at all I.e. flavors or are you "drinking" the same thing everyday? Good luck today! We can all do this!

i've been drinking the same Protein Drink for the last two days but i have two new flavors coming in - chocolate mint and cake batter; pretty excited haha. but yes, we can all deff do this!

Just remember, there's a light at the end of the tunnel - its not permanent....its a means to an end. You cannot have your sleeve if you don't drink your protein! :)

I started my pre-op diet yesterday too. Surgery is scheduled for 2/6! I'm not on strictly liquids though. Just high protein/low carb. Liquids only though the day before surgery. Nerves setting in!!! Good luck to all of you and WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

oh wow, thanks so much! never thought of it that way... deff makes me not want to cheat

RIGHT???? NOW PUT YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON AND GET TO IT WOMAN!! Hahaha :lol: (I say that in love!-and humor) :lol:

I'm on day 9 of the 14 day pre-op. The first four days were torture! Part of that was self induced since I had not gotten off caffeine before it started like I should have. I was away from the house at a seminar all day on Sunday and couldn't do a Protein shake. Also I have not told the people I was with about the surgery and didn't want to bring attention to myself at lunch with questions of why I wasn't eating. So I ate a very small amount and honestly felt guilty the whole time for eating.

I have the chocolate bari-essentials. I have found that if I go ahead and mix up the shakes and keep them in the refrigerator, by the time I drink them all the air and bubbles have gone away and it tastes much better to me. Crystal light and sugar free popsicles have been my best friends.

I too have been reminding myself that this is a serious and major surgery and I need to try with every ounce of energy and will power that I have to keep on track so it can go as smoothly as possible. Hang in there. We can do this!!

Just remember, there's a light at the end of the tunnel - its not permanent....its a means to an end. You cannot have your sleeve if you don't drink your protein! :smile1:

(was that a nod to Pink Floyd, or am I just showing my age? ;) )