Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Low Bmi Folks Here?

HEY THERE "LIPSTICK"

:welcome:

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SUGGEST THAT SINCE YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU HAVE A FATTY LIVER, THEN YOU SHOULD TRY TO LOSE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. CAUSE IF YOUR LIVER IS TO FATTY WHEN THEY GET IN THERE...THEY WILL POSTPONE YOUR SURGERY. CAUSE IF YOUR LIVER IS TO FATTY IT CAN BE REALLY BAD AND TO DIFFICULT FOR THE SURGEON. I PERSONALLY KNOW 3 DIFFERENT LADIES THAT HAVE BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO A FATTY LIVER. F.Y.I......

BUT OTHER THAN THAT YOU AND I SHOULD BE HAVING SURGERY AROUND THE SAME TIME...LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY

MICHELLE

I'm 5'5" and was 223 lbs when I started out and 195 lbs at surgery. I'm 123 lbs now at almost 10 months out. My BMI has gone from 39 to 20. For me, along with a high protein/low carb diet, the key has been regular aerobic exercise. It kills the appetite during and for an hour afterwards and keeps the metabolism kicked up despite being in 'starvation mode.' Lightweights do very well with a VSG, but you got to be willing to really rock this tool!

I'm 5'6"...the doctor insists that I'm actually 5'5", but I don't believe him. My license says 5'6" and that's how it's going to stay...lol!

My BMI was exactly 40 (the bare minimum to be approved) and 241 lbs. I'm like 233 (as of Thursday) but I'm on my two week pre-op diet so I know I've lost a few more. I'm going to try to weigh myself once a week, if even that. I don't want to be obsessive. I've also been doing my elliptical for 15 minutes and building my way up. I hope I can still do the elliptical, albeit very slowly, after the surgery. I'm in New York and it's been quite cold out. I don't know if I'll be able to get outside to walk. I also don't want to join the gym 'til my doctor gives me the okay to bump it up.

Welcome - I started off with a 33 BMI - losing almost 75lbs in less than 6 months to hit my personal goal - 10 to 15 lbs below my surgeons goal. The doctor did not give me a time frame other than saying expect to be at goal within a year. Yeah, image how they felt when I walked in at 5 months at thier goal. I lost another 10 lbs (I go up/down 5 lbs now depending upon hormones and junk I eat) within next two months.

So a tip- you will need to learn what your formula is and do not compare yourself to others as you will only be discouraged. Remember as all of us lose weight differently. Some lose weight by strictly adhering to a low carb diet (like me) while others must excercise a lot (LilMissDiva) or some lose slowly no matter what approach (Coop). This is not a race against one another or a timed finish.

The sleeve works!

I'm just curious.... were you self pay? I don't believe you can even get it done with a BMI lower than 35 here.. although I have read that Mexico will do it at 30.

I had 3 surgeons in the US willing to do surgery on me (BMI of 32.8) ... Insurance usually requires 35 with comorbidities or 40+ without. Most surgeons just require you to be considered obese by BMI and discuss dieting/maintenance history, etc. Not all are just interested in the $$$ - mine really seemed to care about my dieting failures, my family history, etc. I really appreciated his listening and caring.

I am 5'6" and was 222 the day before surgery. I lost 32 lbs. on the pre-op diet. At 8 months out, I am a few teeny pounds from goal, which will put me at 135 with a BMI of 21.8. I wanted a BMI in the middle of the normal range. Also, in my teens and early 20s I weighed 118 and liked how I looked, so I added a few pounds to that for age. I do exercise 5 days a week and I'm pretty compliant with the nutritional guidelines recommended by my program.

Lynda

My BMI is barely 30 and I am scheduled for surgery in less than a week. I was banded in '09 and lost 110 pounds rather quickly. I lost my band in 2010 to prolapse and though I do 2 a days and watch what I eat like a hawk the weight is creeping back on.

I have a lower BMI for the insurance but was approved due to sleep apnea. I am currently 227 (3 lbs down due to preop diet. I'm on day 5 of 14) and 5'7". I wAs apporoved at about 230.

During my pre-op my surgeon said to expect approximately 50-60lbs in the first three months. This was for me, I would definitely talk to your surgeon about weight loss timeframes.

Good luck through the hoops and getting approved!!

I am 5'3 and was 216 my day of surgery. I have been a relatively slow loser and 4.5 months post surgery I have "only" lost 41 pounds and am currently on a three week stall at 175. I don't mind losing slow, but do fear that I won't lose any more.