Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Low Bmi Folks Here?

Hey Everyone! I am 5'4 and 212 which makes my BMI 36.8. I was wondering if your doctor has given you any idea on the rate of loss you can expect. When I went for my initial consultation, we didn't discuss goal weight or what kind of rate I can expect to lose.

I am currently in the last month of jumping through insurance hoops so HOPEFULLY I will have surgery in March. smilingface (52).gif

Thanks!! :)

I am 5'4" & I was 249.4lbs (let's just say 250lbs) I am now 202lbs. And I am 52 years old. My surgery was Oct.26,2011. I feel great...Everyone loses at different rates. My surgeon. says I'm doing great! I just went to family dr. & he lowered my thyroid meds & diabetic meds. All's good!

That is awesome! Sounds like you are doing well! I am so ready to have this done. I will admit, I have moments where I think, "what the heck am I doing??" I have high bp, mild sleep apnea, crappy cholesterol, fatty liver, GERD, basically nonexistent Vitamin D so I tell myself this is the best thing I can do for myself!

Keep working your sleeve!! :)

Hi

I am pretty similiar to you. I am 5'3 and was 212lbs on surgery day Dec. 26th 2011. I had lost about 20lbs during the six month phycisian monitored diet required by my insurance prior to surgery. At my 1st post op followup app. 8 days after surgery I had lost 13lbs. I have decided to only weigh myself once a week which will be this coming Tuesday. I am hoping I have lost maybe another 4lbs. My surgeon didnt really discuss what I could expect to lose each week either and I didnt think to ask. I guess I will be happy if I consistently lose 3 to 4lbs a week especially in the beginning. I know my surgeon did say that the first 6 months after sleeving is the prime time for the most amount of weight loss. After that it slows down and you have to work harder for each pound to go bye bye

My BMI was 40 at the time of surgery. After looking at a ton of tickers (and a comment from my surgeon), I expect to lose an AVERAGE of 10 pounds a month. Hope this helps.

I am 5"3 and I was 216 pre surgery . My BMI was 38. Now I am 176 and I will be 2 months out soon. I think my surgeon said I can expect about 60%-65% of my pre op weight gone.

I am 5'5" and currently weigh 219, my BMI is around 36.6. I was initinally going to have the gastric bypass, but just felt it was an overkill for me and after a ton of research, I came to the conclusion that the Sleeve was the best thing for me. My doctor didnt say how much I am expected to lose, so I am curious what other responses you get! :dance:

My BMI was just below 33. If you look at my profile, you can see my loss per month. Sometimes it felt slow, but looking back, I lost an incredible % in a relatively short amount of time. I really don't know if BMI is a factor in speed, I think bodies just react differently. (<-- So frustrating not to have a one size, fits all package!)

I am 5'6" and weigh 252 currently, my BMI is 41. At this point I am 2 1/2 weeks from completing my final appointment for the insurance hoops of fire. At first I was going to get the bypass, but with research the RNY scared me more and the VSG scared me less, it actually brought me to my 'calm' or 'peaceful decision' lol I have yet to be approved, but I plan to fight. My insurance policy covers the sleeve but the wording states that its for patients with a BMI of 50 or over as part of a two step process blah blah blah :banghead: . Hopefully with the updated position paper from ASMBS (10/28/11) I can gain approval.

I just told my surgeons office about the switch..and asked if they needed me to do anything different and they said no. I was never told to lose any weight...so idk.. :blush5:

btw..why are there so many banana's doing it in the smilies?? lol

I had a BMI of 33 when I had surgery August 27, 2010...now my BMI is 23...I went from 204 to 144 and fluctuate around 4 lbs. or so. The doctor said 50 to 60 lbs for me and he was right.

I am 213 and 5', 4" and will have surgery 1/24/12. My friend who had the surgery Nov 2010 was 219 and 5' 4". She went from a size 18 to a size 12. She admits to not eating enough Protein.< /p>

From what I have seen on here the low BMI'ers have really good sucess. My BMI is 40 I'm 5'0' and started at 205 now 198. Most all I have seen are at or very near their goal weight. Weight charts say I have to be 125 to be "normal BMI" for my height. I'd like to get to 135ish. 10.5 yrs ago I got to 145 for a short time and I looked dang good then I thought...so 135 will be awesome! My Dr. said I should have NOOO problem getting to 135 but I'm giving myself alittle buffer so I'm not focusing too much on the lowest I can get. I just KNOW anything around 130-140 is a hell of alot better than 215 which is my highest!

Thanks for all the replies! If I can get down to about 145, I will think I am the skinniest woman on the planet! haha! I am trying to not put an absolute number on my success and hope I can just get to a place where I don't want to throw up when I see my naked body!

I think there are different stats for different WLSurgeries, but the average expected loss is around 60% of your excess weight. To figure out your excess weight, figure out what weight you would be at a BMI of 25. Take your CURRENT weight and subtract the weight at which you would have a normal BMI. Take that number and times it by .6. That will give you an amount that you can expect to lose with any of the weight loss surgeries.

For example a woman who is 5'5" a BMI of 25 means they should weigh 150lbs. If the person currently weighs 275lbs, they have an excess of 125lbs on their body. Take 125 and times it by .6 which equals 75. Statistically speaking your WLS is considered a success when you lose 75lbs.

I hope that makes sense!

I had a BMI of 33 when I had surgery August 27, 2010...now my BMI is 23...I went from 204 to 144 and fluctuate around 4 lbs. or so. The doctor said 50 to 60 lbs for me and he was right.

I'm just curious.... were you self pay? I don't believe you can even get it done with a BMI lower than 35 here.. although I have read that Mexico will do it at 30.