Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking Buddies 5'2" & Under

I haven't had my surgery yet. I am just starting this whole process. I think two weeks would do it. I work from home and it will not take much energy to open my laptop and work.

Oh - I had that too. They used the same openings to do my sleeve. With gallbladder I was in hospital for 23 hours. Came home and felt great the next day so drove somewhere 20 minutes from my home. That was a big mistake! i got there and did not think I would make it back home. Lesson learned!

hello I am 5'1" and 65 years old. My surgery was May 4th. I am down 25 lbs. I have been stalled at this weight for several weeks and I am very frustrated.

What can I do? Keep on doing the right things, eating right, working out and keep on keeping on.

the mams

@@mamsinator Great news that you have had such great results so far. I will be interested in responses you get. Hoping it is a temporary condition. It is wonderful to hear so many success stories. I look forward to sharing my experiences. I think we have a lot of vertically perfect people on this thread!

Edited by KensingtonWalk

@@mamsinator you have had good results!! Congratulations!! You are exactly right--keep on keeping on!! Just check to see that you are eating right--maybe a food diary??!! I am almost 4'11 and weighed 264 when I started in Jan. my first goal was to weigh under 200. My weight hovered at 202--203 for SEVERAL weeks before I finally got to 200. It is frustrating but remember (1) this is a process and (2) it's more about getting healthy than numbers on a scale. You'll be losing inches even when that number won't budge!! Hang in there!!

I'm 5 ft

Kensingtonwalk

Didn't realize you haven't had it yet. Do you have a date or are you earlier in the process? There is a lot to do prior to surgery. I lost 32 lbs before my surgery. It was so much fun getting rid of large sizes and bringing smaller sizes up from the basement where they had been in storage. Also did some fun thrift store and ebay shopping -- figured each size might only fit for a month so not willing to spend a lot on new clothes yet. Where are you in the process?

Mamsinator- You are doing great. Plateaus are frustrating but expected after losing so much so quickly. Your body needs time to adjust. You lost 25 lbs in a month! That is awesome. Just keep to the program and you will start losing again. What often worked for me with plateaus was to eat a little more for 1 or 2 days (no more) to stimulate my body and then when I went back down my body would lose again. But that was before surgery so not sure how that would work now.

I am just starting. Last year I investigated it and the fiscal year ended and so did our benefits for the surgery. I was very disappointed, very discouraged. I petitioned our CEO to include this vital benefit in this year's benefits, and she agreed. They decided to include it in our benefits this year. I am starting the application process again after July 1. I am very excited to have this opportunity to become healthy and live longer.

And I like to have as much information as possible so I am prepared.

Good for you! My understanding is that with most insurance it takes 3 months pre-surgery pre p. Medicare required less but it still was about 2.5 months from my first appointment before I had the surgery. So,sounds like you will be ready for fall. By then you will be an expert!

I had to do the presurgery diet, meet with a nutritionist, take a 1 hour class, get a psych eval (do not spend tons of money on this, they really just need a brief letter saying you are realistic about the surgery; Contact me if you need more info before doing this, A comprehensive eval is not needed.) I had to attend 2 exercise classes and 3 or 4 doc appointments.And i needed to write a letter saying why I wanted the surgery (impact weight has had on me.) Nothing was difficult and it all was pretty quick. I wanted to time it so that I would be back on solid soft food (fish) prior to my August family vacation and it worked out perfectly. The best part is that you lose lots of weight following the presurgery diet. The goal of the diet is to shrink your liver to make the surgery easier but a nice side effect is great weight loss and you get used to Protein shakes. i lost 32 lbs in 2.5 months and that included taking a 10 day cruise where I usually would have gained 10 lbs! You will love it!