Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee/caffeine...to Do Or Not To Do?

I remember the nuts and or bariatric techs saying not coffee/caffeine...I think the main reason was cuz its a diaretic and will dehydrate you...

Has anyone had any experience with coffee/caffeine intake. I laid off for about the first 2 months but have started to have an occasional cup of java!!

It is soooooooo hard to avoid on these crisp mornings!!

I was given coffee in the hospital at post-op, so I've enjoyed it daily with no ill effects. Definitely follow your physician's/dietician's recommendations, though!

to have or not to have, you can have coffee, you can not have coffee, you can have this but not that......

i know all doctors are different, but i still don't understand why one dr or NUT. can say something so different than another. There all going for the same ending, that we're all fine and healthy and successful - so how there be so many opinions?

kathy

There all going for the same ending, that we're all fine and healthy and successful - so how there be so many opinions? kathy

I wonder that too, Kathy. When I see people on here posting about how they slipped by eating a bite of solid food two days too early, and getting really upset and worried about the effects, I get a little mad because I feel like we're not being given accurate, results-based information. WLS is not new; it's been around for decades. Human nutrition, while constantly evolving like anything else in medicine and science, isn't a new field either. So why are they acting like they just started figuring everything out within the last 10 years or so?

I guess this is an example of a time when you have to be your own healthcare advocate. Educate yourself, talk to other people (this forum is a great place to do that), and above all, listen to how YOU feel.

Every doc is different, but my patient education packet says I will be able to have ONE cup of coffee or tea per day after I get home from surgery. And I have a VERY conservative doctor when it comes to diet. I'll be on Clear Liquids and full liquids longer than most I see on this forum. So, if he's comfortable with coffee- I'm drinkin' it!!

UXgrrl, thanx for your reply. To all in sleevelandunsure.png

Heres another example of differences. my DOS was 12/15/11 - my NUT told me not to take any Vitamins yet. I am always reading from Newbies about there Vitamins they are taking. But like i said, NUT said no. I asked why should we wait, she just said she would rater wait for my 2nd visit, which is 2/8/12. Oh well, go figurewacko.png

kathyregular_smile.gif

to have or not to have, you can have coffee, you can not have coffee, you can have this but not that...... i know all doctors are different, but i still don't understand why one dr or NUT. can say something so different than another. There all going for the same ending, that we're all fine and healthy and successful - so how there be so many opinions? kathy

My doc was definitely the rebel of the group...i didn't have to crush my meds or do a leak test, or have a drain put in...he was awesome...

But you are correct, there are many, many, different "opinions" when it comes to the WLS "rulz"...

My surgeon allows for one caffeinated beverage per day. I shake a scoop of chocolate Muscle Milk into eight ounces of cold home-brewed coffee every day. That means no caffeine headache and 16 grams of Protein for me.

I read about other patient's limitations and allowances with a grain of salt. I carefully selected my surgeon and I think he has my success in mind. My success directly correlates to his success.

It would be interesting to put together a spreadsheet of the various dietary timelines to see the vast difference in pre- and post-surgical regimens! Does one exist?

mullet head & fellow sleevers

OMG - my dr didn't give me a drain or leak test either, i was so happy. I didn't mention it here cuz i figured some people on the board might say "hmmmm, no drain or leak test, not good" rolleyes.gif

to all my fellow sleevers i apologize on being a little "judgmental" jumping to conclusions etc. please forgive me okhappy.png

kathyembaressed_smile.gif

I have 2 to 3 cups of caffinated coffee every morning. after the 2nd cup I sometimes stop as I get nausea. I go with what my body is telling me. good luck

I was told to wait 3 weeks for coffee and then it was ok. I have about 2 cups a day. Since I had to give up diet coke there's no way I'm giving up coffee if I don't have to.

I was told it's fine once your tummy is healed three or four weeks later, six to be really conservative. I love coffee, seriously could not give it up. It might have been a deal breaker for me. ;)

My nutritionist and surgeon both recommend no caffeine after surgery, ever. They say it can cause ulcers. That said, I asked the nutritionist during my last visit and she said that she didn't anticipate I would have issues with occasional caffeine, as long as I wasn't drinking a pot of coffee a day.

Since I was able to give it up post-op my body has gotten used to being without it, so I don't drink coffee or caffeine every day - but I do periodically treat myself to a half-caff Starbucks mocha latte (boy is that a BIG splurge!).