Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

I think there are SO many factors that come into play when it comes to maintenance. I think it's very different for people who have been overweight since childhood vs people who didn't get heavy until their childbearing years. I think it's very different for people who had 200 or more pounds to lose vs the lower-bmi patients. I think your pre-op eating habits also play a huge role - I'm back to battling binge eating habits now that the "honeymoon" stage is over. I think that's why we see such a huge range of experience when it comes to regain. But to me the biggest advantage we have over non-ops is that we can get by on around 1200 calories a day without being truly miserable.

Does anyone else read Dr. Sharma's blog? I could swear I've seen studies referenced on his site that people who've lost a large amount of weight on low calorie diets actually don't see long-term metabolic disadvantages beyond the decrease you'd expect simply due to lower body weight (by which I mean, it takes fewer calories to maintain a 130 lb body than a 300 lb body). Which suggests that a lot of it may really be due to ghrelin and other chemical factors. If you look at Debra's blog, there's a lot of info about how there's a lot more going on than just leptin and ghrelin.

I dunno.... it seems like when I look at Dr. Cirangle's successful maintainers, a lot of them are living off a LOT fewer calories a day than seems "normal", and I can't help but wonder if a year at 600-800 calories, effectively brought lower by whatever's burned in exercies, doesn't have a real impact long-term. But I haven't really seen the science to back up the idea that it's truly a reduction in base metabolic rate compared to someone of the same bmi who hasn't had a history of obesity and weight reduction.

When I had my first meeting with my surgeon, he asked me "would you be happy weighing 50 pounds less" I said of course, but hoped to lose 90 (modest, just the top of my normal bmi).... they also said the sleeve has some regain in their experience...but it is possible for some to keep most of the wight off. They never promised I would lose all the weight and keep it off forever. I am still exploring the ways I can stay successful with all of this...giving up (which for me means not logging or weighing) is just not an option. That is when I gain weight quickly.

When I had my first meeting with my surgeon' date=' he asked me "would you be happy weighing 50 pounds less" I said of course, but hoped to lose 90 (modest, just the top of my normal bmi).... they also said the sleeve has some regain in their experience...but it is possible for some to keep most of the wight off. They never promised I would lose all the weight and keep it off forever. I am still exploring the ways I can stay successful with all of this...giving up (which for me means not logging or weighing) is just not an option. That is when I gain weight quickly.[/quote']

So true! It will have to be a "dance" for life. If I don't make myself weigh I WILL gain. If I'm up a lb or two it makes me be more motivated to eat good.

Here's an excellent article for us all from Obesity Help newsletter. Just what we have been talking about. We're okay! We CAN do this!!!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/bariatric-regain/

Here's an excellent article for us all from Obesity Help newsletter. Just what we have been talking about. We're okay! We CAN do this!!!

http://www.obesityhe...riatric-regain/

NannieG THANK YOU so much for posting this link. GREAT article, and I really needed to read that.

Just a quick up date from me... I think I am on the mend...lol

I have been devoured by this TT! But I think I have turned a corner both mentally and physically; feeling a lot more positive and I have more energy, which is just as well cos I go back to work on Monday after a very long 5 weeks off to recover. I think the worst is over now re the healing. I do suffer a lot of swelling during the evening but this is all very normal.

My eating habits have been crap to say the least - not doing well at all. I seem to be 'off my food' and that means I grab bits and bobs through the day and I haven't really focused on quality of food. The only good thing is the quantity is low. This will change when I get back to work and back in a routine. The scale is bouncing around again - I go from 161- 165lb on any given day! Haven't seen that elusive number of 159 for a good while, but I am hoping that we will be reunited again once I am cleared to do more.

So all in all, not too bad, not too good but I'll take it on the chin!

Hope everyone else is good ... keep on keeping on my friends!

I have been devoured by this TT! But I think I have turned a corner both mentally and physically; feeling a lot more positive and I have more energy, which is just as well cos I go back to work on Monday after a very long 5 weeks off to recover. I think the worst is over now re the healing. I do suffer a lot of swelling during the evening but this is all very normal.

My eating habits have been crap to say the least - not doing well at all. I seem to be 'off my food' and that means I grab bits and bobs through the day and I haven't really focused on quality of food. The only good thing is the quantity is low. This will change when I get back to work and back in a routine. The scale is bouncing around again - I go from 161- 165lb on any given day! Haven't seen that elusive number of 159 for a good while, but I am hoping that we will be reunited again once I am cleared to do more.

Coops glad to hear it's going well, and I'm sure even though you would probably like more time off, it might be good to get back to a "schedule" ...don't worry about the eating right now. You can always refocus on that later. Like you said at least it's not quantity. AND you KNOW what you need to do. Maybe after a week or so back at work you can refocus on the eating habits. I have NO doubt in my mind that you will see the 150's when all the swelling and healing is done! Hugs my sleeve-sister!

I agree with M2G, Coops, the food will most likely take care of itself at some point later. When you don't feel well nothing really tastes good anyway. So glad you are on the way "up!" I feel sure 150 is in your near future. ????

Now as for me! Well... Been eating well. Trying to watch a total calorie count somewhat as well as carbs. Sometimes the two don't work well together. Lol But have managed to keep what I've lost again off but it seems any little thing affects the scale. Sigh.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Here's to all of the gang!!!!

coops, clad your body is healing well! You will be tiptop in no time.

I have two groups of company from New Zealand showing up in the next day or two... overlapping at times, and adding up to about two weeks. I am taking some time off to visit.. but fear the worst, as last time this happened I gained a chunk of weight. I went shopping and got some low cal and healthy go-tos, veggies, low fat dips, diet soda (Not my regular thing at all, but trying to have something here thats not booze for me) Will make a big pitcher of ice tea...trying to fit in a little bit more exercise too.... fingers crossed!... oh and they will be staying HERE.... I have a one bedroom house! Fun and challenging too.

coops, clad your body is healing well! You will be tiptop in no time.

I have two groups of company from New Zealand showing up in the next day or two... overlapping at times, and adding up to about two weeks. I am taking some time off to visit.. but fear the worst, as last time this happened I gained a chunk of weight. I went shopping and got some low cal and healthy go-tos, veggies, low fat dips, diet soda (Not my regular thing at all, but trying to have something here thats not booze for me) Will make a big pitcher of ice tea...trying to fit in a little bit more exercise too.... fingers crossed!... oh and they will be staying HERE.... I have a one bedroom house! Fun and challenging too.

You sound VERY prepared and that will help so much. I always gain a few when I go visit my mom or she comes here. It's annoying, like I can't stay ON TRACK when she is around. Ugh. I see her about once a month or every 2 months. The one bedroom house might be more trouble than keeping on your eating plan....ha! Good luck with that one FYE... ;)

Coops you are doing so good......Nice to hear your healing and taking the swelling with stride.....

Just got back from Maui and had a really fun time. The only problem is, I gained at least 8 lbs from my highest bounce....

Today is a day that I'm back on track. My adult children went with us and they ate a lot of chips, Cookies, and chocolates....and so did I. :( Well now I know it's very easy to gain the excess weight back....In fact too easy.

How is your energy level these days.....In Maui we were whale watching for 2 hours and it totally wiped me out....went to luau afterward and ended up going to the car to sleep it off.....LOL....Just wondering about eating now days..... CONGRATS on your success.....The swelling does add weight to you also so I know you will go down really quickly.... :)

Oh, Girls, I got very concerned after reading a thread on another website. The person sounded just like us and was 4 years out telling she had regained 60 pounds!!!! Then others started talking about weight gain too 50+ lbs. then I realized it was a RNY forum. but.... Yikes!

hi coops,

I see over on the vets forum that you now take a UK size 12. I just had to wish you well and hope you see it on this thread. I cannot reply on the vets forum as you know.

Size 12 is a big deal.

Well Done,

Bookleen

Hiya ladies,

Thanks Bookleen... I haven't worn a size 12 in over 20 years! Mad to think that flap of skin that was removed made that much difference as I haven't lost a pound! But yea! I realise now that it is a big deal... Although the jeans are tight right now, once the swelling has gone they'll be good! In saying that, a friend gave me a pair of work trousers in a uk 12 and I wore those to work, no probs!

Oh and nannies, none of us are gaining anything near 50 or 60lb! No way! We got this! And we got each other! (Sorry for the cheese!)