Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Meg, I want that homemade orange viniagrette dressing recipe! I have been really stressing lately, and I am losing sleep which really discourages me because all my healthy routines start to slip when that happens. I am so frustrated right now! How do you guys hold it together when you don't get enough sleep? Any suggestions? I find that I suddenly don't have the energy to exercise, and I crave carbs like crazy... argh!

Orange vinaigrette:

Whisk together with a fork:

juice of 1 orange (around 1/2 cup)

1 teaspoon of mustard (creole, Dijon, or hot/sweet)

If you're going to use salt and pepper, put it in now--I didn't use it, and it was still delicious!

Then whisk in 1/8 c of good-quality olive oil. YUM!!

You can add any sort of herbs to this that you want--I like it straight up and with tarragon and/or a few finely chopped chives. You can also finely chop or grate a shallot and add, but I sort of like the flavor of the dressing with just the orange juice and olive oil--it's really tasty.

Meg, I want that homemade orange viniagrette dressing recipe! I have been really stressing lately, and I am losing sleep which really discourages me because all my healthy routines start to slip when that happens. I am so frustrated right now! How do you guys hold it together when you don't get enough sleep? Any suggestions? I find that I suddenly don't have the energy to exercise, and I crave carbs like crazy... argh!

Lila,

I am really suffereing in the sleeping area at the moment ... and yes, it has effected my motivation to go to the gym. So, I have stopped logging carbs! I get in 'good carbs' and it is making a big difference to my mood, energy and sleep. I have come to realise that under 50g of carbs is not good for ME! Another thing I ry to do, whne possible, is to just sit down and 'have a whiff' - just do nothing for 5 mintutes or so. That gives me a little mental boost! Sleep is such an important factor to our lives, and when it is disrupted it makes a huge difference.

Do you know why you can't sleep... stress, worrry? If you can pinpoint the reason, then sometimes that helps ... at least it does for me. Hugs!

Hey all! That mean ole scale is still being a jerk to me, still am not seeing the lowest number that I saw while I was sick with a GB attack where I lost 4 "pounds" in one day, I know it wasn't real but still it was so cool to hit a lower number. Anyway, haven't legit lost down to that number yet BUT, about 3 weeks ago I started running and people are really starting to comment! Asking me if I've lost weight (strangers who aren't in-the-know), telling me that you can really tell changes in my body, and some of my clothes are definitely fitting differently! So, I really recommend running! And TRX, as that has definitely contributed to my overall tone and strength. Actually, I'm kinda anxious right now about that because I had to quit my TRX this week for $$ reasons, it was just too expensive on top of my gym membership and I'm afraid of losing all of the toning and strength gains I've made. I know myself well enough that I know I need to be in guided classes in order to adhere to proper workouts. But, anyway, running! Woohoo!! =)

Orange vinaigrette:

Whisk together with a fork:

juice of 1 orange (around 1/2 cup)

1 teaspoon of mustard (creole, Dijon, or hot/sweet)

If you're going to use salt and pepper, put it in now--I didn't use it, and it was still delicious!

Then whisk in 1/8 c of good-quality olive oil. YUM!!

You can add any sort of herbs to this that you want--I like it straight up and with tarragon and/or a few finely chopped chives. You can also finely chop or grate a shallot and add, but I sort of like the flavor of the dressing with just the orange juice and olive oil--it's really tasty.

Mmmmm, this sounds like it would also be an amazing marinade for chicken, or the dressing for a chicken salad, mmmmm!!

:-) And it's quick and cheap, and really super low sodium, which I personally prefer now--which makes me laugh, since I was quite the salt queen pre-surgery!!

I'm at a legit 191 now, so really only one pound from goal--DANG IT!! I've been eating a lot more vegetables since my recent visits to farmers' markets, and I plan to keep doing that, mostly because I LOVE how they taste! I did eat some bacon yesterday that did NOT sit comfortably in my sleeve--a first for bacon--and had a couple bites of chicken with some hummus at one of our favorite Mediterranean restaurants, and that chicken HURT--I seriously thought I was going to have to go be sick but happily it resolved after around 15 minutes of pure agony. Ridiculous amount of pain over a couple bites of chicken. Lesson learned--I don't know if I ate too fast or if it was the chicken, but I'm wondering if maybe my not eating much meat/chicken/fish is having a negative effect on my ability to digest it when I do eat it, if that makes sense. Can you work your way out of being able to digest particular foods?

I don't know. I'm pretty happy being an unintentional vegetarian; I didn't set out to eat this way, but it's how my sleeve feels good, and I love the foods in a vegetarian diet. Plus I also like the "green" side of vegetarian eating--eating local, fresh-grown food and supporting local producers, etc. I'm flirting with jumping all the way into it, back to vegan. I think I probably will do that this summer, maybe not every single day, but I can totally anticipate eating that way during the hot muggy days down here on the Gulf! Cool, crisp salads, fresh fruit and veggie, no heavy food--sounds kind of fantastic! It's already hit 80 degrees here, and it's March.... imagine July or August.

Meg, are you eating veg sources of Protein? tofu, and other soy products, gluten, tempe , Beans, nuts and such? Dairy?

Meg, are you eating veg sources of Protein? tofu, and other soy products, gluten, tempe , Beans, nuts and such? Dairy?

Yes, mostly dairy and nuts, occasional Beans. But I'm thinking of upping my soy and dropping a bit of the dairy to see if it helps my stopped-up nose/ears that I've had since surgery!! I like soy milk and I really love tofu. Just experimenting, really.

I should know (from your previous posts), but I'm zonked tired right now--are you a vegan?

Lacto/ovo vegetarian. Still love my greek yogurt and a good soft boiled Omega 3 egg now and then.

Yeah, I'm pretty much doing the lacto-vegetarian thing. eggs don't sit happily in my sleeve--I keep trying the occasional bite of egg, and sleevie keeps telling me to stop. Milk and cheese and yogurt, however, are YUMMY! I'm on a kind of pimento cheese kick these days--love it on cucumber slices (stole the "cucumber slices instead of crackers" trick from Eggface).

@Meg: thank you for both the salad dressing recipe and the sleep suggestions!!! Both are awesome, I cannot wait to try that dressing!!!

My sleep issues are mostly due to stress, but it's so frustrating that when I need sleep the most, I can't seem to get it, boo :-(... I'm going to try meditation next, I think. Just 5 minutes before bed to see if it helps. Also, I am going to force myself to exercise even though I feel exhausted because I read that exercise helps regulate sleep...

@Globetrotter: way to go on the running and the increased fitness! I have had the same thing happen. My friend commented that he thought I had lost 30 lbs since I last saw him. (I didn't. I lost 10 lbs), but I did take up running. And another friend similarly asked me if I had lost a lot of weight: both were people who I haven't seen since I started running in January.... so I think there is something to it! Yays for running!

Hi ladies! I quit smoking 3 weeks ago today (Woohoo!) However I've had a 6.2lb weight gain since then. It's not just Water because this is the part of the month where i usually lose and next week starts that 4lb gain :( I am eating more but I think it's mostly my metabolism slowing down. It's really freaking me out. Anyone else quit smoking and how much bounce back did you see?

Y'all, I hit goal!! Seriously! I hit it on Friday but decided to see if it was just a low bounce or dehydration or something--but it was still there yesterday (my 11-month sleevaversary) and this morning, too, so I'm going to officially declare that I have reached goal! I just posted in the success column.

NOW, this goal isn't really my goal. This was a sort of "secondary" goal--first was to get to my dietician's goal, which was 212 and would have left me in the "overweight" category. My current weight of 190 was something I set because I remember being that weight, and it's comfortably within the "normal" BMI for my height. Now, I'd like to attain my size goal--I want to be a comfortable 10/12 (I'm currently a 12/14) and see about moving to "medium" clothing. I plan to get into exercising--really I do. I just hate it so much!!!! But I know that's what I should be doing, and I know I'll feel and look so much better if and when I just do it.

On the up side, it's getting much warmer, and summer around here means excellent produce available, so continuing a really healthy, veggie-centric diet is pretty easy to do (and tasty!). I'm hoping that over the summer, I can maybe drop 5-10 pounds and then see what my body wants to do.

So I'm going to keep posting here, if y'all don't mind, because I definitely have unmet goals that I'm still working on and still need/want encouragement on! (Have I said how much I hate to exercise?)

Meg... please don't leave this thread...lol... you have to stay here with us!

We NEED you!!

Congrats on getting that goal, what a great achievement! I've replied to you goal thread too... you've made my day! I love hearing that those last pesky pounds will eventually bugger off and leave us alone. xx

wahHOOO! Yeah Meg! It is SO awesome to hear that it CAN be done! =) =) And I had a good laugh too, I wonder if every single sleever has the Double Goal Standard - there is surgeon's goal and then our personal goal, and our personal goal always seems to be about 20 lbs less than surgeon's, lolol! I'm sadly not even to surgeon's yet (150), 17 lbs to go, and 40 till personal. Good for you - yay!!