Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Hey Meg, I'm going to be at Ft. Polk for 10 weeks, in high summer, any tips on how to cope with the hideous heat & humidity & mosquitos?

Congrats GT! I love your dates! Keep it up! ;)

Hey GT: YES. Off spray (they make a new kind that doesn't have any sort of scent) and hydration--take some of those packets of Crystal Light or Gatorade that you can mix into your Water bottle. I was just at a crawfish boil last night--YUM, by the way--and got my first mosquito bites of the season; then I found the can of Off and no more skeeters, so it definitely works.

More importantly, be sure you take some sunscreen that won't sweat off. I don't know what sorts of activities you'll be doing, but if you're going to be outside, sunscreen is a MUST. I like the Neutrogena "dry spray" stuff--I don't really even know I have it on after I apply it, but it works. I get the highest SPF I can find, as I have very fair skin, and I go through the "burn and peel" cycle without really tanning--dang it!

But yeah, hydration--last summer, I was still in losing mode, and I noticed that I definitely needed to be more mindful of drinking when it was hot. I also really love mixing in a little bit of fruit juice into my water--not enough to be like lemonade or orange ade or whatever, just enough to sort of flavor the Water. You might try squishing up some herbs (mint, fresh basil, or fresh lemon thyme) along with a piece of citrus into your water for added flavor punch and incentive to slurp. :-) I have found that just keeping a cup of ice water next to me here at my computer means I drink a lot more water--so proximity is part of the solution for me.

Oh, and good grief--I hopped on the scale this morning and I'm at 188--ME, at 188. And I'm not done yet, I don't think--I have a layer of stuff around my middle that's not just skin, plus some at the top inside of my thighs, so...

I have no idea about the end product here, but I guess I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and let it work itself out. I thought I'd really been much less careful lately (see post above regarding jelly beans!!), but good old sleevie is still doing it for me, I guess. We'll see. I have my 1-year sleevaversary coming up on the 18th and I can't wait to see what that 1-year total is. :-)

thought I would give a quick up date...

over the last couple of days I haven't been that good on the food choices that I have made... I take full responsibilty for this, and I don't feel guilty or bad about it - so, in a way that has to be a good thing? Starting to think like a 'normal' person? April is always a bad month... 3 family birthdays and Easter to contend with and these all include rubbish food.< /p>

Anyway, I have indulged in a bit of choc, a bit of cake and enjoyed each mouthful ... don't get me wrong, I haven't been living of this stuff, and my sleeve really has done a good job restricting what I can eat. Over the last week my cals have been up and down each day and the day after I have had 'treats' I find that I can't each much? Dunno what that is all about...

Funny thing is, that my scale is reading the lower end of my bounce range... why? I will keep an eye on this, but really? My body really does keep me second guessing... very confusing - and I'm not being ungrateful here, just my observations.

Oh, I did the whole of lent without a biscuit too... actually, I still haven't had one even though I bought some lovely ginger bread biscuits!

Meg - well done on that all time low... sounds like your body will finish when it is good and ready...lol. Glad you are in a good place my lovely!

Hope everyone else is ok... and having a great Easter. Let me know how you all are... x

thought I would give a quick up date...

over the last couple of days I haven't been that good on the food choices that I have made... I take full responsibilty for this, and I don't feel guilty or bad about it - so, in a way that has to be a good thing? Starting to think like a 'normal' person? April is always a bad month... 3 family birthdays and Easter to contend with and these all include rubbish food.< /p>

Anyway, I have indulged in a bit of choc, a bit of cake and enjoyed each mouthful ... don't get me wrong, I haven't been living of this stuff, and my sleeve really has done a good job restricting what I can eat. Over the last week my cals have been up and down each day and the day after I have had 'treats' I find that I can't each much? Dunno what that is all about...

Funny thing is, that my scale is reading the lower end of my bounce range... why? I will keep an eye on this, but really? My body really does keep me second guessing... very confusing - and I'm not being ungrateful here, just my observations.

Oh, I did the whole of lent without a biscuit too... actually, I still haven't had one even though I bought some lovely ginger bread biscuits!

Meg - well done on that all time low... sounds like your body will finish when it is good and ready...lol. Glad you are in a good place my lovely!

Hope everyone else is ok... and having a great Easter. Let me know how you all are... x

Coops, I am soooooo proud of you and the Cookies...you are just awesome!!! WTG!!! We baked a cake for Easter and I got loud complaints when I wanted to swap applesauce for the oil (it was a box cake, throw in some eggs, Water and OIL, but you can always swap applesauce...except the girls didn't know I do that until Easter and then my 9 year old complained enough that I just did the friggen oil!!! SHEESH!)

And GT glad to hear that you are doing better on not being so harsh on yourself. I agree with everyone else that we are own worst enemies when it comes to the negative talk. And yet we would never dare chastise someone else the way we do ourselves. Also I giggled at the pointy lips...gah who has THAT? Eeeewww! You are doing good fooling your dates into thinking you are eating...lol! The tricks of a true sleever. :-)

I went today and had blood drawn for my upcoming 18 months post-op check later this month. My PCP is an awesome guy and was genuinely happy for me. He asked me if exercising was easier now (I've been going to Curves for 8 solid years now....RELIGIOUSLY not occasionally) and my answer? "EVERYTHING IS EASIER WHEN YOU WEIGH -100LBS LESS!!!"

So true, so true!!! I will compose a big ole 18 month post-op update later this month after I see my surgeon.

Hey, you can also use any can of diet soda and make any boxed cake mix! Works perfectly! Alo a can of pumpkin. No eggs or oil required! Yummy!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Hey' date=' you can also use any can of diet soda and make any boxed cake mix! Works perfectly! Alo a can of pumpkin. No eggs or oil required! Yummy!

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

Never heard of this trick. Any change to texture or taste that would "clue in my Boys" that I was making healthier treats?

Hey y'all:

Sorry I've been MIA for a few--it's been a hectic time at work (it's the centennial of the founding of our university, so lots of extra programs, concerts, etc.). Down to 187 without really trying--so very strange--I honestly think it's the focus on veggies and fruit that's doing it. I don't eat a lot of cheese any more, either, so that might be helping (?). Most Protein now comes from vegetable sources (nuts, beans) and some dairy (milk, yogurt), but I eat a lot more vegetables and fruit than I have in a long time. I'm actually really looking forward to summer's bounty at the farmers' markets that I frequent.

Wednesday is my 1-year sleeve-aversary. I'm going to try my hardest to get 1 more pound off between now and then to Celebrate that date with 120 pounds GONE. 120 flipping pounds--off my body. I am SO INCREDIBLY GRATEFUL for this sleeve!!!!!

Hey Meg... wow... check you out qhooping that scales ass lady!! Loving it! Hoping you will achieve your 120lb loss for Wednesday... my goodness that is incredible! You've lost another person!

Glad maintance is working out too... and it sounds like you have it more than sussed with a busy schedule !

Good to hear some good news, there seems to be a lot of threads about stalls lately, so to hear an 'ole timer' still losing is really good and certainly picks me up!

I've had a weird couple of weeks.... April is a hard month on the food front, what with Easter, my dad's birthday, my daughter's birthday and my birthday (we share the same birthday, which is Meg's surgery date too!)... so you can see I have been surrounded by treats and sugary foods. I have been eating them too.... and I stopped logging for a while! Just to take a break as I was trying sooooo hard with no results - just needed some time out like I did over Christmas, and like Christmastime, I have continued to exercise as and when my back/groin allowed. This week I have been back to the boxing gym after a 10 day absence, but in that time I did walk my dog - a 2.2 mile circuit, several times.

Anyway, the weird thing is that, with all the sweets and simple carbs, my scales still remains in the same place! Still bouncing around the same numbers - 165-168lbs... I just don't get it. Ok, so the quantity is low and my cals in general are around the 1200 marker, but whatever I eat the scale just stays in the same place. I don't get it... at all!!

I did post some of my more recent observations, but the thread has disappeared in the abyss...lol... so if you don't mind I'll put them here to see what you think...

Recently I have been thinking about how my body is changing... I haven't lost a pound yet I am in a smaller size, top and bottom... I am starting to wonder if this is really it? if this is the weight that my body likes as I have been at this weight for 6mths+ It has also dawned on me the different shape I now have. My weight is mostly around my middle making me the apple... whereas, in my youth I was a classic pear. In my 'hayday' I wore a size UK14 ...sometimes a UK12 on top ... and I weighed a good 20lb less than I do now. i don't think it is the sizing as my wedding dress, which is 18yrs old fits me well... now, how does that work? I am twenty pounds heavier but in the same size?

Yea, I am confused - and frustrated by this.

So, I have been looking at other things to measure my success by... to try and remain positive, if that makes sense.

In saying all that, I don't think I am ready to stop trying... I still want to see my scale say 10stone something or 15*lbs... but I suppose I am getting a little less stressed about it at the moment. I am going to keep doing what I am doing and let my sleeve work its magic. I will log again, but not just yet. I suppose I am enjoying the 'freedom'!

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or opinions/ideas... please feel free to join in! Or do you feel the same way? Experienced the same train of thoughts?

Cheers all... hugs x

Coops ~ I too am at a point where I'm not focusing on lbs anymore. I am just taking it one day at a time. I did find out that I can't eat sugar due to an increase in my A1C level. It went up .3. LOL I should of known better. I was thinking that I wasn't necessarily diabetic any more. Well, I am still diabetic. That's ok. I have gone about 3 days with out sugar and I'm happy with that.

I have been hydrating myself and I find that by body is kinda spongy. It is really driving me crazy. I expected loose skin, but spongy flesh? LOL But I too am at 6 months and haven't really done much. I've also been thinking that this is it. But i like my body and am just going to work on getting in some exercise to tone it. Lately I have been avoiding exercise due to fatigue. Now I know that it was because I was dehydrated. I find it really hard to get in fluids. But the past weekend I've been drinking around 80 ozs of Water mixed with gatorade, low calorie. I'm just going to keep doing what i've been doing. ;)

@ Coops - I have totally noticed the same thing. I am now the same weight I was around the middle of my freshman year at college and lookking back at photos, my face was way way rounder back then. Also, I am a solid 20-30 pounds heavier than I was toward the end of high school and yet I can comfortably fit into some of the clothes I have saved.

BTW - I have recently discovered the truth about bread sliding. I can only eat half a chicken breast and yet feel full for a very long time. However I can wolf down an entire grilled cheese sandwich and half an hour later be interested in food again. BOO.

I'm jealous with the bread thing--I still can't eat it or anything like it (like crust on a quiche or Pasta or tortillas, for instance)--but I can eat chunky, oatmeal-based Cookies with no problem. Crazy sleeve!!! Just really does not like those refined flour-based foods. I ate a sugar cookie today, which I knew probably wouldn't feel too good, and I was right--it tasted really yummy but it HURT for like 30 minutes! No more of that, thank you very much.

I think y'all weigh more now at the same size because you're working out like fiends--you're muscle-y and toned (at least I think Coops is, from her pics--GT, haven't seen you yet!). I'm definitely not toned, and I'm feeling spongy like Dorrie--really kind of squishy in lots of places. Definitely getting smaller and can see the changes in my face and body; don't recognize myself in pictures yet, LOL; but I can't say I'm particularly "in shape." Thinner, yes. Healthier, hopefully. In better shape, nope. It's so bizarre to have absolutely no self-motivation for exercise!!!! Am I really just that lazy???

Meg ~ your not lazy. however, I have been struggling with exercising. I think it's because I haven't felt as good as before and just found out that I was dehydrated. So I'm trying to rehydrate myself. I am getting a little sad at my spongy skin, so I am working on just walking more, drinking lots of fluids, and keeping all the sugar out of my diet. I need to eat Protein first, veggies, and cut back on my starches.

sorry I got off track. You have done a great job! ;)

Hi ladies!

I'm right there with you all! My weightloss did great until the boyfriend moved in with me at 5 months out after surgery and while I haven't had a huge gain, I have managed to gain and lose the same 3 lbs for the past 6 months. I'd like to blame it on a stall, but truth is that I've not been doing what I should. I've finally gotten myself back on a decent workout routine and am now in the process of getting back to the VSG basics. Here's to meeting our goals in 2012!! Good luck to you all, I know you can do it!

~Robin