Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm Jenny. I'm from Berea, KY, 38 years old, and have 4 boys ages 9,10,13, and 16 (brother-in-law adopted). This is my first post!

I am in the "waiting for insurance" portion of this path and really nervous about whether they will approve. I work at a local college with educational grants that serve regional schools (Upward Bound, GEAR UP).

I've been married for almost 14 years and am very fortunate to have a very supportive husband and kids. I love outdoorsy stuff and have found that over the past several years my weight has kept me from doing much of the stuff I love.

I decided I wanted WLS after taking the boys camping for spring break and coming back with some really bad back pain and diagnosis of degenerative disk in my lower back.

I've been on the pre-op diet for about 3 weeks now and am loosing steadily but am really nervous about insurance. I plan to call them tomorrow to see where it stands.

Cool to hear the stories!

I'm 38 I am married with 2 beautiful children, ages 9&13. I have lost and gained the same 40 pounds about a dozen times throughout my life. My sister in law , her sister, and her mom all had the sleeve done about a year and a half ago, I have yo yoed twice since then. That's why I chose to have the sleeve done. I can not wait until Monday. That is my day. I'm 5'6 and weigh in at 220. My heaviest ever was just last week before the pre op diet , 226. I hope I can lose another 5 pounds before surgery. I can not wait to be a more active, healthy wife, and mom. I really love my life, I have great friends around me, and I feel like I live my life to the fullest, but there are things in which my weight holds me back. Like boating, or beaching it. I end up reluctantly going.... But feel like crap! I need to change that! I'm so sick of my weight holding me back from doing what my family or friends are doing. So, here I go! 3 more days to the new and improved me! I will update y'all after Monday! Please wish me luck, send prayers! I'm nervous as sh*t! Lol

Hi everyone! I'm Tyari (pronounced Ty-ARE-ee), 34 years old, single, no kids (by choice). I'm scheduled for surgery this Friday June 13th at 10:30am, checking in at 8:30am. My goal is to lose about 185 lbs.

I'm friendly, random, loyal, respectful, understanding and cooky ;-) I have 2 wonderful parents, a brother, sister in law, 2 handsome nephews and a fur baby - my one and a half year old Boston Terrier, Jack Russell Terrier mix Mali ;-) I love hanging out with my friends and going to the movies and hookah lounges, beach, shopping, getting manis/pedis, or just staying in and watching tv.

At age 21, I started piling on the weight as a result of a sedentary job and getting a car (no more walking to and from stores and bus stops). I was a curvy 190 lbs/size 14 and ballooned up rather quickly. In 2008 I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and anxiety as well as lupus. The effects of depression and other facts propelled me to my highest weight of 370 lbs.

I have Kaiser Permanente and I started my process May 23, 2013, that was the day I went to the bariatric orientation. After that I was required to go to a lifestyle and weight management class, which was a week later. Part of KP's requirements is that the patient have 3 months of independent weight loss counseling or supervised diet documented. I didn't have anything like that so I did KP's Ask a Dietitian once a week to meet that part of it. After that, I had to meet with the bariatric dr. to get admitted to the Options program (a 6 month long once a week nutritional and bariatric educational program). I started Options on Oct 14, 2013 and completed it on April 7, 2014. I wasn't able to lose the 10% of my body weight that we are required to lose during the Options program so I had to meet with the dr again after completion of the program and he just told me to not gain any weight and allowed me to go forward with the process. Then I had to do a fitness test - I basically had to walk around the building 5 times. After that, I was called for blood work. Once that was done, about a week or so later they gave me my authorization number so I called Pacific Bariatric Surgical Medical Group and scheduled my appointments with the internist, psychologist and surgeon - they book them all on the same day, back to back. After that, my case went into final review and the surgeon signed off on it and they called me on May 30th to schedule me surgery!

It's so good to read everyone's stories and see how different we are but we all have the same goal - to be healthy and happy!

I am going to put it all out there.

At the age of 4 or 5, I was the victim of serious sexual trauma. Years later, at the ages of 10-12, I was fairly developed and had a body of a girl years older. As a result, at the age of 10-12, I began getting approached by older teens and men. In my mind, I was still very much a child plus I had had this traumatic experience when I was younger. I didn't like the added attention. I didn't like having men yelling at me on the street. I didn't like men or older teens making sexual comments about me. I started to hide and I found that extra weight allowed the best protection.

food became a comfort and a way to escape for me. By the time I was in high school, I was overweight but still quite athletic. I participated in high school sports and activities but when it came down to dating, I never did that. I never wanted to feel like a sexual being. Although I would be asked out, I never said yes.

This went on until my mid-twenties when my sexual awareness finally clicked on. By that time, I had already missed so many opportunities that other women had experienced (in the dating world). That made me even sadder so I turned back to my constant companion--food.

I have been through counseling for the sexual abuse. I have talked to my doctor about my experiences and how it has affected me. I know that I will probably spend the rest of my life dealing with that trauma. But, I am tired of allowing my weight to shield me from so many great experiences in the world, including love and sex.

So, I am going to take advantage of this tool. I firmly believe that it will help me rid myself of my constant need to hide. It's just one component in many things that I will need to do, but I think it's time to say goodbye to this particular friend.

I am going to put it all out there.

At the age of 4 or 5, I was the victim of serious sexual trauma. Years later, at the ages of 10-12, I was fairly developed and had a body of a girl years older. As a result, at the age of 10-12, I began getting approached by older teens and men. In my mind, I was still very much a child plus I had had this traumatic experience when I was younger. I didn't like the added attention. I didn't like having men yelling at me on the street. I didn't like men or older teens making sexual comments about me. I started to hide and I found that extra weight allowed the best protection.

food became a comfort and a way to escape for me. By the time I was in high school, I was overweight but still quite athletic. I participated in high school sports and activities but when it came down to dating, I never did that. I never wanted to feel like a sexual being. Although I would be asked out, I never said yes.

This went on until my mid-twenties when my sexual awareness finally clicked on. By that time, I had already missed so many opportunities that other women had experienced (in the dating world). That made me even sadder so I turned back to my constant companion--food.

I have been through counseling for the sexual abuse. I have talked to my doctor about my experiences and how it has affected me. I know that I will probably spend the rest of my life dealing with that trauma. But, I am tired of allowing my weight to shield me from so many great experiences in the world, including love and sex.

So, I am going to take advantage of this tool. I firmly believe that it will help me rid myself of my constant need to hide. It's just one component in many things that I will need to do, but I think it's time to say goodbye to this particular friend.

Welcome! I'm so sorry about the trauma you experienced as such a young child. I was very touched by your story and just felt compelled to tell you I am certain you will discover a whole new person through this journey. You will discover many new things about yourself and an inner strength that will help you claim the joys in life you deserve!

Best of luck to you!

Thank you, Former_VBG. My doctor is cautioning me to be patient about the process. But, I am tired of waiting and thinking that with time, things will change. I am ready to make change happen for myself.

Thanks again.

I am 52 yrs old. I have been approved for my surgery and the dr are waiting for me to schedule. For some reason I am hesitant to schedule. My husband isn't totally on board because he knows someone who almost died years ago getting the lapband. That is probably what is holding me back.

How can I move forward? I am in Texas and will have my surgery at UT Southwestern with Dr. Lee. Anyone else use UT SW?

So I think it is maybe time to stop lurking. I'm soon to be 50, happily married for 29 years, successful in my work life, with two grown children and one granddaughter (in the pic with me...from Dec 2012)....everything in my life is good...not sunshine and bluebirds good every day, but I love my life! And yet...the one thing that I haven't been able to get under control is my weight. I look at this as an incredible opportunity to relearn my relationship with food, figure out what makes me tick and to have the energy/fitness to play with my grandchildren. I look forward to sharing highs, lows and nug days with everyone. Beth

My name is holly 34 divorced 11 yr old daughter and a 13 year old son they are my world. I work at a middle school in cafeteria during the school year and custodial in the summer. My parents are the biggest part of my support system. Don't know what I'd do without them.

I love classic cars (I have a lime green 73 nova) music (mostly rock) and tattoos (i have 13)

I had lap band surgery in Oct 2009. Highest weight was 306. Lost 50 pre op and 58 after surgery. Started having problems and slowly the weight creeped back on. I weighed 282 when they decided it needed to come out. They removed it may 13 2014. I decided to go with the sleeve and they called me Tuesday and said surgery Aug 5th. I had lost 12 lbs on dieticians diet and they said I'm good to go. Super excited for the next chapter of my life

My name is Mardi. I am 65 years old, two daughters, 5 grandchildren. I have been married 34 years but it is not a particularly happy marriage. My husband is quite distant. I have a bachelors degree in business management and professional communications and a masters degree in educational technology. I recently retired from my last position and I have not decided what I will do with my life from now on. I love genealogy and plan to take courses and possibly learn enough to become a board certified professional genealogist. I have done workshops and seminars on various topics and would love to create some seminars on genealogy.

I have been overweight, obese, and morbidly obese all of my life. At one point I was down to 142 but two years later I was back in the 200's. I have had both of my knees replaced and am in the early stages of diabetes. I also have sleep apnea. I really want to restart my life and, for the first time in my life, be thin! I don't even know what that means -- really. My support system consists of a good friend that is most encouraging and would do anything I need. My husband is supportive to a point but the first thing he did when he heard I was thinking about the surgery was find a book that someone wrote showing that they were totally against the surgery. Real supportive, huh? I have not told my daughters or anyone else. I don't want to fall on my face AGAIN. Not that I am going to fail, but I don't want to jinx myself. I am in the middle of the preliminary tests, etc. I do not have a date or anything at this point. I am excited, scared, overwhelmed at times, and at the same time looking at this as a huge opportunity. I have tremendous respect and admiration for everyone on this board who have succeeded in this journey. I only hope I can be one of them some day soon.

www.whimpostop.com is my blog I am starting to follow my VSG process by Dr. Garcia on July 3rd, 2014.

I will document everything here, stats, products, any concerns, complications or inspirational scale and non scale victories.
If you have your surgery around this date, I would love for you to subscribe to my blog and keep up with my progress and share yours as well!
Megan

My family calls me Gibble. A name started by my first grand-daughter. I now have 5 grand children and my weight of 315 lbs was stopping me from doing things with my grands. So I decieded to go for VSG surgery. I'm 61 yrs. old. I am 4 months post op and down 44 lbs, 2 1/2" around my chest and waist. I have a lot more energy and feel alot better. Still having trouble walking for more than 5 min. Not sure if this is due to neuropathy in feet and legs which was present before surgery or the fact that after surgery I had numbness in my left thigh that continues today. Anyway I have found that I can do Water aerobics and go 3x'/week and love it :D . Never thought I'd say that about exercise, but it's really fun!

Hi everybody. I am 30 years old. Mother of two great kids. They are an 11 year old boy and 7 year old girl. I have been married to my husband for 2 years but have been together for 18! I am a quality technician in a factory. Not the greatest job but not too bad. I love the people I work with. My life is hectic but wouldn't be life without stress and struggles sometimes.

Hi, I'm Stephanie. I am 62, married no kids unless you count the cat and the dog.I have 5 nieces and one nephew and "almost" 3 great-nieces.

I am scheduled for my sleeve this coming Thursday (July 3rd) with Dr Kevin Krause at Wm Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak MIch. I've been overweight my entire life and I finally decided that I could not fight the weight on my own anymore. So after consulting my doc, I started the 6 month waiting period last November. I am excited, nervous and every other emotion you can think of today. My husband is very supportive as well as my friends. I am currently on the pre-op diet and have lost 5 or 6 pounds.

I am a bookkeeper at a promotional company. I enjoy reading and movies and I am trying to find some new hobbies to keep my hands and mind busy and not thinking about food.

Thanks for reading and in a few days I will be a real "loser"!

I'm a 25-year-old VGS patient. Had my surgery June 25, 2014.

I was born in Westchester, Illinois, which is a suburb of Chicago. My family and I moved to Alpharetta when I was 7 years old. Since then, I have lived in Madrid, Spain; St. Louis, Missouri; Charleston, West Virginia; Cumming, Georgia; and now Woodstock/Holly Springs, GA.

I began taking Spanish in 4th grade, because at that time, it was required. I continued all the way through middle school, high school, and my final year in college at Saint Louis University.

While in high school (magnet school for math/science & visual/performing arts), I focused on acting and technical theater. My greatest joy in theater was acting as stage manager for the school productions. I learned and matured a lot during those years. There, I also found the inspiration for my future aspirations. Señora Nott made me truly fall in love with Spanish and helped me learn that I wanted to become a Spanish teacher. It is after her that I model myself and my Spanish classroom.

During the summer following my junior year of high school, I attended the Governor's Honors Program (GHP) in Valdosta. I spent several hours 6 days a week learning about education (my "minor") and Spanish (my "major"). I met some amazing people there and improved my Spanish more than I ever thought could be possible in just 6 short weeks.

Everyone asks why I chose Saint Louis University (SLU) for college. Really, it's quite simple. I had no idea where I wanted to go. All I knew was that I wanted to major in Spanish. I received a piece of mail from SLU's campus in Madrid, Spain, asking me to study abroad. Not only did that sound like an amazing opportunity, but they even offered me a bit of financial aid! How could I pass that up?!

I spent my entire freshman year of college in Spain. First semester, I lived with a host family, along with 3 other girls from SLU. Second semester, I lived in a SLU-rented (but still "real") apartment with 6 other girls from SLU. While there, I was able to travel to Segovia, Sevilla, Toledo, and Paris. My one and only wish about studying abroad is that I had done it later in college. Moving away from home, having to make new friends, needing the learn the ropes of college... all in a NEW COUNTRY was a bit much for me to handle. But I did it. And the experience was incredible.

After returning to Missouri from Spain, I spent my remaining 3 years at their home campus, where I earned a Bachelor's in Spanish and a Bachelor's in Education, graduating in 2011.

My now-fiancee, Eric, proposed to me at my college graduation dinner in front of friends and family. Clearly, I said yes. Then we decided I'd move in with him in Charleston, West Virginia and find a teaching job. Well, I'd try anyway. I lived with him for 5 months and couldn't find a job. Then he got deployed to Afghanistan (he was in the Army until recently) in April of 2012.

At that point, I decided it was better for me to move back to Georgia to be near friends and family and try once again to find a job. I didn't find one right away. But last minute, before the start of the 2012-13 school year, I got a call from a high school nearby. One of their Spanish teachers had to go on medical leave. Lucky for me, I got a month-long substitute position actually teaching Spanish. It was such a wonderful experience, and it just reaffirmed that teaching was what I KNEW I wanted to do with my life.

Once that gig was up, I immediately got a call from my current principal. They needed a full-time Spanish teacher. What?! This is it! I got a job! I started there in September of 2012, and my first year was INCREDIBLE. Thankfully, I was re-hired. I could not be more blessed. This school is full of wonderful students, teachers, staff, and administration.

Eric returned from Afganistan in February of 2013, surprising me at school! We lived in Cumming from the time I came back to Georgia until September 2013. He was honorably discharged from the Army during the Summer of 2013 due to medical problems caused by his several deployments. Since I was re-hired, we bought a house in Woodstock, GA to be closer to where I work.

Do we have a kids? In December 2013, we adopted a puppy from the humane society. We're not sure what she is (looks to us like a pitbull - she's light brindle colored), but her name is Peaches, and she is the sweetest baby ever!

Besides teaching Spanish, I love spending time with my doggie and I enjoy photography. Teaching is my passion, though, and I love my students with all my heart (well, what's left of it after Eric and Peaches).

Nice to meet everyone! Glad to have this support system!