Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there! I'm a 57 y/o mom of 6, grandmom of 6 (soon to be 8), and a medical transcriptionist trainer. I've been married for 35+ years and my hubs had roux en y in Dec 2013 (down 85 pounds so far). I first decided I wanted WLS about 3 years ago, but my family and even my husband were against it. They had watched me for years and knew I loved the hard work of DIY home improvements, and they had also seen me lose weight several times - they felt I could do it again. But a few things combined to make hard work very difficult - hitting 50+, working at an extremely sedentary job, and continuing to gain about 3-5 pounds a year. Eventually the hard work I loved became very painful, especially for my back. Last summer my husband and I decided we both wanted WLS and applied for insurance to cover it. He got approved, but I was denied, twice. As 2014 rolled around, a change in insurance coverage meant I was able to qualify (after 6 months medically supervised weight loss). My first appointment with the surgeon is Aug 13, and I'm both excited and wary/not looking forward to the liquid diet. I'm an emotional eater, I eat to feel better. I'm not sure how I'll deal with it when eating isn't an alternative. I'm reading cognitive behavior books that are helpful with changing my thoughts, trying to prepare as best I can.

I wasn't fat my whole life, but felt like I was anyway because I always had a tummy. Skinny kid with a tummy. I gained weight a few pounds a year over several years, intermittently losing between 10 and 30 pounds, then gradually gaining it back. My only weight related health problems are sleep apnea and fatty liver disease. I don't know how I can weigh this much and still have low blood pressure and normal blood sugar, especially with my sweet tooth and love of bread. But I know I can't count on my relatively good health to continue indefinitely without losing the excess weight. I'm looking forward to sleeve surgery and will make the most of it as a tool to get healthier. I'm going to need all the help I can get and am so grateful for the people on Bariatric Pal and all of the great encouragement and information. Thank you in advance for sharing what you know.

Welcome Lorammy! You may want to check out all the "pre-surgery" and post surgery" gastric sleeve posts for insights on what you'll be going through. I also began as a sleeve patient. But my insurance at the time only supported gastric bypass or lap band surgeries. I had a gastric bypass in December 2013. After a harrowing first few months following surgery, I'm appreciating what I had done to me now. I look forward to YOUR many posts!

I'm from Calgary, Alberta. I have two sisters and a niece and a nephew and a Dad. And aunts, uncles, and cousins.

I am interesting, smart, loyal, hard-working, a great friend, dependable, adventurous, silly, funny, fun.

I AM more than my weight. I AM more than my surgery. I have dreams, goals, desires, hopes, frustrations, tears, love, forgiveness, ambitions.

And starting now, I'm living for them.

Edited by BarnGirlWK

I'm a 41 y/o divorced female living in the beautiful city of San Diego, CA. I have a 20 y/o son who is currently in bootcamp for the US Navy and I couldn't be more proud of him. I work f/t for a heavy truck repair facility, this is the longest job I've ever held (8 years). I love the beach, talking walks, conversations w/ the elders in my family as well as the children and a really good movie. Looking for a person to workout with as I just recently joined the YMCA!! Today is day one, back to the grind...

Hi! I'm 54, married and have one son. He is 20 and the light of my life! I have 2 yellow labs who are like my furry daughters. My husband and I have been married 25 years next July, do we are going to France to celebrate!

I'm an executive in Human Resources and love my work. I used to be an avid Water person until I gained so much weight. I'm looking forward to surfing, Water skiing and windsurfing once my 100 lb anchor is gone!

I have 2 sisters whom I adore, and 2 brothers I love very much. My younger sister had a gastric sleeve about 8 months ago and has reached her goal weight! She is my inspiration.

God bless!

My name is erica and I have been married for almost 12 years with 4 children. I am 37 years old and a california native.

I love animals, especially dogs, I have 5!

I havent had my surgery yet but im hoping to have it end of september or october.

I'm Amanda 38 mother to 5kids ages 22 18 10 3 and 2 I'm from Dublin Ireland and married my hubby in Vegas. I'm sleeved 7 mths self pay in Poland only 49 lbs down not happy about that .I work nights as I don't believe in having children and having someone else raise them and I love to read and watch old movies, I like exercising now lol I have 2 parents but we don't get along and my mother in law hates me!

Hi, my name is Vicki, and I

Live in Nebraska and spend winters in Texas in the Rio Grande Valley. I am 66 (oldest sleever) married 40 yrs 2 children an 4 grands. I lost 55# in 2002 for our sons wedding. I have found it all back an 20 more. Back hurts, knees hurt, no ambition, I need to get Better health or I will never see 70! I have had a hysterectomy, rotator cuff, 2 foot surgeries an now the sleeve Sept 9th in Overland Park. KS. I also am borderline diabetic, high BP, RLS, high cholesterol an take 40 mg of Nexium. I am hoping all these RX will soon not be needed. Know folks that lost their (jolly) when they lost a lot....sure hoping that doesn't happen to me cuz I'm the live wire in all our groups. Good luck to all of you!

Hi everyone

Found this app today while researching and looking for people on the same boat.

Im 33, live in Australia. Unmarried, no children and 18 months ago my twin sister passed away that got me thinking and doing some very different things in life.

Was recently diagnosed with POS after knowing there was nothing wrong in my baby making bits.

Been thinking about this for about 2 years but only just recently decided about a sleeve not a lap band.

Took my bloods today and have my appointment with surgeon 17th sept. Can gave surgery about 6-8 weeks from then.

I love food.. Im really hungry way too much.. Stomach pain hungry and comport eat a bit more than i should.

I love cycling.. Rode 350km in 3 days for a fundraiser in June and another event in aug.. And look look terrible in Lyra! That's one of my moments that broke the camels back. But even riding 50km most days my weight has not budged. Last year after doing Michelle bridges a couple times i only lost 9kg then put i back on after a week holiday back home.

Im 100kg (220pounds) but actually many people think i only look about 80kg.. Mostly in my

I have a partner of 4 years and says he loves me the way i am. He also is about 220 pounds and has prostate cancer. He wont get it treated, so let's hope it doesn't grow.

He was horrified that I'd actually do something so drastic like get surgery.. Yet he jokes how i can't stop eating and always hungry.

I'm flying interstate to see surgeon then i think I'll tell him how serious I've become. Anyone else hidden your plans from your partner?

Mmmm that doesn't sound good dos it.

I want to have a child soon and at 100kg don't want to think about gaining heaps of weight then end up like a house. So the time is now to get this life changing decisions under control.

Thanks for listening :-)

post-233187-14100004474562_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone

Im 33, live in Australia. Unmarried, no children and 18 months ago my twin sister passed away that got me thinking and doing some very different things in life.

Was recently diagnosed with POS after knowing there was nothing wrong in my baby making bits.

Been thinking about this for about 2 years but only just recently decided about a sleeve not a lap band.

Took my bloods today and have my appointment with surgeon 17th sept. Can gave surgery about 6-8 weeks from then.

I love food.. Im really hungry way too much.. Stomach pain hungry and comport eat a bit more than i should.

I love cycling.. Rode 350km in 3 days for a fundraiser in June and another event in aug.. And look look terrible in Lyra! That's one of my moments that broke the camels back. But even riding 50km most days my weight has not budged. Last year after doing Michelle bridges a couple times i only lost 9kg then put i back on after a week holiday back home.

Im 100kg (220pounds) but actually many people think i only look about 80kg.. Mostly in my

I have a partner of 4 years and says he loves me the way i am. He also is about 220 pounds and has prostate cancer. He wont get it treated, so let's hope it doesn't grow.

He was horrified that I'd actually do something so drastic like get surgery.. Yet he jokes how i can't stop eating and always hungry.

I'm flying interstate to see surgeon then i think I'll tell him how serious I've become. Anyone else hidden your plans from your partner?

I want to have a child soon and at 100kg don't want to think about gaining heaps of weight then end up like a house. So the time is now to get this life changing decisions under control.

Hi everyone

My name is Morgan. I am 33 years old, never been married, not interested in having children, but I guess if I fall madly in love I might consider :-) I graduated pharmacy school 4 years ago, after being in college for 12 years. My weight has fluctuated my whole life, but I did manage to get to a "normal" weight once...unfortunately becoming anorexic for 6 months. Since then the weight came back with a vengeance, and I hit my highest weight this year at 320lbs. I am a fairly physically active person, I ride and show horses, and my job puts me on my feet for 8 hours a day.

Having this surgery had always been on my mind since a friend in pharmacy school had it done. She looks fabulous, and says it was the best decision she has ever made!

It wasn't a single moment that made me pursue the decision to have surgery, but a bunch of little things. I developed plantar fasciitis, so work became extremely painful every night. My horse's back would always be sore after I rode him. My love life had dried up substantially. I just felt tired ALL the time. I attend burning man every year, and I found that I just couldn't keep up with all my friends. I was just becoming a sad person, with no bright expectations in my future. And, like it or not, our physical appearance matters in social situations, even in career advancement (especially in a health profession!)

So I finally jumped through all the hoops, and had my surgery 9/2/14. HW 320, SW 298. I'm still so afraid to get on the scale to see my current weight, but it hasn't even been a week yet.

I had my surgery at St Luke's in Phoenix, by Dr Juarez. The Bridges Center is wonderful!

Hi everyone My name is Waneta. I got a new phone over the weekend and was looking for an app to help me with tracking my food since. I'm having my surgery on September 23rd. I'm a 35 year old mother and wife of 4 children. My children are older and I really got to the point I'm not happy with the size I am. I don't like taking full body pictures only my face since it's not as round and big as my body. I went today for my pre op appointments and I can't wait to start this journey.

Great idea. This is me. Stephanie 47 married 26 yrs to my very best friend. 24yo son and 21yo daughter. I am a 911 dispatcher (23 yrs). I would like to blame weight gain on stress but really I started gaining weight after having kids and some medical probs. thought I had a handle on my body then I broke my back. 10 yrs with lots of yo-yo dieting and this is where I am. I see myself in the mirror and I think who is that. When did I lose control. Yes I am a control freak. My daughter is getting married next yr. ( my baby..when did she grow up) My husband is turning 50 and we are planning a trip to Austraila. I want to be around for grand kids and be able to play on the floor and be able to get up. I want to climb a flight of stairs and not be out of breath. This is a great time in medicine. Grateful for the surgery. Really really grateful for this support.

Hubby and I love to travel. I am more proud then I can express of my kids. We have 4 dogs and 2 cats. I dream of living on a small farm with a couple cows maybe a pig some chickens and those cute little fainting goats ( they crack me up).

Name is Sabrina 47 years old. Been overweight most of my life. Having gastro sleeve surgery on Wed Sept 10. Excited

Hi! My name is Angela and I live in Oklahoma. Been overweight pretty much my whole life. Only one "successful" weightloss on my own of around 75lbs through the Metabolic Research Center. But the minute I stopped taking their supplements and eating regular food, it'll all came back on plus now, another 30lbs!

I've thought of doing wls for years and just never made the first steps. Recently, I've watched an extremely overweight coworker deal with some extreme medical issues, for the second time in 3 years, that have been brought on by his weight. It honestly scared me to think that that could be me.

I always thought I'd go with the band because it seemed the safest to me. But after attending a seminar and listening to the surgeon go over all the pros and cons, I started leaning more toward the sleeve. My first consult with the surgeon validated my reasons so here I am!

I'm currently in the early stages of pre-op but I'm super excited. I've got to lose 38lbs before he'll schedule it so that and my sleep study are the only things holding me back. According to my scale at home this morning, I'm down almost 11lbs! My goal is to be ready for surgery no later than the first week of November. I work for a major cell phone carrier so time off after that is impossible until January.

Anyone else having to lose before the surgery? I'd love a partner to share meal ideas and successes with!

HW: 380.5

CW: 369.9

GW (pre-op): 340

GW (post-op): 180