Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beef Snack

Hey All,

I've gotten tired of snacking on cottage cheese, cheese sticks, greek yogurt, and canned roast beef. So I decided to try and actually cook something a bit more hearty. It made 6 portions that have been put into small storage containers for easy grab, heat and eat Snacks.

1# ground beef (93% lean)

1/2 C ricotta cheese (simply kraft reduced fat)

3oz mozzarella, shredded (part skim)

1 C pizza sauce (ragu homestyle)

salt, pepper, garlic salt, italian seasoning to taste

Fry the beef and drain off any fat, and return to pan. Add the cheeses and pizza sauce, stir until melted. Add the seasonings to your taste preference.

A 1/2 C serving has about 29gms of Protein. I didn't calculate any of the other stuff, so if you want that part you'll have to do the legwork. Using spaghetti sauce would work well, too, I just didn't have any of it on hand.

That sounds good, like a lasagna without noodles! I also found these turkey sausage bites (can't remember who makes them, maybe Old Wisconsin)? They are little sausage nuggets and were pretty good on Protein. I try to keep a bag at the office for when I'm tempted to roam the office in the afternoon at about 2:30 looking for the candy dishes. smile.png

Mmmm. I'm gonna try that this week! Sounds yummy and I'm struggling right now because of eating the same things over and over.

three words....frozen turkey meatballs...

they take minutes in the microwave...jarred sauce and a sprinkle of parm cheese...yummy

They have gotten me through lots of low Protein days!

Hey All,

I've gotten tired of snacking on cottage cheese, cheese sticks, greek yogurt, and canned roast beef. So I decided to try and actually cook something a bit more hearty. It made 6 portions that have been put into small storage containers for easy grab, heat and eat Snacks.

Fry the beef and drain off any fat, and return to pan. Add the cheeses and pizza sauce, stir until melted. Add the seasonings to your taste preference.

A 1/2 C serving has about 29gms of Protein. I didn't calculate any of the other stuff, so if you want that part you'll have to do the legwork. Using spaghetti sauce would work well, too, I just didn't have any of it on hand.

YUMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Which frozen meatballs do you use? I've never really liked ground turkey anything but am willing to give them a try? Considering the last three weeks I've been on shakes, yogurt and applesauce I'm sure a lot of things will taste better than I thought they would :)

I'd like to find some low carb frozen meatballs to keep on hand.... of course I'm sure it's better to make up my own batch so might do that on the weekend. I start my Phase III stage on Thursday which will include 3 meals per day with 1 1/2 to 2 oz Protein each plus 1 oz fruit/veggies.

Thanks.

three words....frozen turkey meatballs...

they take minutes in the microwave...jarred sauce and a sprinkle of parm cheese...yummy

They have gotten me through lots of low Protein days!

This is now my fave hot lunch!

I hate to get too far off track from the OP, but turkey meatballs are great and one of the first meats that I could easily tolerate. I buy the butterball brand, 12 in a pack, and use my food saver to make packs of three for the freezer. I am still a little wary of ground beef, but soon I hope!

Hey All,

I made this for dinner tonight with several small portions left over! It's awesome. This dish doesn't know if it wants to be "faux-sagna" or crustless skillet pizza, so I added a few sliced olives at the last minute. GOOOOD stuff!! Thanks for the recipe!

I hate to get too far off track from the OP, but turkey meatballs are great and one of the first meats that I could easily tolerate. I buy the butterball brand, 12 in a pack, and use my food saver to make packs of three for the freezer. I am still a little wary of ground beef, but soon I hope!

I was told to use ground bison because it's easier to digest. So far so good! You can make some meatballs out of it and freeze them separately before you bag them up. ?

I was told to use ground bison because it's easier to digest. So far so good! You can make some meatballs out of it and freeze them separately before you bag them up. ?

I have heard good things about buffalo/bison, and I see it on the menu in restaurants, but I am kind of scared of it! I am not adventurous with meat or fish. I may just have to try it though because ground beef isn't working for me yet. Thanks for the tip, Dooter!

I make homemade meatballs with lean ground beef - honestly, the nutritional values are nearly as good as turkey meatballs if you use 93/7 beef or leaner.

I don't really follow a set recipe - generally 1 lb beef, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1 egg, finely diced onion, some garlic to taste, italian seasoning . . . I like to bake my meatballs rather than fry in a pan. They are great and we always freeze the leftovers. A good trick is to freeze them on a cookie sheet and then put them in a ziploc bag - that way they are individually frozen and not stuck together.

Sounds great Megan, and I agree it's better to make your own and 93% beef shows as lean, if not leaner, than a lot of ground turkey brands. I'm

curious to see if my stomach behaves any differently though. I did buy some Farm Rich turkey meatballs in Walmart yesterday - just because I saw them and we are in the middle of moving so I figured it would be easier to be able to just heat them up for now. Haven't tried them yet though so will post after I do.