Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difference In Pre-post Gastric Sleeve

For those who have been sleeve. Is being sleeved anything like you expected or imagined? In what ways is it different for you? I wonder if I have a realistic view.

It's exactly what I expected, wanted and hoped for. I can eat, and make my own choices, I just cannot physically eat very much, so it forces Portion Control on you which is what my biggest problem was pre-sleeve

It is exactly what I was hoping for, too, and actually more--the volume restriction forces me to think about what I eat, quality-wise as well as quantity-wise, and that helps me make good decisions. I know I don't have room for junk, and I know my sleeve doesn't really tolerate junk food very comfortably, so I avoid it.

What I was not expecting was the freedom from worrying about dropping dead of a heart attack, the benefit of the feeling of being in control, the lack of self-consciousness because I'm not the biggest person in the room any more--I didn't really consider how much being sleeved would positively affect my mental health and outlook on life. Happy bonus!

I was not expecting how little I can eat or how satisfied I would be with just a little. I had always eaten until I felt uncomfortably full and I haven't done that since surgery, first because I didn't want to hurt myself and now because it is habit. I also was not expecting to lose my sweet tooth, but it's gone and I don't miss it.

I think I was expecting to never be hungry again, and that is not the case for me. I do get hungry and I know that I need to eat, however after I eat about 1/4 cup of food I am stuffed, and very content.

So I think it is both ways, because I was expecting to not be able to eat to much, and that is what I wanted and that is what I got.

If I were a time traveler and had the option of going back and telling my pre op self whether or not to do the surgery, I would travel back about 5 years ago and tell me to do it then. I am so happy that I am no longer consumed by the thought of food. I was truely addicted to it, and now I can say I am free!

good luck!

The results were far far beyond what my comprehension was pre sleeve. It is really honestly for sure without a doubt hands down the best thing in the world I have ever done for me and myself. And no, I'm not just saying that. I really mean it. Every word.

It is just like I imagined, but I think I didn't realize how much the people around me would change as well. Some of its good, like my boyfriend dropping weight with me. Some of its bad, like getting stares from people who know what I used to put away. I love my sleeve, and I wouldn't change it for a thing.

It EXCEEDS expectations. I had worries (as everyone does) that it would not work and I would still be insatiably hungry.

My "bad" effects from the sleeve are minimal, I had a long bout of nausea and a lot of gurgling and discomfort but no real pain. This eased up totally after about 1 month.

I have a lot of excess stomach acid and am on a PPI (Omiprazol), while it is true that the majority of the acid pumps are cut off what are left still over run the small sleeve that's left. I may be on a PPI for a long time or even life. It's a small price to pay.

I now seldom get hungry, at least the hungry I used to feel - my stomach screaming "FEED ME" all the time. Now when I am really, really hungry it's just a small nuisance and I fill up fast.

The weight just literally fell off and I felt no ILL effects from it. I did not drink enough Water so I had a few bouts of kidney stones, so now I drink a ridiculous amount of Water to keep them flushed.

It is without a doubt the BEST thing I have done for my health EVER.

Recovery was a bit tougher than I expected. I was not one of the lucky ones who felt great in a week. I took pain meds for about a week and a half. I was super tired the first couple of months and didn't feel 100% in the energy department till about 5 months out. Instead of dropping steadily, my blood pressure did a wild up and down thing for a while and it still goes up once and a while. Losing weight did not cure my joint issues, but once I lost weight the doctor could see how swollen my joints can get and I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

I am so grateful that while my hair has thinned, it is not so thin that I have had to change my hair style. I was worried I would have to get extensions or go short (hubby hates short hair).

It was easier to go heavy on the Protein than I expected. I was a carb monster pre-op and I really dreaded having to eat Protein first. But it totally doesn't bother me now.

I was worried I would not be able to lose the weight even with surgery, but now I am just 13 teeny pounds from goal.

At almost seven months out, I have fewer side effects than I expected. I can eat spicy food, have a drink, and generally enjoy myself without it bothering my tummy. One thing: I am now lactose intolerant and I drink my morning espresso as a Soy Latte instead of straight. Straight espresso is a bit harsh for my tummy now.

Lynda

I am only 1 month post op... so far this journey has been by far better than anything I could have expected. I have lost about 25 lbs ( including the pre-op shake time) and feel so good. my only complaint is having to eat slow... I work at school.. (schools train you to eat FAST) and I have worked here 23 years.. so I naturally eat very fast. Slowing down has been the hardest thing for me. I would do this over in a New York minute!!! I just hate this was not an option for me until now... wish I could have done it 15 years ago!!

Rhonda

My ? is for those who have been sleeved. I will have WLS on12/15/11 - i am soo very excited, like expected.

I have heard the "honeymoon" period of the sleeve is around 8 months or so. Does that mean it doesn't work after that?

What confuses me about weight loss weekly, is that when you eat so little, why isn't more weight lossed? Many of us WW people would lose minimum 1-2 lbs. a week, so what gives?

I see people lose alot of weight weekly but others stalling for months at a time. I know we all stall but.....

I'm am so very excited about getting the sleeve soon, i hope its ok to ask these questions.

Thanx kathy

I was not prepared for the mental challenges I was initially faced with. I mourned food and went through a grieving / withdrawl process. But I went through it and didn't get stuck on it. I am almost 7 weeks out and still crave things and unfortunately, my appetite has returned. My eyes are still too big for my sleeve but I have learned that it's ok to throw it away. I have always been a "gulper" and this has been the hardest thing for me to stop.

If given the opportunity, I would go through it all again, gladly! I feel more in control now than I have ever been. I don't plan my day around when I can eat again. I don't finish Breakfast and start thinking about lunch. I don't worry about whether a chair will hold me or if I will be the largest person in the room.

So I guess the answer is yes. I have changed since the sleeve, for the better. I am still me, but improved!

Shae

A whole bunch of great info...... thank you!

I never thought about the thrill you would get from losing weight, and that every time you jump on the scales is like Christmas. Even if I'm having a stall (like I've done twice already now) I still don't feel the agony I felt before surgery when I got on the scales.I've lost almost 50 lbs in less than 2 months, thats the best present I've ever given myself. And it's alot like having a baby, you quickly forget all the pain and suffering and would go through it again in a heartbeat!

It is much like I expected as far as being able to eat what I want. Find myself bored with food. Have a hard time with Proteins. Ground beef is hard so are eggs. I don't like the way food feels. feel like I am surviving on Protein Drinks, Protein Bars and string cheese. Didn't expect the frustration of not being able to eat one minute and the lack of interest in eating the next. I am so glad I did this but still learning the ropes. I must say I expected to lose much faster than I am. I have been on diets and lost 20 Pds a month and I am not doing that now. Maybe because I eat what I want? I am almost 8 weeks out from surgery and including 5 days pre op diet I am down 30 Pds. Was expecting more.