Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low End Bmi To Qualify For Gastric Sleeve...don't Want To Lose Too Much?

I was 205 now 199.5 and I have 5 weeks left on the 10 week required program for my insurance to cover(plus the 4 previous months of wiegh ins and seeing nut and psyc). I asked my surgeon up front "How much can I lose before they cut me off and won't cover it?" He said 12-15 MAX sooo I'm walking the tightrope here making sure I don't lose too much but still be alittle ahead of the game! I don't think it will be a problem not losing TOO much with the holidays coming up LOL and I'm hoping to be sch. last week of Jan. 1st wk of Feb. Has anyone else been on the teeter? I do have co-morbidities with borderline BP and BS, plus arthritis and scoliosis. What about when I do my Liquid Protein diet the week before? This won't boot me out will it if I lose 10+???

Hi Mommy794,

I'm also a Texas girl! I'm also so close to being in the same boat as you. I currently weigh 195 and I'm 5'7" and my BMI is right around 30.5. I would never quilify for insurance to cover for the VSG so i'm a self pay. I feel judged so much about wanting this surgery. If losing weight and staying at a healthy BMI was doable, I would have done it by now. I have decided not to tell anyone that I have scheduled the surgery and already paid my deposit (except my husband). I feel like I'm expected to gain another 50 lbs then it would be ok to have the surgery. I don't want to waste another year consumed with my weight. Yes, I can lose 20 or 30 (I need to lose 55 or 60) but I always gain it back plus an additional 5 or so. So I just wanted to say hi and tell you I understand about having a low BMI. Good luck with your journey!

I am 5'6" and Kaiser had approved the surgery, but when I got to the surgeon, I had lost weight and no longer qualified for the surgery. The only thing that got me the surgery was that I had diabetes. I wasn't taking any meds for the diabetes because I chose not too. It was an uphill battle until I met the second time with the doc. She looked at all my blood work and confirmed that I was diabetic. It was a real hassle. I even stopped eating healthy and tried to gain weight, but lost instead. My surgery was Oct 4 and I am doing really great. Yes my best friend is very judgmental about the surgery but I don't care. It's my body and I do what I need to so I can get healthy. Go for it! It is totally worth it. ;)

It doesn't matter how much you are overweight.. if you are unhappy and can't stand to be fat another day then you should be just as entitled to have VSG as someone who is more overweight. At the end of the day it is about quality of life and sometimes 50 extra pounds is crippling to a person! I was self-pay and wanted to lose about 60 pounds... if you are 300 pounds overweight or 45 you are struggling! Good luck to you! :)

I have gone through the hoops with my insurance company also my BMI is at 36.7 and I have high blood pressure,sleep apnea,bursittis in both hips,lower back issues,foot problems.I weigh 210 and im 5ft 4in and I can't beleive all the CRAP my insurance put me through.Ive been trying since Dec,9.2009 to get the surgery done.Then they decided I needed to be on a 6 month supervised diet with my Primary Dr with journeling and monthly weigh ins.Did all that as well.My surgeon sent in my claim in Sept,2011 and I was denied.I thuoght oh no so I and my Drs appealed it.Took awhile but on Nov,30 I won my appeal im scheduled for my surgery next week on Jan,10.2012 and its been a LONG journey but I was determined to win.Im like most of us if I could lose the weight I would but I could only get off a few pounds and gain it all back and another 10 or more to go with it.So hang in there and don't let your insurance Bully you into giving up.I also get questioned alot because of the lower BMI.Good luck you will get there.

I'm approved and going tomorrow to try and sch for Jan 30. Just found out fri that my husbands ins. Which is my 2nd insurance also will cover had has exactly same pre req as my insurance. So now I'm hoping between the 2 I can afford my portion that is left. Hopefully I will he some answers tomorrow!

I'm sch. for Feb 6th and everything is a GO! I could have done the 30th but with my husbands work sch. it ended up it I did it on the 6th he could take of 2 weeks to be off with me. I'm soooo ready to do this and be on the road to being much healthier and feeling better over all. I'm not nervous yet but I'm sure I will be soon LOL just excited!

I'm sch. for Feb 6th and everything is a GO! I could have done the 30th but with my husbands work sch. it ended up it I did it on the 6th he could take of 2 weeks to be off with me. I'm soooo ready to do this and be on the road to being much healthier and feeling better over all. I'm not nervous yet but I'm sure I will be soon LOL just excited!

We're sleeve twins!

Lol yep! I'm so ready ! On the bright side I've lost 6 this week on the liquid diet and still 2.5 days left ... Wishing is BOTH luck and speedy recovery!

Does anyone know, if you are already approved for surgery but your weight goes below the bmi they require because of the pre op diet, can they cancel or stop it?

Idk I guess it could happen... I only lost about 5 before and now another 6 on 1 week pre op diet. I asked my Dt upfront how much I could lose before they would cut me off he said about 12-15 max.

Idk I guess it could happen... I only lost about 5 before and now another 6 on 1 week pre op diet. I asked my Dt upfront how much I could lose before they would cut me off he said about 12-15 max.

But was this before or after you were approved?

I had just made the BMI requirement and was diebetic. With prediet, I lost enough weight to put me under the BMI and the surgeon's office told me I couldn't have the surgery. WTF! I was so angry until I remembered that I didn't tell them I was taking lisinopril to protect my kidney's. The PA told me it was still a no, then I made an appt with the surgeon, and she gave me the ok. I felt as if when I came in for the procedure, they were going to tell me I couldn't do it because I wasn't ft enough. So frustrating. I suggest to just loose a little, because the bottum line is $$$$. They don't turn any one away unless they absolutely have too. Good luck! Hope to hear from you soon. ;)