Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Disorder Developing After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Well guys I saw my psych yesterday and he says the scared to eat issue is VERY common among wls patients. He told me about under eating actually being MORE condusive to developing a disorder as you can not sustain starving yourself and will eventually gorge or something. I was not undereating by much, just a little less but I didn't want any condition to develop. He told me we should take the time to truly recognize the changes that are occuring in our bodies, Celebrate every pound lost even if it takes a month and tell myself that the old me is dead and buried and this new me who is working so hard to be healthy and stick around is all that matters.

Thanks for the update CT, that does make a lot of sense. I think it all takes time too, getting comfy with the new us we have become. All of the dieting and fear of food all these years is not going to go away over night. For me, I think once I realize I WONT gain my weight back, I won't always feel like I'm in diet mode.

Good luck!

I don't really BELIEVE that I can keep this weight off. I really WANT to believe it, but reserve the right to see how it goes in the long run. I think this must be a self preservation method or something... my only experience is gaining the weight back.... The statistics say I have a better chance to lose the weight and keep most of it off then plain dieting and exercise alone. This gives me hope. When in the first stages after the surgery, when I was eating 4-6 hundred calories a day, I could see how the desire to comply and control my input could have gone towards anarexic control. I read in these forums people who were so desperate to get out of liquids, they would chew and spit out food, which is a method used by those with eating disorders. I could really feel the desperation of those posts. I don't want to fear food or over-love it ether. Thats one reason I have not used a strict low carb diet with the sleeve. I want to feel as normal and non restricted as I can manage and still lose weight. I'm rambling, but the whole eating attachment/repulsion thing is so worth looking into.

From what I am reading it sounds like there is a chance to eat after gastric sleeve? I have eaten 1 Greek yogurt, 1/2 a rotisserie chicken THIGH, two crackers (for nausea), and 1/4 of a Protein shake since Monday (this is Thursday). I am doing fair on fluids since I have been hospitalized for dehydration since my surgery 3 months ago. I have gotten to the point that I DESPISE eating because it hurts! Either heart burn (and stomach burn) or pain in my left side near my waist. My bariatric said this is normal and gave me Carafate. Long story short, will I be able to eat again somewhat normal? Why are some of you worried about gaining weight back is why I am asking? I wouldn't be able to tolerate a feeding tube because the pain is in my stomach. I need hope that I may be able to eat something someday. Please tell me that it true!

From what I am reading it sounds like there is a chance to eat after gastric sleeve? I have eaten 1 Greek yogurt, 1/2 a rotisserie chicken THIGH, two crackers (for nausea), and 1/4 of a Protein shake since Monday (this is Thursday). I am doing fair on fluids since I have been hospitalized for dehydration since my surgery 3 months ago. I have gotten to the point that I DESPISE eating because it hurts! Either heart burn (and stomach burn) or pain in my left side near my waist. My bariatric said this is normal and gave me Carafate. Long story short, will I be able to eat again somewhat normal? Why are some of you worried about gaining weight back is why I am asking? I wouldn't be able to tolerate a feeding tube because the pain is in my stomach. I need hope that I may be able to eat something someday. Please tell me that it true!

This is a 3 year old post. I'll try and answer. The pain goes away. Most people eventually can eat normally again once things are healed.Bad food habits can creep back in. People can and do figure out ways to eat around small stomachs. Eating non-nutritious slider foods can allow the weight to slowly creep back up. Additionally not everyone has pain. I had none.I had some mild acid for a few months that was successfully managed with omeprazole. I haven't needed to take anything for acid for over a month now. I have yet to eat or drink anything that upset my stomach, caused nausea or made me vomit.

I read in your other post you are seeing a new bariatric doctor. Hopefully he will find the right medication to help resolve your nausea & acid issues, and the pain you feel will go away as you heal.

Thank you. I anticipate the day I don't regret this more than both ex-husbands.

I am 6 months post o.o Sleeve surgery. I was 255 and now I am 168. I am not eat I g properly because i still feel like I'm fat. Just the smell of food makes me sick. I have also been having complications like severe stomach pain and throwing up after eating the smallest amount of food. Everything tastes different to me and that is another reason why I do not want to eat. I would be very content Sri king Premire Protein Shakes and bars for the rest of my life.

I find myself becoming obsessive about working out. I also am fine if I miss a day of food. My friends are kind of calling me out on not eating enough and over exercising so I'm trying to find a healthy balance.

I don't feel like I'm developing body dysmorphia or anything, I think what I see in the mirror is not distorted by my mind's perception of me. I feel like I'm just pouring all of my intense energy and focus into this process and going a little over board. But I'm getting a six-pack set of abs underneath all this extra skin that squishes around my midsection...and I love it!

I love sitting down when I'm naked and seeing the muscles in my thighs and legs stand out while all the excess skin puddles around the seat. I know it sounds weird but it's so satisfying to me to see my muscles begin to outshine the fat and skin. *sigh* I'm loving this process and if I get a little too intense about it, as long as I'm healthy, I'm OK with it.

Nothing weird about that at all. You are experiencing something amazing. You are supposed to be happy and excited about the changes in your body. That is the reward for going through a very difficult procedure.

I am looking at myself and I still think I'm fat even though my family says I am getting too skinny.

I am about a year out from my surgery and worry about this daily. I even see a therapist, nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders and a psychiatrist who also specializes. When I was younger, (7th grade) in order to take back some kind of life control, I spiraled into an anorexic eating disorder. I was counting my calories and was nearly 88 lbs, and for a 7th grader at 5'2, it wasn't what I wanted to be, but I couldn't help it.

My father punished me for it by saying I had "no upper body strength" and since he had military experience, he would then be my drill instructor. I was doing push-ups, burpees, riding the spin bike, and hiding rolls of quarters in my hair for weigh-ins, it was utterly sad. After I moved out and was no longer living with him, I considered all exercise to be punishment. It also didn't help that my thyroid wasn't working correctly, I felt like gained so much, replacing my exercising and food calorie counting addiction to eating all my feelings and refusing to workout due to much anxiety and flashbacks. Soon there after, I found out that it wasn't my fault entirely, Lyme disease, a few sleep disorders, anxiety, and major depression played huge rolls in how I got to this page in my life. I am doing much better now. I still see the doctors and nutritionist and therapists, because I am trying not to fall back into old habits, it would be so easy to. So I must protect myself.

Hello guys
Just wondering if anyone has developed a touch of anorexia or food disorder after surgery. Im dealing with feeling sad and scared after I eat anything. I feel like any food I consume is counter productive and Im scared I will gain back weight with every meal. I know im not getting enough calories in each day but im so scared to eat and put the weight back on. Im scheduled to see my psych next week and I will be discussing the issue with him but Im wondering if any of you guys have experienced similar problems. I have waited so long to get this surgery and I would hate to do anything that would effect my weight loss but I edon't wanna develop a complex.

What are your stats? And it's so good your addressing this now you should be proud of yourself. If you want to talk about it feel free to pm me
I don't want to put my business on here but I get it

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

All that discomfort at 3 months is concerning. I was eating normal as pie 3 months post. 4 months out now all good.

What are your stats? And it's so good your addressing this now you should be proud of yourself. If you want to talk about it feel free to pm me
I don't want to put my business on here but I get it

Agreed! If you need to talk, or have references, let me know! Also, something I forgot to mention on my previous post, I am pretty much an open book, but if you need more info about my story, I would be happy to provide it, I was just trying to get the gist without any triggering anything. It's also amazing that you are recognizing even the slightest blip on your radar! I, as a child didn't see it until I was caught by middle school science teacher! Your thought process is pretty sound. Realizing that you may have a problem is the first step and the second is reaching out is the second. You can beat this and anything else. @dreamingsmall I didn't mean to piggyback off of your post, I just forgot to say some stuff, and I loved what you had to say! :)

sw: 334
pre-op: 314
cw: 213