Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Cons Of Gastric Sleeve Life! :-(

Hey, I can deal w/ that.. I'd rather be cold and healthy... than hot, miserable and decreasing my life expectancy daily!!!

I am always freezing too and prior to surgery I was the one at the office with my fan running when everyone else was running their heaters. :smile1: But, I wouldn't trade my sleeve for anything. I've lost 43 lbs in 11 weeks and already left diabetes and high blood pressure far behind me.

I know right??? I just bought a new fan right before my sleeve for my little cubie. I think I've used it 1 time since. That said, I nice warm heater is in order here!

@favored - It's close!!

@Diva, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!

I was always hot & had a fan going no matter where I was...living room, bed room, work! Not anymore!!! I'm 5 weeks out today!

Let's see.... constantly sweating vs. chilly and in need of a sweater?

Thinking....

Thinking....

Thinking...

Oh yeah... you can always put more clothes on, but you can't always take more off! That settles it. :)

I'm usually the person who is always cold, until I started working in the office I work at! It is always so hot and my little fan doesn't help one bit! I wouldn't mind running colder.. At least then I wont feel like the fat girl complaining about being hot! I'm still wearing flip flops to work because to me it is so hot in that office.

I too am cold and as I've discussed before I started feeling so IMMEDIATLY after surgery. I went from walking around San Diego in 60 degree weather wearing shorts sweating beads to waking up post surgery shivering, so it's from something other than just fat loss. This summer was brutally hot for weeks on end and I literally had to stop and think "Yeah it IS hot" whereas prior to WLS I was hot in virtually ANY temp, I used to actually LOVE to get cold occasionally.

One issue I've have post op that I really hate is the consistant issues with kidney stones due to reduced Water intake immediatly post-op, unfortunatly I've had to go from drinking LOTS of Water to drinking a rediculous amount of water just to prevent them. I have to urinate so often it's really annoying, especially getting up to go 2 or 3 times each night, my old issue of Constipation is back with a vengance too, for some reason I just seem to pass most of the Fluid rather than adsorb it.

Agreed Rootman, the coldness started immediately for me too. Being I was so used to feeling overheated all the time to freezing - I wasn't used to it. I say I'm still not...

Question: is there any help with that kidney stone issue? I mean, will it ever go away? That has me curious.

I was always cold ...my fat layers NEVER insulated at all! They were just plain old fat layers!

I love my sleeve! I do still have the head hunger but it doesn't take much to satisfy when something evil :devil_smile: is calling my name. Oh and my mind tells me ( :blah:) sometimes that when we go out to eat that I am hungry enough to eat a big girl plate and my emotions make me want to throw a big fit if I don't get to order my own plate instead of sharing like a child. My hubby knows just to let me order my plate and waste our precious hard earned dollar(s) so he doesn't have to listen to me have a melt down. Then....as if... I didn't know I had the sleeve surgery, my brain turns back on after about 2 or 3 bites and says...OH MY GOSH, there's no way I can eat any more of this. I mean really, I've wasted some money on this problem a couple of times since surgery. :frusty: What a great problem to have!!!! Did I say I love my sleeve?

And most of the time, I don't feel like that. Then we share and save lots of money AND I'm satisfied because for the most part, most of the time, I'm not hungry and I eat because I have to. Oh yeah, that's a huge problem too...you know, not being hungry most of the time.

So yeah, you have problems when you have the sleeve.....BUT I love my problems!

My con-and one I'll just have to get used to-is that food doesn't taste as good when you only take a tiny bite and have to chew it to death. But i think that is definitely a con I can live with.

Sometimes, you get funny looks about what you eat from people that knew you before the sleeve. :(

I was always freezing and still am. Curious about how I will feel during our Minnesota summer. Also, out on my motorcycle....hmmmmm?

Con- trying to understand all the post diet stuff. I think some of my decreased ability to comprehend came from the drastic reduction in calories. I sort of feel off. I am clearing up lately but keep in mind I spent the first 3 weeks severely fatigued despite sleeping normally. I believe it was my body's response to surgery and it trying to heal itself.

No regrets tho, just challenges.

Agreed Rootman, the coldness started immediately for me too. Being I was so used to feeling overheated all the time to freezing - I wasn't used to it. I say I'm still not...

Question: is there any help with that kidney stone issue? I mean, will it ever go away? That has me curious.

I've got a friend of mine (one of the smartest men I know) who had kidney stone issues. He swears by lemonaid or lemon Water daily. Something about the acidity of the citrus helping break those stones up or something. He said his recipe was diabetic friendly (since he was dealing with that for awhile) so I can probably get the recipe from him if you're interested.

I've always said I'd rather be cold than hot because you can always put on more clothes but when you strip down to skin? Not much more you can do. LOL Although post-sleeve this is ridiculous!! I typically go sit outside in the morning with the dogs, have my coffee and read a little. That's my wake up routine. The last few mornings I've had to put on a hat, gloves, a long robe length zip up hoodie thing (with the hood up over my hat), on top of my fleece pjs!! It's only been in the mid to low 50s too. It's going to be miserable when it gets truly cold lol. But this summer? LOL I can't wait to be able to wear the J Family "summer uniform". Whenever we BBQ and his family comes over, it's always hilarious to see because his mom and all 3 brothers are always wearing shorts and a sleeveless. I've started calling it the J Family summer uniform. I've always been odd man out for obvious reasons but it's going to be fun next summer.

Let's see - "Downside" of the sleeve:

- You will be tempted to spend $$$ buying a wardrobe of new, sexy clothes once you get to goal (in additon to all of the in between sizes)

- You will spend a bunch of time going through your old clothes to find what fits, and getting rid of "fat" clothes and you shrink out of them

- You will get LOTS OF ATTENTION as you are shrinking (and when you are at goal - I'm not there yet).

- You will be COLD - but sweaters look really nice on thin people!

I think these are the "worst" of it. I LOVE MY SLEEVE.

I teach school and ALWAYS have an oscillating fan on, windows open, and short sleeves. Kids have to wear parkas in my room! Lol, hoping to break that cycle after surgery!