Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Beginning -- How Does The Gastric Sleeve Effect Your Stamina/energy?

Well, here we go. Or here I go. I just joined the forum, although I've been reading various posts for a while now. I just turned 49 years old, weigh 232 and am between 5'7" and 5'8", and I think I'm finally ready to get rid of this weight I've been carrying around for the last 25 years. Initially I went to the surgeon to investigate the lapband. I didn't tell anyone I was going -- not even my husband -- because I was scare? embarrased?

I really liked the surgeon, Dr. Ganta in Austin. I've read a few reviews that his staff is somewhat disorganized, but that is really secondary to me. My main concern is getting a doctor who knows what he's doing. Dr. Ganta seems very competant, was articulate, addressed all my question, and was well acquainted with the current literature. (My husband is a physician, and I've worked in the medical field, so I know my way around things overall.)

After doing some thinking/reading/praying/etc., I'm leaning toward either gastric sleeve or gastric plication. Right now I think sleeve is the way to go. If I'm going to go to the trouble of having surgery, I want it to work. I've read several mixed reviews of the amount of weight loss with the plication. Of course, the information is just annecdotal because there isn't really much good research in the US at this point. I read the Brazillian study, which was informative.

I'm in graduate school (second career) and I'm wondering how the surgery will affect my stamina. The coursework is demanding, and I have three kids and a busy life, so one concern is keeping my energy up. Of course, the extra weight I have drains my energy. I've had lots of knee issues, as well as back and sleep issues. My health is the main reason for me to take this step -- I want to be around for a long time, and I want to be able to keep up with my kids better and with my grandkids when they come someday. Plus I'm starting a new career when I finish grad school, so I want to be healthy and fit and ready to go.

I welcome any thoughts about the journey. It's truly inspiring to read the stories of others.

Hi Sophia, I am currently about 4.5 months out and about 46 pounds lighter. Like you I'm a grad student, a FT employee, wife, mother and the list goes on. My energy and stamina has greatly increased. This was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It is quite an adjustment I have to admit, but well worth the change.

Best wishes!

Sophia, First, welcome to VST! You are going to love all the information available here!

Second, I am 45 and I was sleeved 3 months ago. At the time of surgery, I was not able to walk from my car to my apartment and forget carrying in groceries. Yesterday, I walked the entire length of the mall and back, with side excursions into all of the big stores and several of the smaller stores! I started at 352 (HW) and weighed 337 on the day of surgery.

I'm down 60 pounds from my highest weight and I feel amazing! I can walk and carry in groceries and go to the mailboxes and go in and out of stores...and.. and... You get the picture! :)

I've felt great and more energetic since just a few days after surgery. I know NOTHING about plication, but I adore my sleeve (Rex is his name)! Rex is a PITA about not letting me eat lots of food, or letting me have milk right now, but he's been a Godsend to me. I'd do it again, and again, if I had to do so. And, I had to have two surgeries besides my sleeve (Filter install/removal) in order for my surgeon to agree to do my surgery. I'd do them all again if I had to.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but add me to the Endorses the Sleeve column! :)

virtygirl and Lissa,

Thanks so much for your responses!! I can't tell you how encouraging it is to hear your stories and see the amazing success you have both had. Wow!!

What do you guys do as far as Vitamins? Protein intake? I'm guessing that Vitamins and Protein are the keys to keeping energy and to not loosing hair, etc. Is that right??

One thing I've noticed in myself is that I feel reticent to tell lots of people that I'm going on this journey. Maybe that is why a board like this is so helpful. Somehow, I feel like people who know me will be judgmental or critical. What do you tell people when they ask about your WLS? Is it just me who feels a bit private about it?

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragment. It really helps!

I preach (and try to get) 70g of Protein and 64 oz of Water daily, mostly because that's what my nutritionist and doctor preached to me. I've read tons of people who are having problems with low energy and bad hunger problems, but I haven't had much of that. Of course, my hungry days ended when my pulmonologist switched me to Tums for Calcium rather than the chewable Calcium I was taking. My WLS doc agreed to the change because of other Rx meds I'm taking.

My daily Vitamin regimen is as follows: 1 chewable Centrum per day (was 2 until I started solid food), 2 chewable Tums morning and night, 1 Biotin in the morning, 1 B12 in the morning. I'm considering adding magnesium for joint pain in the next few days, but need to get it approved by the pulm doc first.

I started taking Biotin at my 2 month surgiversary in order to (hopefully) head off the hair loss, but it's not completely successful for me. I am losing more hair than I am used to losing regularly. I have purchased a couple of hair pieces on the advice of my hairdresser and will probably end up using them later.

I've been VERY open about my WLS, even posting a little information on my FB page. I don't announce it to strangers, but I have told several people who have asked about my rapid loss. I don't think it's that noticeable, but others tell me that it is dramatic. Many people don't talk about their WLS, and that's perfectly acceptable.

My theory on it is that WLS won't become an accepted solution until others see us losing weight and living healthy lives. I have many aunts and cousins (mom was one of 17 kids) and they are all built like me. They are all watching me to see my results. Once I really lose weight, I have a feeling my doctor is going to have lots more business!! :)

Good luck! :)

I've read a few reviews that his staff is somewhat disorganized, but that is really secondary to me. My main concern is getting a doctor who knows what he's doing.

Unless you are self pay, I would strongly encourage you to RUN away from a disorganized staff. Insurances usually require a long list of documents and tests and a disorganized staff will cause you tons of headaches and delays. In regards to getting a doctor that knows what he is doing, you should consider a Surgeon of Excellence. You can read about it here:

http://www.surgicalreview.org/locate/asmbs/

Best wishes in whatever you decide!

Hi...your post rang a bell here. I am 45 and was 230 lbs 5'1" and had been on a diet for YEARS. I work full time and am a mom to two (including a very busy 4 year old). I wish I would have done the surgery YEARS earlier. I feel great and have lost 75 (maybe more now scale broke and pants loose again) hahahah.......

I ended up self pay. Some of lab work and xray and preop testing was covered by my insurance even though they don't cover bariatric surgery.

I know it is expensive (and I never spend money on me always the kids or hubby) but felt like I needed to do it to save myself and my sanity!

Never look back! One of the best things I have done in a long long time.

I bought a dress for hubby's Christmas work party......size 12-14.........and if you could have seen my hubby's face last night.......and he LIKED me heavy.......the surgery was worth every penny! I used to wear a 2X......

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the insights.

Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover WLS, so I'm self-pay. That will definitely streamline the process. I ran a medical office for several years, so I know the ins and outs of how to get things done, even with insurance.

Excited for the next visit in a couple days! And a little nervous. I have a list of questions for the surgeon, many of which have come from reading comments on this and other sites.

Thanks for the support!

Sophia,

I'm a mom of 2 teens (one with special needs), work FT as a project manager, and carry a FT load as a graduate student. I had tried to schedule my surgery for the end of summer break, but things didn't work out, and I ended up having my surgery the day before the fall semester began. I will admit that the first week I was foggy and it was a bit of a challenge to get things done, but since then I've been able to keep up with my assignments easily. To be honest, one of the biggest challenges is that now that I'm lighter I tend to go out and do things more, so it takes more discipline to make time to do my course work, but stamina is not a problem. From your posts, it looks like you're a very organized person, I think you will do great!

IslandGrrl, sounds like we live very similar lives! Thanks for sharing your experience. And way to go on your progress so far!! I can't wait to be in your shoes. Sometimes I'm organized, but not always. : )

How have your kids dealt with your surgery and weight loss? Your co-workers?

I'm hoping to have the surgery after finals in a couple weeks, which will give me the holiday break to recuperate.

Sophia, go ahead and do the sleeve. It will be the best decision you'll ever make. Its 10 days now since my op and my stamina is just so high right now. I actually feel absolutley normal.

Sophia, go ahead and do the sleeve. It will be the best decision you'll ever make. Its 10 days now since my op and my stamina is just so high right now. I actually feel absolutley normal.

I noticed you are from Kuwait. I am curious about how you finance the surgery there. Were you able to get the surgery in Kuwait? It seemed to me more specific or specialty services were a little difficult to come by.

Just curious, and I hope not too private of a question. :)

Not at all.

Yes i had my operation in Kuwait. VSG is very popular here as with Gastric Bypass, Lap Band and Lap Balloon surgeries. Actually the first Lap Gastric Bypass surgery in the ME was performed in Kuwait in 2003 by my doctor Prof Jarallah, also the Misiter of Health 1999 - 2006.

There are many ways to get financing, mainly through banks. For example a certain bank offers a " Health Loan " with very easy payments and with an interest rate of only 1%. You also get to pay your first installment in six months. Most medical insurance companies do not cover VSG unless the client has at least type 2 diabetes.

Hope i answered your question.

I had the VSG with Dr. Ganta and he was absolutely great! Yes, his staff seems unorganized and they don't return phone calls well but don't let that influence your decision. Dr. Ganta did a great job and I have no regrets!