Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post-op Only But I Need More Than Jello...help?

I know everybody's different AND I'm ONLY on my my 5th day post-op and yesterday it seems like nothing is satisfying me:( I had different flavor jellos but I'm just done with it, well at least not every meal.I also do all kinds of broth, pudding..no so crazy about it and an occasional apple sauce. My hubby extra pureed a mashed potato for me on thanksgiving and was really scared to have a little. I had couple baby spoonful of it and was really satisfied. @ of my girlfriends at work said that I shouldn't have no appetite whatsover, so now I am really scared WHY do I even feel hungry then?

SO, what else CAN I have besides Jello on my 5 day post-op? I have a wonderful hubby that will try to accomodate me in just about anything, so preparing, making, cooking won't be a problem!!! I JUST NEED ANY SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS and your help is much appreciated....

THANKS MUCH!!!

Edited by md071273

Broth!!! I loved chicken and beef broth while on Clear liquids. I got sick of the sweet stuff fast, too. But, the broth saved my sanity. If you drink it warm, it gives you a wonderful warm, full feeling in your tummy and it tastes like you had real food. It's not high Protein, about 3g per cup, but it helps with that hungry feeling. Be sure to look for the low sodium versions if you're buying broth. I prefer mine out of the box because you can heat up 1 or 2 oz and keep the rest in the fridge.

Good luck!

Thanks Ms. Lissa, I edited my post and I forgot the broths, apple sauces and pudding...BUT none seem to be helping much:(

Edited by md071273

I am 6 days post-op and although I am not really hungry, I though I might ask how much Water you are getting in? Also, are you drinking all your Protein Shakes first. My doctor said I can't have pudding, applesauce, or anything like that until 2 weeks post-op, but all doctors are different. Have you tried nibbling on suger free popsicles? I've had a couple of those, and it makes you feel like you are eating something more solid. But more importantly, the more water you can get down, the better. The Protein shakes are alo important during this stage to allow your sleeve to soften and heal. Good Luck!

I think what you are feeling is the effects of the surgery and excess acid in the stomach. Are you on meds for acid? The thing that made my hungry feeling go away was warm liquids (broth or tea) and a GASX strip along with the warm beverage. I was taking Famotidine (Pepcid) morning and evening and a prilosec at night. If you work to get your liquids in (64) and try to get your grams of Protein (60) in, and you get your acid under control your hungry feelings should subside. I think the acidy/ crampy feeling, combined with head-hunger is what you are experiencing. ,

I know right, all doctors are different. They said if it goes thru a straw you're okay. I do alot of Isopure on plenty on crushed ice. I have 2 different boxes of the sugar-free popsicles but it's like eating a straight sugar on a stick.

SK is right! I totally forgot about asking if you are taking an acid reducer! :) Once I started taking Tums (for Calcium, per my doctor), I stopped having hunger pangs unless it had truly been several hours since I ate something.

I actually looked at Prilosec today at the store, but it seemed like it was overkill (for me) and the Tums are working for me right now.

Good luck!! :)

patience is the key. at my one week post op doctors visit I was so ready to eat something I could scream. Before you know it you will be eating regular food.< /p>

Broth!!! I loved chicken and beef broth while on Clear Liquids. I got sick of the sweet stuff fast, too. But, the broth saved my sanity. If you drink it warm, it gives you a wonderful warm, full feeling in your tummy and it tastes like you had real food. It's not high Protein, about 3g per cup, but it helps with that hungry feeling. Be sure to look for the low sodium versions if you're buying broth. I prefer mine out of the box because you can heat up 1 or 2 oz and keep the rest in the fridge.

Good luck!

hi lissa i have seen many of your helpful answers to posts. So here goes. I am pre-op DOS 12/6/11. I'm excited, nervous, a little scared about having the surgery. But what I'm the most scared of is not eating correctly. I am supposed to eat 3oz per meal, correct? So if I have broth for lunch for example, thats all i eat 3oz, no more til dinner? correct? this is especially right after the WLS when my stomach is starting to get use to liquids and eventually mushie stuff and then food, correct? Sip, sip, sip H20 and walk around alot, hopefully rest a little too, but i know walking is very important too. Immediately after my surgery, how much SF popsicle can i eat? How do I measure that, along with SF Jello? I like both, how much can i eat? Is this like the 3oz per meal, or is it like drinking Water, no limit? That doesn't make sense, so i'm confused. Could you give me a little help about what to eat immediately post op. Thanx :help: kathy

Right after surgery for the first couple of weeks get the Fluid in. You will prob not be able to drink 8 oz. You will prob only be able to get in 3-4 oz. Drink whatever goes down well. After you get sick and tired of Jello and sweet stuff, I found that egg drop Soup (you can even blend it early on) was a welcome relief. Don't worry about limiting yourself on sf popsickles etc. Your biggest problem will be staying hydrated. Little by little you will start working Protein in. Unjury chicken broth has 20 grams of protein in it and is not sweet. You have to order it online. It saved me the first couple of months. The egg drop soup also has protein in it. :) Good luck!

I am 11 days post op and today I made a refried bean crepe that was delicious. Just beat an egg, fry it than put refried Beans and a bit of cheese. Roll it up like a burrito. It was heaven.

I also did refried Beans with ricotta and it was pretty good.

I have also cooked black beans with spinach put it through the food processor and it was so yummy.

Chobani (greek yogurt) with strawberry and a scoop of chocolate flavored Protein in the freezer for a bit is like an ice cream.

1 tablespoon of Peanut Butter mixed up with one of whipped cream is awesome for the sweet tooth.

I can't wait for 2-3 wks post op so I can eat chicken salad and salmon.. I am getting bored too.