Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry All The Time After Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I question why I am so hungry all the time. I still graze through the day needing something to eat an hour after I finish a meal. Maybe I am not eatting enough at meals. And almost 2 months out and Water still doesn't go down great

Well the first question we always ask is are you on a PPI? The biggest culprit for causing that "I'm hungry" feeling is acid and for many of us, once we're on a PPI we're fine. If you're on one, talk to your doc and adjust your dose. You might need more or it might not be an acid problem at all.

If you Water is cold, try drinking it at room temp. I had trouble with Water for a long while. I had to add something to get it down or it made me feel nauseous. Try Real Lemon or Real Lime packets, room temp water and even a packet or two a day of Crystal Light. If you can get those down, you're fine.

Are your meals made of dense Protein? Eat things that make you feel full - Protein and Fiber together pack a wallop and should leave you feeling satisfied for a few hours. Evaluate what you're eating - if you're eating yogurt and feeling hungry later, well, that's probably because yogurt slides right through. Try eating dense protein first, then moving onto fibrous veggies and finally onto a few bites of your soft carbohydrate like mashed potatoes.

Try to set an eating schedule and limit yourself to set snack times. If you must graze, try to track your calories and log all of your food so that this doesn't become an ongoing issue. I tend to "forget" to log food I graze on, and then I fall off track and stop losing. This is a bad habit and will impede your success.

And, I suppose it could possibly be bad news. If you try everything here and still feel hungry after two weeks you might be one of the very few who never lose the actual, physical hunger. This is bad because the lack of hunger makes the surgery easier. However, it doesn't mean you can't succeed. You still had 85% of your stomach removed and will still have a great deal of restriction. If you force yourself to follow good eating habits you can still lose your weight.

My opinion is that the hunger feelings will fade. They are almost always tied to acid or diet.

Good luck!

~Cheri

is it hunger or digestion? I amhaving trouble distinguishing the two right now so I have put myself on a schedule. I will let you know if it helps because I just decided this tonight.

Another thought would be excess acid. If you are not taking an acid reducer then maybe you should ask your doc about one because this seems to work for a lot of people (I already take 40mg of nexium so this is not the case for me).

I hope this helps.

Shae

Man, I have to type faster! LOL! There were no replies when I started typing. Good to know we are on the same page though.

Thanks for the advise. I am eating a lot of yougert and foods that slide. I do not take anything for acid and will ask my doc.

Hi, all of you are pro at this surgery, good to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but I have a question did anyone got a lot of gas aches after the 3 to 4 day of surgery is this normal?

Hello every one I'm 5 months post op, I've lost 35 pounds, the last few months no weight loss and I always feel hungry. I'm a vegetarian so I know it's harder to get the Protein. I'm always switching from shakes to cheese or greek & yogurt. You know what I mean. I talked to my good friend who went through a gastric and she advised me that there are times like this where you just don't lose weight. I can not eat a lot when I do eat but every few hours I eat a snack or food. Sometimes I feel like I eat too much. I'm still learning how to eat right and how much. I'm not giving up just always looking for new ways to eat and what I can eat. Oh forgot to mention I had to have my gall bladder removed about 6 weeks ago. Anyways my friend said it took her a year and a half to lose all her weight so I figure we're all on the right track it just takes time and EXERCISE!!!! Which I do 2 to 3 times a week. I did this to lose 50 pounds it doesn't matter how much you are over weight because you know it and you feel it. That's why I went to Tijuana to have my sleeve because I couldn't have it done in the US. SO I have 15 more pounds to go.

I asked my surgeon about this before my surgery. What he said is that some people still feel hungry because they are use to their stomachs stretching when they eat. When we are now told to eat a certain amount, we are not stretching our stomachs. He told me to drink just a sip of Water to help get that stretch if I need it after I am done eating. Maybe this will help you. I know it has helped me.