Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odd Or Normal? How Was It For You?

Friday, 11/18/11, I was sleeved at 8:45am and was home by 3:00 on the same day. No nausea, came home and slept on my side and can turn in bed just fine, no pain - feel like I've done too many sit-ups that's all, no drain, no pain meds at all, and plenty of energy.

This morning, Sunday, forgetting I should take it easy, I actually plopped myself down in the recliner. Not so lady like, but it didn't hurt one bit. Today, I'm just slightly sore. I drank 3 Protein Drinks that I got from costco (30g each) and then drank a large mug of yummy Tomato Soup made with Water, not to mention the 2 bottles of water I emptied - all of them consumed today. I haven't felt restriction, but just drink in sips - well, to be honest I drank more than sipped a couple of times today out of habit.

I could have easily gone to work today. Tomorrow I will begin Christmas decorating, albeit slowly because I don't want to over due it. I'm going to call my surgeon tomorrow and ask how large my stomach is now. I hope he took more than a pinch out! LOL!

How has your experience been and what do you think accounts for the differences? It's weird to feel odd because this has been so easy.

I'm so glad to have had the encouragement from people on this forum!

That does sound odd,but awesome at the same time! lol. I'm not sleeved yet by the way so no advice here,sorry!! =(

Well, that does seem like you have a large capicity? My first week out was barly able to get Water in just because of size limitations. I too had a completly stress free post op. Walked right away in hosp, no pain, no meds and have continued to do so. I guess I would ask my surgeon what size the stomach is and maybe be careful about putting too much in although believe me you will know when you have over filled.

The day after surgery I was given 6 oz of chicken broth to sip. I could have easily consumed the entire thing but I was scared. Like you, very early on I could consume what seemd to be regular amounts. It wasn't until week #3 post op that my restriction factor kicked in. I started getting really full very quickly. My tolerance for Water and other liquids changed drastically. I'm 2 months out and now I can drink just about anything and pretty decent amounts. Initially, I was told 8 ozs of Water should take an hour to drink. 8 ozs takes me about 5 minutes now...easily.

Even though you feel good still take it easy and don't do to much. I'm sure you feel good on the outside and it may appear that your scars are healing well, but just remember inside is something different all together. That will take a little longer so please be careful.

All the best and congratulations on your surgery. I'm sure you'll do well.

Niki

My recovery has not been as good as yours but close. I did have a hellish 45 minutes of dry heaving, nausea & acid pain at the hospital, but other than that it has been pretty good. The first day home from the hospital I drank 61 ounces of liquid/73 grams of Protein & ate 4oz pureed fruit (in two servings). I do have to sip small and constant, but that is improving greatly.

I can sleep on my side since day 2-3 with a tad of discomfort that goes away with well placed pillow. I took only one pain medication to sleep better, not that I was in pain. I even went to the movies yesterday! I filled a 12 ounce bottle with smart Water, crystal light, benefiber & some Isopure juicy Protein and sipped on that. I did great. I still can't believe it.

However that is THE only thing I have done aside from sipping & walking. I feel great, but I am taking it very easy. I don't want to go backwards. I have soothing music as we speak, I get up constantly to walk around the house & I sip sip sip all day long. Later I will walk a little outside to get some sun. Take good care of yourself!

Keep in mind the stomach is numb and very injured! Nerves were cut. It may not know what the heck is happening to it... some people have terrible effects, and you have not... which is GREAT for you, I was pretty much the same, but this does not mean everything is cool. Watch your intake, sipping is good. Watch your use of the stomach muscles too...Take it slow and after 6 weeks the stomach is healed most of the way. You can play with it more then. Restriction shows up seriously with dense Protein after 4-6 weeks. Take care girl!

Wow, either your superwoman or you're doing extremely well. . . that is amazing! At 2 years out I still have to sip my fluids, can't drink more then 2 oz before i feel restriction and still get the slimes if i eat more then 6 oz of food at a time. . . .how big is your bougie? Sounds pretty big. . . take it easy with the plopping down onto the recliner though. . . and be careful with the decorating. . . good luck and keep us updated on your progress. . .

Hey, Veda....I'm 4.5 weeks out and I was, and am, the same. I can't down fluids all at once, but I could handle what you're describing. My surgeon used a 32 Fr bougie, one of the smallest, and now I can eat two scrambled eggs for Breakfast. I could also sleep on my side right away, go shopping on day three, cook for my family, went back to work fairly quickly. I did pull my tummy muscles a couple of times, but nothing serious, healed in a day or two, just like I overdid it while working out or something.

I too felt (and feel) odd since I don' seem to have the same challenges everyone else has. I feel like it's 'not right' since my recovery has been so different, I figure I am either extremely blessed, or maybe I will have restriction problems later and maybe not lose as fast. That doesn't seem to be the case....I've lost 28 lbs since 10/20 - surgery- and I have tons of restriction now when I eat, can't do more than the standard 1/2 cup, so I guess I'll be thankful!

I honestly do sometimes forget I have even had this done.....weird. But again, I am probably one of the lucky ones. I have experienced no pain, have not vomited or slimed once, have not overeaten to the point of discomfort, no issues with weakness or fatigue - I had more energy almost from the first.

Hopefully it will always be this way! Only time will tell. Keep up the good work, do be careful, don't overdo it, and just enjoy the ride!

Your experience is pretty much exactly like mine was, except my surgery was not outpatient. Enjoy it while you can, because restriction WILL hit, and if you're like me you won't be ready for it because the first 2 stages (all liquid, soft foods) were so easy. Now, I'm lucky if I can get down more than a couple oz's at a time of solid food. But I'm not complaining :)

That is good that you are doing so well. Dont push it though. Thanks for keeping us updated.

You are probably not a sweller, like most, meaning, most folks, including myself, had a very swollen stomach after surgery, which is normal. It just underwent a MAJOR surgery and reacted by swelling. This would restrict the size of the sleeve even more. Myself, I could only get in a few sips an hour for about the first week after.

I have read many other stories of people similar to you. Some people swell something fierce and others not at all. But I think you need to be extra cautious, though. My body enforced taking things easy because of the swelling. You must do it more conscienciously. Remember, you have a stomach with tiny staples trying to heal. Don't put too much in. It takes at least 3 weeks for the sutre line to heal.

Thanks everyone!!!

I will take all experienced advise I can get.

Taking it easy and realizing that restriction is probably going to happen soon. I won't worry about losing weight for now AND will ask about size of bougie when I see my doctor the next time.

Christmas decorating will wait - I will take it easy, despite how I feel.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Like you, i feel like I recovered very quickly and easily. I didn't notice much restriction with liquids from day one - I was able to get down my 64 oz of fluids easily the first week. I also didn't notice much restriction with mushies/purees, but boy did I notice once I started eating solid proteins!!

I also went back to work after 5 days and was very active quickly.