Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week Out. Need ideas for Full Liquids?

I am about a week out and on full liquids for another couple weeks. I am trying to drink my protien drinks and recently ordered some unflavored Protein whey powder from GNC to start adding to my crystal lite but I know all you creative folks out there have some other ideas for full liquids! Also drinking broth and non-chunky Soups. When can we make Protein Shakes with bananas and stuff or how about mixing Decaf coffee in? Any help would be appreciated. Starting to feel more and more hungry (probably mental).

My dietician gave me a couple of recipes for Soups on the full liquid phase. I was skeptical, but they're very good. My husband tasted them and said he would eat it for dinner anytime. My favorite is the Southwest chicken Soup. Combine in blender or processor, 2TB fat free cream of chicken soup, 1 TB chopped deli-type chicken, 1 TB of salsa from your favorite Mexican restaurant (I just used Wholly Salsa) and a dash of southwest blend spices (I used Emerils, but Mrs Dash has something similar). I added a little fat free chicken stock too (the recipe called for FF evaporated milk and FF refried Beans but i left those out. Leaving them would provide even more Protein though). Just blend everything until smooth then heat in the microwave. So yummy! And great protein source. If you like this one, I can post a few others. I also bought a copy of a cookbook she wrote specifically for bariatric patients. If anyone is interested I can send you more info on that. She works for my surgeon, but I'm sure she could still sell those cookbooks to people that aren't his patients.

Ok, here's a couple more:

Harvest Soup

1oz finely diced turkey breast

2T 98% fat free cream of chicken soup

1T Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix prepared with Water (I used chicken stock for more flavor)

Chicken stock or broth

In food processor pulse until turkey is finely ground. Add soup and blend until smooth. Add stuffing and pulse until smooth. Add chicken stock until soup reaches desired consistency. I also added a dash of poultry seasoning. This will be a good alternative at Thanksgiving. :)

Spicy Bean Soup

1 and 1/2 cups fat free retried Beans

1/2 cup salsa from your favorite Mexican restaurant

6oz shaved deli chicken

8 oz evaporated nonfat milk

Dash of southwest seasoning

Place shaved chicken in food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add refried Beans and salsa and continue to blend until smooth. Add evaporated milk and blend until smooth. May thin with a little chicken broth if needed.

Hope this helps!

Thank-you for these recipes!! How long after surgery were you able to eat this? I am supposed to be on a clear liquid diet for 14 days and I am dying!!

Well, if I were able to, I am allowed to eat them now. I was released from the hospital on full sugar free fat free liquids, so I had made these up ahead of time. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do more than taste them yet. I'm still having a hard time getting much down. I'm very lucky if I get 20 oz of Water in, and today is the first time I was able to get down an entire Protein Shake (though it took all day). I was also able to eat a sugar free Popsicle. I'm just trying to take in a little more every day. But as soon as I'm able to, I've got plenty of Soup in the freezer. :)

Full liquids I was allowed anything I could fit through a straw. Thin cream of wheat, applesauce, drinkable yogurt, egg drop Soup, Tomato Soup with cottage cheese blended in, thin pudding, blended cheese and broccoli soup. That's all I can think of right now!

Oh Clear Liquids. Dr. Aceves let me have Soy Slender even though it's not clear because it's very thin. It's on the shelf not in the fridge. Isopure if you can stand it, and Syntrex nectar has quite a few clear Protein Drinks. Besides that I put GNC unflavored Protein Powder in gatoraide, poweraide, Hawaiian punch, and crystal lite are all sf. Also K20 Protein Water.< /p>

Wouldn't these recipes count more as "pureed" foods rather than full liquids? My surgeon said my full liquids can include only liquids that can be strained. I have been living on Water, milky things and Tomato soup!