Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved on 11/2 and back at work on 11/7!!!

Hi ALL!

I had my surgery last Wednesday, 11/2! I am back at work today Monday 11/7. Now I do work at a desk so it is not "hard" work.

I was taken back to surgery about 8:15 am last wednesday. I woke up in recovery and felt fine except naturally felt "drugged". I was back in my room by 11am.

the doctor I had was wonderful and even tho we knew there would be some complications I felt went fairly quickl I knew there might be complications becaue I had an incisional hernia from a surgery years ago, I had the mesh put in. We knew there might be scar tissue and the doc said it probably would be about 1hr longer than normal.. it was.

When I got to the room, I was sleepy but did not hurt. I assume they had given me some good pain meds. I slept some then woke up thirsty, I was given a small amount of tepid Water to drink. mostly needed to wet my mouth. They give you a medication that dries your mucus out. so my mouth was like cotten!! I sat up, I walked to the bathroom and walked around the room some. I never had pain, just discomfort like I had done a lot of sit-ups! (the 6 small incisions on my tummy)

I slept/awoke/walked/slept.... in various order... in the afternoon I still didn't feel any pain... I felt I had better get "ahead" of the pain so I asked for something thru the IV.. the only thing available was morphine... which is fine with me...I love morphine!! I got a dose and slept for awhile. I had lots of company in the afternoon and evening.

THe hospital I was in was really great.. they had a suite of rooms for all the bariatric patients.. my hubby got his own connecting room and his own little living room, with a couch that made a bed. For supper he got a filet mignon!!! I got broth!! but boy did my broth taste good!!!

I asked for some pain meds so I would be able to sleep. I am a VERY light sleeper and knew I would not sleep well. I got more morphine... yippi!!! I had taken my sleep mask, and my noise machine so I actually slept eally well in my morphine induced sleep! I woke up the next morning early and walked the halls. My doc came in and said I could go home after lunch. so I napped, walked and walked some more.

After a lunch of chicken and mashed potatoes, hubby had a wonderful looking lettuce wrap with a fabulous looking key lime pie we packed up and went home. On the drive home I got really tired. I dozed most of the trip (30 minutes). We got home and both decided to lay down and take a nap. After the nap we got up and messed around the house.

I still had no "Pain"..

On Saturday, I got up went with hubby to the feed store, went to the barn and watched him do stuff there. (we have horses/cattle/chickens/and 1 goat) I got tired so he took me home for a nap. That evening, I just messed around the house, went outside, read, enjoyed my view.

Sunday morning, I got up went to Sunday school Worship service, and went out to eat... to eat I had turkey/dressing/potatoes. I asked for extra gravy and mashed my turkey in it. then added non flavored Protein poweder in my dressing and mashed potatoes. I could not taste the powder and it added protein to my meal. I naturally only ate a VERY small amount. I took the leftovers home and have since divided them into tupperware and have 5 more meals. I told hubby that our grocery bill might go down!!

I got up this morning extra early so I could sit and eat my Breakfast. I fixed instand oatmeal w/protein powder added. it was good and apparently I ate it too fast.. because I got waves of sickness, hot, and sweat breaking out... I laid down for 10 min and felt better. I finished getting dressed for work, I work at a high school in the discipline office. so my work load is all sitting on my butt. I have felt fine after getting to work. I have drank about 1 cup of water and have just now eaten one of my "meals" of turkey/dressing/potatoes. I have eaten it very slowly and other than my tummy growlilng it has gone down fine.

so... If you think it can go smooth.. well it can!! I just hope it stays this smooth and pain free!!!

I have lost about 15lbs from the 2 week Protein shake diet and since surgery.

Rhonda

I was reading your post with a smile until I got to the part about you eating chicken and mashed potatoes and then turkey/dressing/potatoes. Did your doc not prescribe a clear liquid diet for your first week post-op and then 2-3 weeks of additional liquids (e.g. soups) after that? I ask because I'm concerned that maybe you missed some instructions from your doc somewhere along the way. The sleeve created by the surgery needs weeks to heal properly and based on what I've been told (and read on here), you can do some severe damage to your sleeve by introducing the wrong foods this early after surgery. I'm not a doc but I would recommend another discussion with your doc just to verify what you should and shouldn't be eating now and for the next few weeks.

I understand your concern.

I know each doctor is different. Mine has me on liquid the first day, then for 1 month afterward I have to eat very mushy foods and Soups. In the hospital they brought me a "paste" of turkey and chicken" that was thick but ground up very fine. I chopped my turkey very fine also and added the gravy to make it more mushy. I also ate mashed potatoes in the hospital that were acutally thicker than what I made mine. I thank you for the reminder though!!!!

sorry if this is "underlined" for some reason I cannot get my typewriter off it.

Rhonda

I am so happy for you!! It sounds like you are doing great. It actually gives me some hope that I will do well after my surgery too. Every doctor is different and if your doc thinks you are eating fine then that's what matters. He obviously thinks you can handle it and will know when to stop and also not to push yourself and your new little tummy too far. Good Luck it sounds like you are doing amazing!

Wow congrats! I hope I do as well as you!

Wow, that's fantastic. I was sleeved the day before you and I'm feeling great too. Not on mushy foods yet, I'm jealous!!! But next week I will be!!!

Congrats on such a great recovery! My dr is another one who moves to soft foods faster than some. After 3 days of clear fluids I was moved to pureed/softs...and have done just fine. I've read so many different post op diet plans...it's strange that there isnt one totally right way. Listen to your dr and your body and you'll be just fine :-)

You would think there would be a more "consistant" plan among doctors about the post op- liquid to mushy food time line.... make sense????

I also have read on here and other forums that there are doctors that do everything from nothing but liquid for 1 month after surgery to like mine.. 24 hr liquid then to mushy food. I know my doc is a great one... I have spoken to lots of folks who used him and so I have complete faith in him. I am trying to make anything I eat as soft and mushy/soupy as I can.

This morning my sweet hubby scrambled me an egg (soft) and I ate it. I ate it very slowly and took the 30 min. but I should not have eaten those last 2 bites!!!! I started getting sick and started burping. (thank goodness I started burping) and was sick to my stomach with a feeling the last 2 bites were in my throat. as I was driving to school i burped up some liquid bubbles that was very slimy! I got to school and walked around burping more and now feel just fine. but needless to say.... I will take those last couple of bites slower now.

Rhonda

Rhonda - my doctor said that in the beginning we can handle scrambled eggs, but for some reason people don't handle scrambled eggs well. Any other type of egg is fine but something about scrambled doesnt always agree with our new tummies

I am having surgery on the 16th of December. Through my reading and research I have heard that you have a "Clear liquid" diet after surgery for anywhere up to 3 weeks? Is that NOT the case? I am told I will be on a liquid diet from the 2nd pf Decmber through the 14th.. and then a clear liquid diet for two days before surgery... afterward.. I have heard it can be 3-10 weeks of liquid diet...

Thanks for sharing your story! I too have horses and dogs, I am curious when you think you can return to normal chores.

My heart skipped a beat also when I read that you ate turkey and mashed potatoes! It must be nice! I am still post-op and I don't know what kind of diet he prescribes for post-op. I do know that 2 weeks pre-op I have to start on the South Beach diet, Phase 1, in order to shrink the liver. I will be curious to find out how long I will be on liquids.

Good luck to you and keep us posted. By the way, I really enjoyed your detailed description of events after surgery. It would be nice to hear other accounts like that as well. It kind of gives us "pre-op" girls an idea of what to expect post-surgery.

I was on the liquid Protein shake diet 2 weeks before surgery, I couldn't handle the NOTHING BUT shakes, so I cheated some... but when I cheated I cheated with lean Protein. The favorite thing I cheated with was costco's turkey jurkey..... it was tasty and gave my mouth a workout. I would chew, chew and chew some more.. that definately got me prepared for the post op eating. I lost 10 lbs pre-op.

My doctor has us eat Liquid only for the first day of surgery. then we move on to mush in the hospital. the foods I eat are just as mushy as the paste I ate in the hospital. I have a small (tiny) food processer and I have pureed chicken, turkey, Soups, etc.... it taste just like it is suppose to... but looks like babyfood! not the first pureed babyfood that you feed your baby, but the next state.. soft, some lumps but soft lumps of food. Saturday I made chicken and dumplins... they were yummy. I actually didn't food process my poprtion, but put the small amount in the bowl and took my ford and mushed it up... then when I would eat my tiny bite.. I chewed and chewed and then chewed some more till the food practically disinigrated (sp) in my mouth and just vanished. I am suppose to eat pureed foods for 1 month, then will move on to "soft" foods. so at Thanks giving I plan on eating the regular meal... just smalllllllll amounts and will use my food processer on the turkey and anything else that might be "firm".

I know each doctor has different rules and you need to follow the guidelines your doctor sets for you. MIne thankfully allows mushy food quickly.

By the way, I asked my doctor when I could ride again... he laughed and said... well you can ride immediately after surgery if you can GUARENTEE (SP) you won't hit the ground... its not the riding that will hurt you but that hitting the ground that can get you every time.... since I don't have a dead head horse. I can't guarentee that.... he then said 6 weeks... yuk!

I am now 12 days post op and over the weekend I was cleaning stalls. I naturally wouldn't scoop up a "BIG" pile of poop but did smaller loads. Made my darling daughter push the wheelbarrow out to the poop pile. (I probably could have done it, but heck might as well ride this "helpless" stuff for awhile!!!)

I have been going down to the barn since 3 days post op.. those first few days I just watched while hubby did chores but by 7-8 days post op I did the feeding, I was just always very careful not to get bumped, pushed or {shudder} kicked! we have a new mare and they are still getting the "pecking order down" so I actually do have to watch for those kicks... Not that I've actually had to dodge one. but you never know!!!!

I still am not allowed by hubby to drive the 4-wheeler but do drive the golf cart. Our 4-wheeler is heavy and twisting it around could pull something. I expect I will be allowed back on it next week or so.

Being back at work has been fine... I worked the first 2 days for just 1/2 day.. then went home and napped. The 3rd day I stared working all day. Now I am a early to bed person so each night that first week back at school I would go to bed about 8-9 each night. (got up at 5:30-6) This past weekend I didn't nap on Saturday but did take my normal sunday afternoon nap. then went to bed last night about 9pm. got up this morning at 5 and walked 1 mile.

I have done so well, if it wasn't for the tape on my stomach (steri-strips) and the fact I can't eat but a small amt. I would think they REALLY didn't do the surgery. I feel great. I have had 2-3 episodes of feeling too full, I think it is not the actual amount I ate, but ate too fast, because I would burp (I am a champion burper)..... so eat SLOW!

Rhonda