Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG..13 days till surgery and I am changing my mind

Ok so I am scared to death..I have 13 days and have only lost 1 pound (my surgeon only requires 5-10 lb weight loss before surgery). People in my life think I can do this on my own..I am 254 lbs. and 5"7. I have only been overweight the past 12 years but have been on an up and down cycle the whole time. I WANT TO FIX this for life and get off the rollercoaster. Advice?

Hang in there, you will be so happy you did. It is easy for others to say you can do it on your own, they probably haven't been where you have for the last 12 years. I had my surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago, 9/27, and was feeling the same way you are. I almost walked out of the surgery center after being admitted. But I stayed and I am very thankful I did. I did have a lot of pain for about a week, I see others that are pain free after 4-5 days, mine was much more than that, but everyone is different. That is long gone now and I am feeling back to myself and adding in different foods. I am already down 31 pounds, 9 pre-op and 22 the last 3/12 weeks, almost a pound a day. You will feel so good and the results are awesome. It is so cool, today I had a chicken pot pie, a small one from Swansons, ate almost all of it, took my time to chew and swallow, but was full for 4 hours. You can do this and you will be very happy you did. I was there and it is still very fresh! It is still your decision, but I say GO FOR IT!!!

No one can tell you what to do. But I can tell you that probably everyone who is getting this surgery has that moment of panic about what they are about to do to themselves. I wrote letters to all my family & friends the night before saying goodbye because I was so convinced that I would die during the procedure. But I had come to the decision that I would rather risk my life & potentially die than to continue on as I had been... fat, miserable, & ashamed. Most people who haven't had weight issues will tell you to do it on your own. I had tried and failed for 10 + years & was fatter than ever. All I can tell you is that I wouldn't change having the surgery for anything. I'm down over a hundred pounds since January. I feel better than I have since I was in high school. I still have to work to lose the weight (eat right & go to the gym), but the surgery has made it so my hunger is under control & if I do mess up & eat something I shouldn't, i physically can't overeat the way I would have before. Good luck!

Krista

If you even considered surgery, you were probably at the end of your rope. Let go of the rope and grab the sleeve. I'm seven weeks out and cannot believe the freedom I feel and the money I'm saving on junk food. I've had no complications....Praise the Lord! Be sure to follow your doctor's advice and don't stray. I can't wait to read your posts post-surgery. Good-bye rollercoaster!

I am getting my sleeve on Nov 1 and even though I sometimes feel like I should not go thru with it. I am so ready to lose this weight once and for all. I also felt I could do it on my own but how many years have you been trying that?? Way too many!!!! If you made a commitment to do it then obviously you felt that it was what you wanted. I don't think you or I will regret it. Please read thru all of these different posts because you will hear some amazing stories that will give you more confidence in getting it done. Good luck!!! :)

my pre op post was called "backing out" I was sure I was not going to make it and I was scared to death--my only regret now is that I didn't do this sooner!!!

LOW Carb! Keep your carbs below 30 a day and you will drop that weight. The SLEEVE IS THE BEST! I've never regretted it 1 second since I got it!

I'm 5'7, and my highest weight was 255, which is when I decided to get the sleeve surgery. I was sleeved almost 12 weeks ago, and I am down to 206. This is the lowest I've weighed since around 2004-2006. I couldn't have done it without the sleeve. I did lose about 10 pounds on the prediet, so I was 245 on the day of my surgery.

It is a scary surgery, but I thought the way my weight was going and what would happen if I didn't have the surgery would be even scarier. In the last year, I was gaining weight and couldn't control it no matter what I did. I didn't want to be at 300 in a couple of years.

If you are having trouble losing, are you eating carbs? They tend to make me maintain and/or gain whenever I eat too many.

Don't let the 1 pound loss discourage you. It will happen.

I quit needing pain meds when I was still in the hospital. I haven't had any nausea or vomiting -- not even in the hospital. I had trouble drinking 64 ounces of Fluid at first, but I am able to drink that now.

Good luck.