Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Gastric Sleeve Op Liquid Diet: 13 Days To Go. Why Do I Have To Do It For So Long?

I think taking a closer look and asking questions out loud is a great start! Shining the light on old mechanisms can make room for change...for the better! This is what it takes for the sleeve to work at its best. Keep up the good work... I have had to look at similar things too...I'm sure many here have.

I did a two week pre-op diet, and it was pretty much the same as yours. I was allowed Clear Liquids, Protein Shakes, and SF drinks. By the time I started back on mushy foods and solids, I was OVER sweet stuff. I've had some SF popsicles since surgery, but no real sugar. I can't handle the taste of sweets because I got burnt out on it between the shakes and the SF crystal light and Protein Water. They say it's to shrink your liver, but I think it's aversion therapy as well. I have NO desire for sweets and I was definitely a sugar eater before. :)

the headache is long gone and i am still hanging in there. but since this morning i have been feeling indescribable fatigue. i have hardly any strength to walk. has anyone felt that? is anyone taking supplements before the surgery?

Torrid, I've been taking multi-vitamins since I started the pre-op diet. I like the Centrum chewables, but there are other options out there. For pre-op and until I started solid foods again, I took two multi's a day, now I'm taking one a day. I also take sub-lingual B-12 and three chewable Tums per day now. I haven't added in the Biotin yet, but I see that in my future as well.

hi Lissa! JUST GOT BACK HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!

got sleeved on the 26th! oh god i am so glad i am finished with this now. it took so long to get there. i have terrible cramps in my stomach, like it is contracting hard, every now and then. they have me Tylenol Codein rx for pain. did anyone experience those cramps?

i have been given the same things as you, but only 1 multiv a day, and only after the surgery, not before.

the absolutely most horrendous part of the whole process is that i was kept without any drink (or food) for 45 hours in a row. it was intolerable.

i have 11 staples on my belly that need to be removed next week....

the only thing i feel like drinking is a rose syrop with ice and the SF popsicles. that's it.

I'm thrilled that you're on the loser's bench with me!! Welcome! I didn't experience the cramping, but I was given a ton of shots of Reglan right after surgery to help with the cramping and the acid.

Work on the sipping as you go along and take the pain meds if you need them. :)

oh you had nausea? reglan is used for that normally.

it is so funny; each body reacts differently...

my neighbour at the hospital, who had the same surgery, was vomitting all the time.. i wasnt.. but she didnt feel the pain..

crop queen, congrats on the new sleeve!

you feel good after 3 days? do you not have staples on your belly that cause discomfort?

No. I've never had nausea. The nurse told me the Reglan was for acid reduction. Either way, it worked. :)

I am also doing the 2 week pre-op diet to get sleeved on Nov 1st. Mine was very strict. 5 Protein Drinks, 1 cup broth, 3 fruits, 3 vegatables, and SF Jello. And LOTS of Water. The first few days really sucked, but I was losing weight every day. In a week I lost 8lbs. Now I am in the home stretch, but I gotta tell you, it's harder for me. I have been going to the gym, working out really hard 2x a day, almost every day, so I am burning those little calories up and I AM HUNGRY. I have been sneaky a little babybel cheese in the afternoon and sometimes just a small bite of whatever I am making the family for dinner. Not much, and I am trying to make sure that it isn't full of carbs. I also made Soup with vegatable broth and a whole pile of veggies, and just ate that for dinner. I also dipped carrots in salsa as a quick snack. But luckily, I only have 2 more days, then only Protein drinks on Monday then I head to the hospital for the big day on Tuesday. I hope I did well enough on these past 2 weeks to be able to have an easy surgery. Good luck and hopefully all will be well with you!!

I don't understand why the 2 week (or more) pre-op diet either. My surgery is Nov 16, and my instructions are to start liquid diet 24 hours before surgery, also my pre-op day. I am also supposed to take a laxative that day, I guess, to clear my gut. I am concerned whether I should start sooner with the liquid diet or not.

elise

I did 2.5 wk preop Liquid Protein diet n on day of surgery no one even weighed me. Even when I asked. After surgery they said the liver was fine. I had a couple instances during that time where I had veggies and plain chicken even and Jello.< /p>

It was good to do the preop liquid diet cuz it prepped me for this post op liquid diet . One wk down, one go go.